Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballymacool Woods

Options
  • 02-06-2011 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Have jus put a deposit on house to rent in Ballymacool Woods, this is A bit late since I've placed the deposit but I was jus looking for some feedback on the area?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I used to live up there in the green,

OP have you a car or a bike? if not its a 40 minute walk to the nearest shop for milk. AFAIK they still don't have a shop out there handy so its 20 to town and 20 back.

The bus service was/is dodgey at best. very VERY rarely on time out there.

The park is a nice bonus for summer days.

We never had any problem with neighnours but i have heard some bad reports i dunnno if it was them being just hateful about foreign nationals or there was something going on, but from my experiences no problems

The wee pub down there is a nice wee treat, small beer garden in front and a nice atmosphere inside.

Overall your own transport is a must, if you have that you're grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cheers. We both have cars so transport wise we're fine and I've seen the pub at the front of the estate, looks like a nice cosy place alright, many a Sunday afternoon will be spent there!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

If you're up in The Green, run.

Don't even think about the deposit, just run.

I lived up there for 6 months, in that time the car was broken into 3 times, there were fireworks thrown at the house, and during the bad snow last year we discovered someone had been trying our back door to see if it was unlocked. Not to mention bags of coal and a gas tank being stolen.

We sleep in our new house with the bedroom door barricaded, all doors (inside) locked, and with our coal bunker/oil tank padlocked, all because of The Green.

It's ballymacool woods, don't know if it's close to the green or not but now I'm worried :(

Well they fairly close, its all the one estate really (a fairly big estate though) just broken into different areas.

what made you think of the place in the first place OP?

• Advertisement

Nothing in particular, looked at a few places and it seemed like a nice place, just outside town, nice little pub near it, close to GAA pitch. Ahwell it's only a 6 month lease, worst comes to worst I'll find somewhere else. Is it really that bad though???

edit: ive just looked at a map, we're quiet close to the entrance to the estate, just off the main entrance if ya get me?

yeah thats right next to the pub isn't it, i guess its just luck of the draw. hope it all works out!

Me too :o yeah its jus up from the pub, 2 minute walk, little away from the Green, hopefully far enough :D

Checklist:

Oiltank lock
    Steering wheel lock
    Crowbar inside front door - check :D

Jus playin, im sure it'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

You're not in as far as we were, we were a bit up the hill so I'd say you'll be grand!

Cheers, I feel a bit better now :D also just realised it's closer to
    the pub than I thought, jus looked it up on google maps :) now to find some drinking buddies :D

cheers for the replies!

• Advertisement

IPAM wrote: »
    Cheers, I feel a bit better now :D also just realised it's closer to
    the pub than I thought, jus looked it up on google maps :) now to find some drinking buddies :D

cheers for the replies!

Boards Beers?!

Yeah definitely, when is it?

IPAM wrote: »
    Yeah definitely, when is it?

Dunno the last one was 3 or 4 months ago....

Time for a new one me thinks

Sounds good, I'm always up for a few pints and a laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

The houses are very nice but the area has a very bad reputation.

I'm guessing an investment in a steering wheel lock would be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I have fitted about 8 satellite dishes in Ballymacool Woods, all of them have been pointed to Hotbird for Moroccan or Polish Channels, never had to do one for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I have fitted about 8 satellite dishes in Ballymacool Woods, all of them have been pointed to Hotbird for Moroccan or Polish Channels, never had to do one for Sky.

8 houses out of about 250, what's your point exactly?

Pique wrote: »

That's what I'm wondering, I don't care what they watch or where they're from as long as I get along with them or at the very least we leave each other alone, hopefully get along :D Anyway... Moved in today, wish me luck :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Pique wrote: »

My point is that its mostly foreign nationals that live in the estate.

I am not the only sat fitter that covers Letterkenny I would say that there are at least 5-6 more so your point about 8 out of 20 is irrelevant.
    I would guess that of the 250 houses in Ballymacool Woods it would be closer to 50% of foreign nationals.

• Advertisement

Lahm wrote: »
    Lads carry knives around. Them Polish and Slovakians.

A lad was lifted in the park a few weeks ago. He took a knife from the kitchen and took it out and about with him. He was up in court afterwards.

Meh, I don't plan on being out and about in the estate, in a cul de sac, both have cars so no need to

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't know why neighbours being foreign nationals is even relevant?

If anything, if somebody was trying to break in, I'd expect it to be somebody not nearby and an easy suspect.

"you don't sh1t on your own doorstep" etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

I don't think the foreign nationals are the problem there. When the houses were first built about ten years ago, people bought them and lived quite happily. It was a really nice area. Some were privately rented to people (some foreign nationals) who worked and all was fine. Then, horror of horrors, the builders sold the next lot of houses to the council. The council house residents walked through the quiet part on their way to and from their houses. Within three months, there was a burned out car on the approach road into the estate. It soon became unbearable. As the houses are really close together, there was no privacy and people screaming obscenities at one another is not acceptable. Those who could move, sold their houses at a loss and got out. Those who could not, stayed and suffered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Enough already! No more Its the Polish / council residents / Russian / Eskimo / Swahili's fault any more references to any type of or nationality of people and saying they are to blame for X will result in a ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Nice to see that closet racism is alive and well in Ireland...sheesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Well done IPAM,all the best.

Mods can close this, I got all the info I needed. Thanks for all the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Closed at the OP's Request.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

See a lot of houses for sale in Ballymacool, but also hear anecdotally that 'its not a great spot' - what's the story with it, is this reputation deserved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is another thread on this exact subject, have a look at it and decide for yourself.

Advertisement