Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here we go again - Leinster OSC 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

You never think something like that is going to happen. Terrible news.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

kris71 wrote: »
    RIP

Windsurfers pier is a bit to far for me anyway
    btw it would be nice to see a few more races on north side next year

Thanks

Well why not suggest it to your club to organise a race or if you already organise a race look around for another venue on the North side. Remember the back beach at donabate to the main beach? Sutton dingy club was another old venue although the parking was shocking. The roads are a lot better now so why not Skerries or Rush. I had a look at organising one from Lambay into Rush. Great venue but a lot of cash needed to organise boats etc.

Liffey Swim next on Saturday! Entries closed today means Martin will be working hard all week to give me a nice low handicap:)

Longer race this year, stretches down to the Docklands area, 200m extra + supposedly the Men's race will be against the flow with the Women starting about flat and the flow catching them during the swim.

Depending on the H/caps looks set for a backmarker in the men's with maybe one of the middle grounds for the women's race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

To be honest I reckon he has the handicaps done already with the help of Joe Browne (Which was nice to see today, giving people their handicaps on bullhorn)...

Nice race today....Water was so clear and no jellyers to be seen anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

http://www.swimleinster.com/OpenSea/opensea.htm#Results

It says "Fixed" beside the results of the Galway Prom - 13 Aug 11

I wonder how many other races were "fixed" this year?!?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Well why not suggest it to your club to organise a race or if you already organise a race look around for another venue on the North side. Remember the back beach at donabate to the main beach? Sutton dingy club was another old venue although the parking was shocking. The roads are a lot better now so why not Skerries or Rush. I had a look at organising one from Lambay into Rush. Great venue but a lot of cash needed to organise boats etc.

will do, next year ;)

what boats ;) swim down to lambay and then back to rush ;) nothing like a nice 10k sea swim on the morning ;)

Loughshinny harbor is real nice as well, there is a few nice spots on the north side so i will look into that next year, thx Rokossovsky

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Everyone ready for the Liffey?

The race has been extended this year - anyone know exactly where the finish is?

Is it at the jetty where the Dockalnds race starts I wonder?

Thanks

opzssp.png

Your hat number will be taken as you swim past the pontoon just before the Seán Ó'Casey Bridge.

Then we will be drifting/swimming beside the wall inside the Jeanie Johnston pontoon.

This is what was said yesterday at the Photocall.

I really can't see why they are not doing the electronic tagging system. If we are corralled between that pontoon and wall (guessing they might do this) it could be dangerous and messy with hat numbers....

As far as being ready, well I always think I am until I dive in and hit that bloody cold water, hate cold starts. Roll on thursday for handicaps...

• Advertisement

It's funny that it's not that long ago we were talking about that there was no difference between when it wasn't tagged & with the tags & we're back with no tags for both majors this year. It doesn't bother me I like the tags because they are accurate & fast but I really am not convinced it's cost effective at all.

As for danger? Nah! Sure it's the exact same way that the NAC Masters' Docklands swim finishes and that's always fine with pleny of room.

It's been said before, I know, but it would be great to find out how much a timing chip system would be to buy for use in ALL races.

The triathlon clubs seem to be able to do it with a much lower volume of races(Howth Aquathon series for example) - surely the per race price would be less for the 30 odd swims run by the OSC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    It's been said before, I know, but it would be great to find out how much a timing chip system would be to buy for use in ALL races.

The triathlon clubs seem to be able to do it with a much lower volume of races(Howth Aquathon series for example) - surely the per race price would be less for the 30 odd swims run by the OSC?

I think the problem would be that open water races all have a variety of finishes. some in the water and some on beach, pier slip ect.. The triathlons are usually set up so that you run across a mat before going on the bike and it is not that important if you are overtaken on the way from the water to the mat as you still have to do a run/cycle. For swimming races you would really need some way of registering while still in the water similiar to the liffey/harbour last year. this would involve a lot of effort in getting the timing pontoon into and out of the water

I was at the race in Limerick saturday gone (Thomond Cup) and it was chip timing, the matt was held at side of wall and you either had to go near it(really close) or tip off it. The entry for swim was €20.. Very well organised but there was only 44 swimmers...

Back to Saturday - looking at the tides, there should be a fair flow against the swimmers - backmarkers race I'd say

In theory yes but it all depends on the handicaps. We'll know later but I would be very surprised if it ended up being one of the last 6/10 for the Men's race anyway.

However if the handicaps stay at similar to normal levels we should have a chance.

Liffey was nice & warm at the Docklands on Monday, more of the same please for Saturday.

Depending on handicap,I'll put my money on Gabriel Byrne this year.

anyone else any idea's who might win it...?

+1
    It depaneds on things:

Handicaps,
    Conditions - it'a meant to be very wet on Saturday
    Flow - if it's like last year, with the longer distance, it could be a "midmarker"

We all live in hope :D

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    Everyone ready for the Liffey?

The race has been extended this year - anyone know exactly where the finish is?

Is it at the jetty where the Dockalnds race starts I wonder?

Thanks

I understand that the finish will be at the boat pontoon used by the Liffey tourist boat. This is the pontoon up stream of the Sean O Casey bridge if you can recall from NAC swim it is just at the first buoy of that race. The arrangements are that you finish at this pontoon but DONT stop there as the finish will be filmed. Swimmers will then float down to the Docklands pontoon under Sean O Casey footbridge and get out at the same steps used in the NAC swim.? Clear as mud eh? It might be worth a good rekky beforehand.

Any early predictions for a winner. I had picked Paddy Corkery or Mattie Wayne to win the Harbour but didnt front up on Boards. So I got 1st and 3rd. Now Im nailing my colours to the post.
    Winner - Ger Philpott Aer Lingus

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I think the problem would be that open water races all have a variety of finishes. some in the water and some on beach, pier slip ect.. The triathlons are usually set up so that you run across a mat before going on the bike and it is not that important if you are overtaken on the way from the water to the mat as you still have to do a run/cycle. For swimming races you would really need some way of registering while still in the water similiar to the liffey/harbour last year. this would involve a lot of effort in getting the timing pontoon into and out of the water

Check out youtube open water events in US. The river swims have two guys on the bank with finish pads at the end of microphone booms. As the swimmers come in he just moves the boom from one swimmer to the next like he is giving out communion. Beach swims could finish on the beach. Just continue the run in (Llike Portmarknock) into the pad. Windsurfers could have the finish we had in Liffey and Dun laoghaire before but set up on the wharf that we walk in on. All it takes is a bit of thought and have the company contracted for the electric timing to tell us what they can do in terms of finishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Agua

Got my handicap last night normally off 2:30 now off 3:15 for tomorrow.... I hope there is a good flow and I can catch up with the "roundy" lads at the front :):) . There dosent seem to be any venue lined up for the afters like the Shelbourne last year, at least there was no mention of it in the info last night, it only says the presentation will be at the Jenny Johnson at 17:00. Anyone know if there will be an official doo on?

It seems they're expecting us to be swimming against the flow of the river seen as my handicap went out by 3mins from usual and is even 15s slower then my harbour handicap so a big pull against us would be most welcome for me.

Putting my neck out on the line, I thinkl Rene Kral and Dave Farrell will be there or thereabouts in the prizes.

P.S. The handicaps for the women are up online @ www.swimlenster.com/opensea/opensea.htm

Are they goping to put up the mens handicaps?

Bee good to see who got what..... hard to predict a winner otherwise

Finelli wrote: »
    Are they goping to put up the mens handicaps?

Bee good to see who got what..... hard to predict a winner otherwise

i'll go first..

Shay dillon...........got a good handicap although if there is little or no current then it will go to someone further back in the handicaps..

Maybe the bold Frank C himself??

Goodluck to all tomorrow,have a safe swim. Hope to catch up with a few who are going off before me....

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    i'll go first..

Shay dillon...........got a good handicap although if there is little or no current then it will go to someone further back in the handicaps..

Maybe the bold Frank C himself??

Ahem, I got in before you with Gabriel Byrne:D, but with his handicap he would want to have webbed feet...

Shay Dillion did indeed get a good handicap...

Men's h/caps up now for those who want another sneaky look at the list before thy head into town.

Well done to Declan Proctor.......

Swine!!!:D

Todays race is called off due to light craft warning, plus it seems weather is to get worse.....

Hate Irish weather.....:rolleyes:

Absolutely well done to both winners, actually all winners.

It's been a strange season with the amount of cancellations and postponements

• Advertisement

The weather seems to be getting the better of us as we approach the last few swims of the season. I dunno how many times you can cancel and hope to re schedule a race but tides and weather will have their say. I know Im already run out of excuses to get away for a weekend swim but I can just about get away with the 2 that are left. I would be a good idea to pack a thermal relflective blanket in your swim bag for the weekend. I was out in Low rock last night and the water was COLD:eek: so a 1.8k swim in Bray should get the teeth chattering alright.

^^ How long did you stay in for last night? How was it out there in regards if a race was to go ahead...Were they right to cancel it?

I think they will have to go ahead with those races because the swimmer of the year there is at least 5/6 swimmers in with a shout...The weather looks to be ok for Saturday anyway. But your right a blanket and a flash of coffee wont go a miss after the last few races.

mad m wrote: »
    ^^ How long did you stay in for last night? How was it out there in regards if a race was to go ahead...Were they right to cancel it?

I think they will have to go ahead with those races because the swimmer of the year there is at least 5/6 swimmers in with a shout...The weather looks to be ok for Saturday anyway. But your right a blanket and a flash of coffee wont go a miss after the last few races.

I stayed in till I got nearly sea sick but I stayed in the vicinity of the cove at the beach. The wind was whipping the tops of the waves and visibility at water level wasnt good. It was like a roller coaster. Good fun but a race would have been crazy. Waves breaking over the rocks on the right hand side and huge waves out where the buoys would be. They wouldnt have got the boats out of Malahide.
    Dunno about them having to run the cancelled races tho...I mean if they dont have the tide during the day then the light levels at evening time would be a concern after 7pm. That means that races would have to be run on Saturdays or Sundays and you mightnt have a suitable tide till the end of the month. If they held them mid week during the day time nobody with a job will turn up. The people at the top of the leader tables can only swim in events that can be held within reason. I mean your not looking for races to be re run in October or November surely? They just might call it a day after Eddie Heron (if we get the weather that is, that day). Forecast for next week looks good - light winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

A winter swimming league would be great :)

A winter swimming league would be great :)

Are you just trying to bring in the wet suits by the back door!:D

No one said anything about wetsuits... it will be all sprints max 400m ;) but I bet you there would be plenty of pbs broken ;)

Since I'd managed to screw myself over burning my feet a week before I had to stay on the bank ;( altough I did get a t-shirt and I was quite happy with my handicap ;( anyway below you will find some photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/108246670996703146898/LiffeySwim2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

And a short video, mainly from ladies race as I didn't managed to catch up with you guys limping ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Agua

Kriss71 nice one for the vid but the pic link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could re-post the link.

Well done to Declan P ... a great achievement, everyone seemed to have a really enjoyable swill on Saturday, I liked the extra distance although the results are a little out of sequence!! Bring beck the tags.

Agua wrote: »
    Kriss71 nice one for the vid but the pic link doesn't seem to work, any chance you could re-post the link.

Well done to Declan P ... a great achievement, everyone seemed to have a really enjoyable swill on Saturday, I liked the extra distance although the results are a little out of sequence!! Bring beck the tags.

I hope the "swill" was a typo. Congrats to Declan and yeah electronic timing is the way to go

2 nice swims coming up this weekend however weather forecast is for fresh and gusty south to southwest winds. I know Bray is reasonably sheltered from those directions but boats may have problems launching and getting there. I wouldnt be surprised to see Sundays race cancelled and tomorrows to go ahead. I think there will be small craft warning on both days so fingers crossed..

^^ Yeah hopefully it will be ok at least for one race. Can't believe its near the end of the season....

• Advertisement

Well feck it anyway, race cancelled due to winds.......aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

we gotta call a day to this. One last chance next week. Cant see Wicklow going ahead either that is even more exposed.:mad:

@rokossovsky

Just back from Seapoint and it was lovely, nearly flat as a pancake, sun shining etc. Swam out and around and followed four of those yellow bouys then headed back in....Great swim....

If anyone is itching for a swim then head out there now....

I believe it should work now

https://picasaweb.google.com/108246670996703146898/LiffeySwim2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

If it doesn't I will look for a different place to upload them

Looks like just one race will decide it this year - it's very close at the top of the table - predictions?

Finelli wrote: »
    Looks like just one race will decide it this year - it's very close at the top of the table - predictions?

Well its a long enough race so the back markers will get up......So its either going to be...

Aidan Robertson
    Stevie Doyle
    Gabriel Byrne (Hope he wins it)

That is if its not cancelled.....

Well thats it ladies and gentlemen, the Leinster open sea swim season is over, race cancelled today due to light craft warning.

Well done to Club of the Year "NAC" and by looks of it "John McCarty" also NAC swimmer of the year"

mad m wrote: »
    Well thats it ladies and gentlemen, the Leinster open sea swim season is over, race cancelled today due to light craft warning.

Well done to Club of the Year "NAC" and by looks of it "John McCarty" also NAC swimmer of the year"

Thanks for the good wishes Mad M, it was an amazing season. Leanne Masters also got Ladies Swimmer of the Year. Looking forward to next season

First in for the new season 2012? Talking points to look at. Are we going to have a Liffey swim this year? New swims in lough lene and Wexford. More scrutiny on event management? Who has been in so far this year. Wet suits neednt bother replying to that -insufficient data! :D

• Advertisement

First in for the new season 2012? Talking points to look at. Are we going to have a Liffey swim this year? New swims in lough lene and Wexford. More scrutiny on event management? Who has been in so far this year. Wet suits neednt bother replying to that -insufficient data! :D

Of course there is a Liffey swim but hear the start will be moved down further, maybe something to do with new bridge being built (could be totally wrong).
    More scrutiny on event management:
    Don't get me started on this.....

been in a good few times, first time was pure hell.

Advertisement