Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I tell my teenage son about his diagnosis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I think you should definitely tell him. My nephew has Aspergers & OCD and is the same age & is also going into 2nd year in September. He got diagnosed about 5 years ago, after his parents pushing for answers for years & has known he has it pretty much from the beginning.

To look at him or speak to him, you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him at all, but he sometimes gets fixated on things or doesn't process information in the same way as others - jokes etc. He's been attending the Lucina Clinic for the past few years & I think it's done him the world of good. He's great academically & I hope nobody suggests he drops subjects, or leaves behind his mainstream classmates.

A lot of kids with only mild symptoms will grow up to be perfectly normal (if quirky) adults & so the junior & leaving cert will be required, the same as it is for anyone else in order to get a decent job. So unless they are really struggling with a subject, I'd be reluctant for them to drop classes.

Advertisement