Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Valu look to build Discount Foodstore in Tramore

Options
  • 02-06-2011 10:37am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may already be aware, but Super Valu are looking to build a discount food store down at the very back of the car park (there is an empty green site there). There were/have been a few objections submitted including one from Aldi!

Can someone explain how Aldi who are only operating in Waterford can object to a planning application in Tramore when it doesn't concern them directly? I know they got objected to building in Tramore a few times alright, but objecting to this would be more from an environmental or residential point of view surely? Strange planning laws in Ireland!

Also, surely building a discount store would impact on their business/trade in Super Valu? Don't fully understand it myself.

The new store would help the local economy and provide jobs during construction and then after when its open, which is to be welcomed. :)

You can take a look at their application here: http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=1117&LASiteID=0

(Submissions can only be viewed in IE with a special plugin installed)

On a side note, you have to hand it to Super Valu when it comes to local projects. Always sponsoring and helping out community projects. Other chain food stores don't do it as much, if ever, in Tramore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Maybe Aldi own land in Tramore and so can object on that basis. If they don't then they shouldn't be allowed to make a submission.

As for the discount food store, I don't understand why they are building it but if it can create and sustain jobs, without having a negative impact on other businesses, then fair play to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe Aldi own land in Tramore and so can object on that basis. If they don't then they shouldn't be allowed to make a submission.

As for the discount food store, I don't understand why they are building it but if it can create and sustain jobs, without having a negative impact on other businesses, then fair play to them.

Do they own the land where they tried to build but kept getting refusals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I don't know. I'd say they might own that land though - I'd assume they would have to own the land if they wanted to get planning permission to build on it, wouldn't know though with our planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I don't know. I'd say they might own that land though - I'd assume they would have to own the land if they wanted to get planning permission to build on it, wouldn't know though with our planning laws.

You can buy land subject to the grant of planning permission, although I'd say that's more common with sites for houses.

I think you are free to make a submission (not an objection) to any planning application.

Presumably Aldi's beef would be the potential competition although my personal opinion is that Supervalu's proposed store is in a much better location than their proposal.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

weren't Supervalu behind a number of objections to Aldi/Tesco/lidl, so may be just revenge but Aldi still seem to want an outlet in Tramore so possibly keeping the competition out.
    Any ideas on who it is, BuyLo springs to mind or is it a SV operation, hope it goes ahead though, it'd be good for the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement