Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights in Drogheda are a joke!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Drogheda traffic lights in sync... HAHAHAHAHAHA *Maniacal laugh*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

positron wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea. They could have done it better in many ways - I think slowing down everyone with that double roundabout and then lights are all for the benefit of the shopping center imho - capitalism over common sense etc.

The double roundabout has been a fantastic traffic calming measure at that junction whether it was for the benefit of the shopping centre or not. You used to take your life into your hands trying to pull out from my road (the road to platin/duleek) or if you were coming from the Colpe road/Grange Rath. While it was always a 60kph zone it was frequently ignored and practically impossible to pull out of those side roads.

Why they haven't used roundabouts for some of the other junctions that now have traffic lights is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

As long as the lights are sensor based and only operate when there is actual traffic exiting the Boyne Valley it shouldn't be too bad.
    If they're like the joke lights at Scotch Hall (which go red "for the craic" at 3.00 in the morning) it will be a nightmare.....again.
    One thing I noticed this morning when leaving town, the traffic was stacked up heading into town and the traffic exiting the Boyne Valley and turning right had nowhere to go.
    Cue more delays while they paint the yellow box they forgot to do in the first place.
    Way to go Drogheda Council!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

The double roundabout has been a fantastic traffic calming measure at that junction whether it was for the benefit of the shopping centre or not. You used to take your life into your hands trying to pull out from my road (the road to platin/duleek) or if you were coming from the Colpe road/Grange Rath. While it was always a 60kph zone it was frequently ignored and practically impossible to pull out of those side roads.

Why they haven't used roundabouts for some of the other junctions that now have traffic lights is beyond me.

Hmm, I see what you are saying, but could they not have achieved that with a one large roundabout? I just don't like how they have messed up with the width of the road there, and lanes appearing and disappearing, especially for cyclists.

positron wrote: »
    Hmm, I see what you are saying, but could they not have achieved that with a one large roundabout? I just don't like how they have messed up with the width of the road there, and lanes appearing and disappearing, especially for cyclists.

If you look back at the planning of Southgate, there was a new road due to be built from the Southgate roundabout directly to the M1 junction at the Duleek Road/Platin Rd roundabout. Never went ahead but if you look there is a gate into the field there where it was meant to be. I'll have a root around and see can I find the link to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Shano81

kormak wrote: »
    Not in any way condoning breaking red lights but people (drivers) are getting royally pissed off with more and more traffic lights in Drogheda. People are getting inpatient and rightly so...

Tough, they still shouldn’t be breaking pedestrian lights. It is very dangerous with pleanty of young kids,buggies,etc crossing at those lights. I can see an accident happening there very soon if it keeps up.

But you are right, it’s a joke having those 2 sets of lights so close together and very frustrating when driving

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Quote for ****ing truth.

Living in Grange Rath, I can't stress how great those roundabouts are. Used to take ages getting out onto the main road without them. I actually was involved in an accident there pre-roundabout that still causes me back problems to this day. Whatever the reason for their introduction, they are a godsend to everyone wanting to use those roads...

Quote for ****ing truth.

Living in Grange Rath, I can't stress how great those roundabouts are. Used to take ages getting out onto the main road without them. I actually was involved in an accident there pre-roundabout that still causes me back problems to this day. Whatever the reason for their introduction, they are a godsend to everyone wanting to use those roads...

I commuted to Dublin for a few years and routinely had to pull out of my road turning left (rather than directly towards Dublin) and do a U-turn at the Grange Rath/Colpe Rd. The other option was sit there for 10 mins waiting for a gap in the traffic or even drivers observing the speed limit. It just wasn't safe most of the time.

If you look back at the planning of Southgate, there was a new road due to be built from the Southgate roundabout directly to the M1 junction at the Duleek Road/Platin Rd roundabout. Never went ahead but if you look there is a gate into the field there where it was meant to be. I'll have a root around and see can I find the link to it.

Never knew that... it would save a lotta hassle going near Julianstown at snails speed! They probably stick a toll on that road too mind you! :rolleyes:

Scotch Hall traffic lights back acting up again... red @ 06:45 this morning with the roller door shut?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Noticed that on Sunday evening as I passed by Scotch hall - way past the shopping centre closing time, but the lights were red - grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I go through these lights if the centre is closed. Happy enough to state my case if I ever get pulled up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Dingatron wrote: »
    I go through these lights if the centre is closed. Happy enough to state my case if I ever get pulled up on it.

Same here for me, i refuse to sit at them if its late at night/early morning and the centre is shut.
    Quick check in rear view mirror for Garda and and i am gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

There is going to be a big accident at those new lights at the Boyne Valley. I have been travelling that road regularly lately and I have seen plenty of cars going straight through them on red. Whether that being them thinking they can make it or just an ignorance of the new setup, but its only going to end badly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know two people in my family seem to completly forget they are there now when they go past them, and I've found them sneak up on myself a few times as well. :confused:

I was myself at first and having the FloGas lights on green doesn't help with them being so close together.

Definitely because people aren't expecting them. Was coming home the other night and himself was driving and he braked fairly sharpish and asked me when did they put the new lights up. Usually we head in and out of Drogheda by Beamore Cross and down Mary St but take the Dublin Rd occasionally if it's off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

They have the sign warning of the new lights, roughly 50 feet before the new lights!

I was expecting the new lights to make a total mess of everything, but so far they seem to be working fairly well. As a resident of Roschoill I think they are brilliant. There is a sensor way before the lights on the way out of the estate and most of the time, the lights will be changing as you are approaching the stop light on the way out.

Time will tell though, as traffic hasn't been heavy since they've gone up, with it being the Christmas period.

Personally, I'm not really sure they were required. Sure, it can be a bit of a pain turning right if you head out on Saturday lunchtime, and you did need to put the boot down turning left becuase most of the traffic heading out of Drogheda is going more than 50kmph, but it's not really been that bad for the past 5 years.

GRRRR... Not to do with traffic lights but traffic and parkers.....

Had to go to the post office in Bryanstown today, I'd pop into Staffords every so often but would usually head in around 6pm rather than the 2.30/3pm time I was there today.

Pulled in and turned left to go down towards Staffords. Car park was full, very full. People carriers everywhere, parked, double parked, crawling up and down. I couldn't get a parking space so I had to double back (with difficulty) and park down by Eastern Seaboard. The reason I couldn't get parked was that it was school child collection time at the new St Marys Parish School so Bryanstown shops car park is now being used as a pick up point:mad:. I observed lots of people sitting in their cars waiting rather than actually going into the shop. There was barely a customer in Staffords and usually that place is busy.

I headed back out via the Dublin Rd but I'm sure from passing the school before that there was a very big car park at the school, surely that's not all for staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 xoxoxox

R.O.R wrote: »

Personally, I'm not really sure they were required. Sure, it can be a bit of a pain turning right if you head out on Saturday lunchtime, and you did need to put the boot down turning left becuase most of the traffic heading out of Drogheda is going more than 50kmph, but it's not really been that bad for the past 5 years.

yes they were required, there was someone killed there a couple of years ago
    the problem is cars coming into and out of drogheda, dont stick to the speed limit, and it was normally dangerous enough getting in and out with heavy traffic.

those lights were a great investment.

• Advertisement

xoxoxox wrote: »
    yes they were required, there was someone killed there a couple of years ago
    the problem is cars coming into and out of drogheda, dont stick to the speed limit, and it was normally dangerous enough getting in and out with heavy traffic.

those lights were a great investment.

There's been people killed in random spots on our roads throughout the country... that doesn't warrant a traffic light at junctions every 50 yards?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

+1. I would love to see a set of lights in front of Wheaton Hall. I don't see why the council shouldn't do it.. Or a double-roundabout providing for Wheaton Hall, Bryanstown Village, Glanbia and other local businesses :D I am only joking of course..!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brian 0f 1reland

I don't get why the timing on filter light on James St that allows traffic to cross St.Mary's Bridge changes on a sat & sun. 3 fecking cars it lets through at the weekends. Also cars always block the yellow box a the end of the Marsh rd/St.Mary's bridge.

The lights at Scotch Hall & South Gate should be turned off after trading hours, but then again that would make too much sense, we live in Ireland after all.

Is it true that the town planner doesn't drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brian 0f 1reland

GRRRR... Not to do with traffic lights but traffic and parkers.....

Had to go to the post office in Bryanstown today, I'd pop into Staffords every so often but would usually head in around 6pm rather than the 2.30/3pm time I was there today.

Pulled in and turned left to go down towards Staffords. Car park was full, very full. People carriers everywhere, parked, double parked, crawling up and down. I couldn't get a parking space so I had to double back (with difficulty) and park down by Eastern Seaboard. The reason I couldn't get parked was that it was school child collection time at the new St Marys Parish School so Bryanstown shops car park is now being used as a pick up point:mad:. I observed lots of people sitting in their cars waiting rather than actually going into the shop. There was barely a customer in Staffords and usually that place is busy.

I headed back out via the Dublin Rd but I'm sure from passing the school before that there was a very big car park at the school, surely that's not all for staff?

That really pisses me off, WHY IS THERE NOT SUFFICIENT SPACE for people to pick up their kids or enough space for buses to pull in at schools. This creates more problems people going about their daily business. Surely the council should take action on this, Oh wait this is Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

That really pisses me off, WHY IS THERE NOT SUFFICIENT SPACE for people to pick up their kids or enough space for buses to pull in at schools. This creates more problems people going about their daily business. Surely the council should take action on this, Oh wait this is Ireland

At the school that borderlinemeath was talking about, there is a large lay-by for buses, as well as a large car-park which can be used by the public (there's a staff car park towards the back of the school). The fact that the public choose not to use the school parking and clog up nearby shopping area parking is hardly the fault of the council.

Something I've rarely seen, a red light on the Rathmullan road at the park. No pedestrians around because it was almost 2am and I'd have seen them as I drove towards the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭furiousox

Reigniting this thread because the lights at Scotch Hall are STILL on a frequent red sequence (5 years on from the op!) even though the shutters are down and the place has been closed for hours! :mad:
    I drove through them this evening heading out of Drogheda (I checked for pedestrians first)
    I swear I would go to court over this on principle if I was pulled over, f'king JOKE!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I don't think its been the same for 5 years. I think they must have changed the sequencing of the lights at Scotch Hall at Christmas when shops were opening for longer hours (for people who NEED to go shopping at 6.00 a.m. on St. Stephen's morning). I drive up that road every morning and the lights have gone mad since I've been back on the road this week. Normally, they only go red if there is a pedestrian when its 7am and I'm trying to get to the station for a train. Earlier this week it was "red light", "green" for 3 cars to go through, "red light", etc etc. (and no pedestrians either). And everyone complied and just sat there until they changed.

I think it may be back to normal now because it didn't seem to be a problem today - time will tell if I was just lucky today

Noticed that Scotch Hall's lights changed, too.

I usually keep an eye out for pedestrians and just coast through the red light. If I'm not front of the queue and there's a car in front, I sit and wait, but the temptation to wander around them is growing. Hopefully they put it back to normal soon.

Speaking of lights, though, has anyone noticed that on, George's street, in the quiet hours, the green light is by default, facing Patrick St, rather than down George's street? So if you're travelling north up George's street (past The Cross) or into the town via the North Road, you'll always hit a red light, as you sit like a spare prick for the light to change for you (meanwhile the green light is giving priority to arguably the quietest road in the town at night time).

I've no idea why the minor road is given priority here, but I presume an oversight.

I like the way, over at Lidl/Furniture Options, as you drive towards the Donore road (coming down Matthews Lane), at non-peak times, the sensor is placed back far enough that the light will change from red to green without you having to stop (you will have to slow, of course). Small thing, but it makes everything so much better in the world as a whole.

If ever I win the Euromillions, and I'm cruising around Hawaii and touring the US; I'd always be sure to tell the locals the tale of the Donore Road traffic lights. 'The one that they got right', I'd tell them. 'Coast through', they'd hear, with glee in their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Noticed that Scotch Hall's lights changed, too.

I usually keep an eye out for pedestrians and just coast through the red light. If I'm not front of the queue and there's a car in front, I sit and wait, but the temptation to wander around them is growing...

You're joking right? I hope I never meet you on the road. That's deplorable behaviour.

Advertisement