Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence question

Options
  • 02-06-2011 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

here's one for ye.
    if i wanted to rebarrel my tikka and change the caliber from .223 to .204, even though the serial number on the gun would be the same would i have to use the fca1 form and pay for a totally new licence or would i use the fca2 amendment form

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

At last someone talking sense ;) It would be an enlightened decision :D

FCA1 and do a substitution as your reason for the firearm remains the same, just a change in calibre.

I changed my Swift to 204 this way :cool:

But as ever it will all eventually depend on what your Super requires :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

At last someone talking sense ;) It would be an enlightened decision :D

FCA1 and do a substitution as your reason for the firearm remains the same, just a change in calibre.

I changed my Swift to 204 this way :cool:

But as ever it will all eventually depend on what your Super requires :rolleyes:
    well my super is anti .223, i had a fair job getting what i've got, but i'm lucky as he's one of theses guys that thinks a bigger number means a more powerful gun, so he might welcome one less 223 in his area.
    i'm just toying with the idea at the moment, might never happen.
    there's a custom 204 in stakelums with a burris scope i've got my eye on too. if i could persuade sean to separate the scope and rifle, and take my tikka and mod as a trade in i'd seriously consider buying it, then stick my nightforce on it plus one of those light weight roedale mods and it would be a sweet setup.
    only thing about it is the cheek weld would be a lot lower than the tikka, i'd probably have to put some kind of adjustable cheek piece on the stock because i'm really after getting used to the high cheek weld with the adjustable cheek piece on the supervarmint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

declan1980 wrote: »
    ...........well my super is anti .223, i had a fair job getting what i've got,..............

As is my own :rolleyes:
    ...........but i'm lucky as he's one of theses guys that thinks a bigger number means a more powerful gun, so he might welcome one less 223 in his area.............

Mine will grant 204 or Swift but not 223 :eek:
    ...........there's a custom 204 in stakelums.............

A friend of mine owned that.............VERY accurate rifle was doing 1" at 300 yards with Hornady 32 grain ammo (he had a Nightforce on her also) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

If your barrel is still in good condition could you get it rechambered rather than rebarreled. I've been toying with the idea of rechambering my .308 to 30.06 as it needs recrowned anyway and it could be a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sfakiaman wrote: »
    If your barrel is still in good condition could you get it rechambered rather than rebarreled. I've been toying with the idea of rechambering my .308 to 30.06 as it needs recrowned anyway and it could be a lot cheaper than a new barrel.

No, as it's a different bore diameter. Also, if your .308 is a proper short action, then you're probably going to run into issues with cases catching on extraction as the .30-06 requires a long action. Going .30-06 to .300 win would be more typical as they have the same action length.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If you have .308 your options are short action only as IWM previously stated.
    A recrown is small money for a noticeable difference in accuracy.
    Also pillar bedding of some actions greatly improves accuracy.

I had enquired about re-barrelling in different calibres and it was compared to changing the engine size on a car, it still has the same tax book and reg, just the form needs to be amended.

Dec, your rifle Ain't broke, so Don't fix it :D

In terms of renewing barrel life, rechambering it in .30-06 would give you a whole new throat, but it'd be simplest to cut the thread off, rechamber and rethread it and keep it .308 to get that, wouldn't even require any licence fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

My 308 has a Mauser action and is plenty long enough for 30.06, in fact I think 30.06 may feed better as .308 is a bit short in the magazine. The rifling looks ok except at the muzzle so I was thinking a shorten and recrown plus rechambering would improve the accuracy at a reasonable cost and not cause much hassle with the PTB.

My 308 has a Mauser action and is plenty long enough for 30.06, in fact I think 30.06 may feed better as .308 is a bit short in the magazine. The rifling looks ok except at the muzzle so I was thinking a shorten and recrown plus rechambering would improve the accuracy at a reasonable cost and not cause much hassle with the PTB.

Ah yeah, should be perfect so. Personally I wouldn't like a short .30-06 barrel as it'll be terribly blasty and won't beat the .308 for performance, despite costing more to run and being louder and kicking harder but I'm a fan of slightly longer barrels anyway. I like 24" on a sporting rifle for handling and don't mind longer either depending on the cartridge, so my bias is pretty clear. Great round though, you certainly won't regret it. What's the rifle, out of curiosity?

Rechambering is not as cheap as you think, you have to cut a lot of meat out of chamber to accept .30-06
    sibling01.jpg
    If it is a hunting rifle I'd get a gunsmith to look at it as a barrel trim or recrown could be all you need

Or your action worked on.

• Advertisement

thanks for the info lads, i'm not sure what i'll do with the rifle. it's shooting less than a half inch at 200 yards as it is and i'd hate to put a new barrel on it and risk losing that accuracy.
    if that custom .204 is still in stakelums next year i'll buy it, but for now i have other financial matters to take care of

thanks for the info lads, i'm not sure what i'll do with the rifle. it's shooting less than a half inch at 200 yards as it is and i'd hate to put a new barrel on it and risk losing that accuracy.
    if that custom .204 is still in stakelums next year i'll buy it, but for now i have other financial matters to take care of

What I first noticed with a custom barrel and factory hunting ammo, was the lack of winddrift
    The wind drift was almost half with a 24" 1/8 Truflite Vs a 26" 1/12 Factory

What I first noticed with a custom barrel and factory hunting ammo, was the lack of winddrift
    The wind drift was almost half with a 24" 1/8 Truflite Vs a 26" 1/12 Factory
    what are your group sizes like since you got the custom barrel?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

here's one for ye.
    if i wanted to rebarrel my tikka and change the caliber from .223 to .204, even though the serial number on the gun would be the same would i have to use the fca1 form and pay for a totally new licence or would i use the fca2 amendment form

That would only work if you (declan1980) were getting rid of or trading your .223 barrel. As in you no longer owned it. If you intend to keep the .223 barrel you must use FCA1 to make a new application for the .204 barrel on the same serial numer. So you will end up with 2 licenses on the same serial numbers, but under different calibers.

The only way to have multiple barrels for the same rifle is if they are the same caliber as the original license. So you could have 2/3/4/5 barrels all in .223, but the minute you change the barrel caliber you need to get a new license for the new barrel.

Of course selling, trading, getting rid of the .223 barrel would allow you to do a straight substitution.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement