Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace front door sensor

Options
  • 02-06-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi. The house alarm goes off now and again and when I go to switch it off it's the same problem - Front Door. This is completely erroneous - the bloody thing keeps going off in the middle of the night when the door is untouched :mad:

It's an Aritech alarm and there is a shock + contact sensor on the front door. So -
    1. Can I bypass this for now by removing the sensor and tying the cables together?
    2. Can I replace this with a contact only sensor?

Ta :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

OK KK - thanks for the info. I removed the sensor, tied the ends of the two cables together and set the alarm (after adding the magnet). It wouldn't set - just kept displaying 'Leave Now'. I tried again by connecting the 2nd wire to the screw at the end of the magnetic contact - same result as above.

I tried one more time by including the resistor in the circuit and it now seems to be working. The question now is, if I was to get a contact only sensor, does it come with this resistor built in? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just get a normal contact.
    The colour coded ones only have resistors built in but these seem to be only special order

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OK KK - thanks for the info. I removed the sensor, tied the ends of the two cables together and set the alarm (after adding the magnet). It wouldn't set - just kept displaying 'Leave Now'. I tried again by connecting the 2nd wire to the screw at the end of the magnetic contact - same result as above.

I tried one more time by including the resistor in the circuit and it now seems to be working. The question now is, if I was to get a contact only sensor, does it come with this resistor built in? :confused:
    Can you post a pic of the device showing the terminals & the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi. The house alarm goes off now and again and when I go to switch it off it's the same problem - Front Door. This is completely erroneous - the bloody thing keeps going off in the middle of the night when the door is untouched :mad:

It's an Aritech alarm and there is a shock + contact sensor on the front door. So -
    1. Can I bypass this for now by removing the sensor and tying the cables together?
    2. Can I replace this with a contact only sensor?

Ta :)

It is more than likely the shock part of the sensor that is causing the fault. You should not have a shock sensor on a front door, only a contact. If you post a picture of the sensor that you have installed there may be a way to connect just the contact part of the sensor rather than having the two connected. It might save you having to buy a contact if the fault is with the shock part of the sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Thanks again guys. Here's a pic of the sensor. It works ok if I include the resistor in the circuit so basically I'm looking to replace it with a contact-only sensor. So, will this include the required resistance or do I need a special type?

Any idea where to buy? I'm just looking for a small brown one!

To Wire your sensor as a contact only use as this :

161567.gif

To wire a regular contact
    161565.gif

The yellow is the resistor.
    You are aware these devices are not tampered?
    To purchase these or other contacts check out the suppliers skicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks again guys. Here's a pic of the sensor. It works ok if I include the resistor in the circuit so basically I'm looking to replace it with a contact-only sensor. So, will this include the required resistance or do I need a special type?

Any idea where to buy? I'm just looking for a small brown one!

That is because the zone is set up for single end of line. The panel thinks the zone is open without the resistor. I would try using the contact side of the sensor but if you want a brown one then you will have to buy one, just ask for a brown contact. Most sensors do not come with the resistor built in but you can use the one you have with the new sensor.

Advertisement