Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honors Irish - Narrowing down

• 02-06-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm just wondering, because I'm a little confused at the Irish paper 2 layout, how many poems can you safely leave out and still be guaranteed a question? I know there's a different format for each section.. that's whats confusing me!

Not much time left and trying to learn the minimum required at this stage! thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Junai_Dahma

the least you could get away with is:

all ordinary level poems
    7 out of 8 higher level poems
    and all but one of the pros (can't remember how many there are altogether!)
    an triail? (characters and themes)
    not sure about stair....

and this is not paying heed to the predictions... I'm sure if you wanted to depend on them too, you could cut down further.
    I hope i was of help..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

thanks very much :) clears it up bigtime :)
    I think I'll follow what you said with the poems and prós anyway, but i think I'll chance not studying both an chéad dráma and uircheall ni chreagain, seeing as chéad dráma came up last year I'm hoping they won't pull a fast one and put it up again!
    My teacher gave me a good list of what to learn for history, around 7 headings, hopefully he's right anyway! :)

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ladybike

biggaman wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm just wondering, because I'm a little confused at the Irish paper 2 layout, how many poems can you safely leave out and still be guaranteed a question? I know there's a different format for each section.. that's whats confusing me!

Not much time left and trying to learn the minimum required at this stage! thanks :)

4 Honours Poems
    (Oiche Nollaig, Maigdileana, An t-Oilean agus Dan do Mhelissa)
    4 Pass Poems
    (Any 4 really :confused:)
    4 Pros
    (All except Fiche Bliain)
    6 Stairs
    (Athbheochan, Gaeilge mar Teanga Ceilteach, Gaeilge sa Meain, Fiannaiocht, Ogham agus Aisling P)

I'm repeating the Leaving and got an A2 in this last year, the predictions were spot on.

HOWEVER!!! Depending at what level you are at, you could do more/less than this. If you are an A student, the chances are you will have the 'liofeacht' to be able to write something on poems or Pros that you havn't studied very well, while a C student may need to cover 6 to 7 Honours poems, and all the Pros and Pass..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Am I missing something here whilst looking at this poor advice? Can't leave out any Filiocht Ainmnithe,one will come up as compulsory. Can't leave out any pros,one of those is compulsory to answer on too.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Am I missing something here whilst looking at this poor advice? Can't leave out any Filiocht Ainmnithe,one will come up as compulsory. Can't leave out any pros,one of those is compulsory to answer on too.

Well obviously anything on the course can come up, but with this theory, you would then need to cover everything.. and that would be slightly foolish..

• Advertisement

cheers for the input guys
    4 Honours Poems
    (Oiche Nollaig, Maigdileana, An t-Oilean agus Dan do Mhelissa)
    4 Pass Poems
    (Any 4 really confused.gif)
    4 Pros
    (All except Fiche Bliain)
    6 Stairs
    (Athbheochan, Gaeilge mar Teanga Ceilteach, Gaeilge sa Meain, Fiannaiocht, Ogham agus Aisling P)

I'm repeating the Leaving and got an A2 in this last year, the predictions were spot on.

HOWEVER!!! Depending at what level you are at, you could do more/less than this. If you are an A student, the chances are you will have the 'liofeacht' to be able to write something on poems or Pros that you havn't studied very well, while a C student may need to cover 6 to 7 Honours poems, and all the Pros and Pass..smile.gif

Could you elaborate a small bit on your selections?
    Like the honors poems, why those selections? :D
    I'd consider my self fairly well able to bull****e my way through most of those pass poems and just bull**** for the majority of the other stuff, but at the same time having key words key themes etc etc would be a good help for them all i guess :)

I can see where your coming from but at the same time there is a small option there, where there is a choice between two of the honours poems for example.. so basically means I won't have to touch off uircheall (wrong spelling) and chead drama is a pain in the **** and came up last year, so surely they won't put it on again?

biggaman wrote: »
    Could you elaborate a small bit on your selections?
    Like the honors poems, why those selections? :D

Sure, its simply that the 2 from last year can be excluded, and that the 4 i have listed there are the longest since coming up..and to be fair, the poetry has been following a pattern, like in '09 they expected 2 to come up and they did.. this is the last year of the course (i think) so they will probably ask Oiche Nollaig and an t-Oilean, the 2 poems with a loaaaad methaphors and other techniques.. seeing that Nil Aon Ni came up last year, it shows they dont have a problem with Cathal O Searcaigh anymore so I think Maigdileana is a possiblilty..

cheers man :) an chead drama and uircheall defo out anyway, and possibly dá mb'fhéidir as well, that would help alot.. maybe im just being lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

In Pass poems, there will a choice between two, then a compulsory, so you need to know all five Pass poems.
    In Honours poems, there are two poems, choose one, so you can leave out one.
    In Stories, there are two questions, choose one, then one compulsory so again, you should learn all of them.
    Obviously you can choose to leave out last years & stuff, but that could be a risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

ladybike wrote: »
    Well obviously anything on the course can come up, but with this theory, you would then need to cover everything.. and that would be slightly foolish..

Can't say I'd describe knowing all as being ''foolish'' when there's a chance they can all come up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement