Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing a 2nd router

• 02-06-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

This may be a basic question but here goes. I have a Zyxel router with '8MB' Eircom and want to increase my wireless range. Eircoms help page shows how to set up a third party router.

Will installing an additional wireless router work?

thanks. - I dont want to change ISP - I measured my neighbours '20 MB' wireless signal from UPC and the signal strenght is exactly the same as mine in respective rooms around our houses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

You need to set up a repeater - usually this is connected to the router via Cat 5

some routers can double as repeaters - I'm not sure about the Zyxel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

homer911 wrote: »
    You need to set up a repeater - usually this is connected to the router via Cat 5

some routers can double as repeaters - I'm not sure about the Zyxel

No, thats an access point, a repeater receives a signal wirelessly and re-broadcasts it, an access point connects by ethernet. I don't recommend repeaters, as they connect wirelessly they can cause lots of latency. Its best to run a cable and add an access point on a different channel to the existing wireless device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ibood doing a netgear repeater for €30 today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Ibood doing a netgear repeater for €30 today....
    lol, beat me to it. :)

read this thread yesterday and then just noticed the ibood this morning and thought i'd post a link, but as usual, i'm too slow. :)

here it is anyway to save you typing 'ibood' into google. :D

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/5871/Netgear_Universal_WiFi_Range_Etender_-_Etends_range_of_any_wireless_router_or_gateway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

get a "n" spec router and get rid of your "g" spec one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kaahooters wrote: »
    get a "n" spec router and get rid of your "g" spec one.

That doesn't increase the range only the capacity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭granturismo

thanks all, missed the ibood offer but that model got some mixed reviews on amazon. At least I know how to solve the problem and will buy a repeater next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a pack of these might be another option.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1409-dLAN-Wireless-N-Starter/dp/B00472MMC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307274587&sr=8-1

personally i haven't had great experiences with homeplugs, but they do definitely fill a gap in certain situations.

Advertisement