Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Still Care About Kerrang?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

I liked it when I was a kid, and it got me into most of the music I'm into now, but if you put it on these days, it's just crap poppy bands I haven't even heard of so no, it isn't for me anymore, same goes for the mag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Is the tv channel still going?

Yes, but it's no longer phone in requests, they just play a random playlist

They also do the odd interesting show (Green Day live was on the other night) but these are few and far between

In the UK there's a radio station for Kerrang (you can also find it on Sky TV) and, because of the fact they can't just keep playing Fall Out Boy again and again, they do actually play some good tunes - but probably one every four hours

I was looking at the line-up for Leeds this year, promised a friend I'd go with her, so she wasn't on her own. I like maybe a handful of the bands performing but it was funny that the day the Deftone's are performing, by Kerrang's standards, they would call that a Metal day. And this is from bands like Taking Back Sunday, Bring Me The Horizon and While She Sleeps

FFS:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is the tv channel still going?

Yes, and it's awful.

Good Charlotte, Fall out Boy and other pop punk bands all day long. No music I'd call metal anyway.

The magazine is basically Smash Hits with Guitars these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

But with a free CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I lost interest in Kerrang after it became the "Smash Hits" of the rock world. completely dumbed down crap..

Was it ever not like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leave this world behind

Talk about a waste of paper.I used to buy this when it was Metal in the 80's.I am still Metal and I'm in my 40's,I can't believe it's still going,Terrorizer,Zero Tolerance,and to an extent Metal Hammer are worthy of being called Metal Magazines,not this muck.Should have changed its name years ago.Pop ****e.

Zero Tolerance

Great that you mention this magazine. I actually used to present a radio show in Scotland, for a brief run, with Calum Harvie - the Editor of this publication - nice guy, he knew his stuff and his magazine always had some of the best written articles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I stopped caring about it when they started hopping on the Grunge trend and started slating proper metal bands and anything that was underground was relentlessly slagged off. The worst example being the sensationalist ****e spread they did on black metal around 93/94

They jumped on any new ****ty mainstream trends like nu-metal and emo while denigrating classic metal and power metal, I wouldn't give a flying f*** if the mag died a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I haven't bought it since 2000. It's awful now much like Metal Hammer who are going in a similar direction. I think I may start a new thread called 'Do you still care about Metal Hammer?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think a pertinent question would be whether anyone cared about Kerrang to begin with. Certainly when I used to read it there were few other sources of information but it still didn't bother me if I missed an issue and I reckon that would apply for others too.

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    I think a pertinent question would be whether anyone cared about Kerrang to begin with. Certainly when I used to read it there were few other sources of information but it still didn't bother me if I missed an issue and I reckon that would apply for others too.

True enough

Oh yes, and they never published my letter, although I didn't expect them too

The issue with that idiot from Avenged Sevenfold on the cover is out at the moment, and they're doing the whole "Download Special" thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yes, and it's awful.

Good Charlotte, Fall out Boy and other pop punk bands all day long. No music I'd call metal anyway.

Still the same then :D

blastman wrote: »
    I started buying Kerrang! regularly from issue 13 onwards (you know, the one with Gary Barden on the cover!) and it was an essential purchase for any self-respecting metal fan in the those pre-webnet and YouFace days. Somewhere along the way, though I lost interest, and I haven't bought Kerrang! in years.

Classic Rock is the magazine Kerrang! was, back in the day.

Classic Rock is very good. I don't particularly like Dom Lawson though. He also writes for Metal Hammer and he's on the forum there unfortunatley.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Bought it every issues from the mid to late 80s along with Metal Hammer. Picked up a copy about ten years ago and couldn't believe how bad it was. The broad hard rock/metal church approach of the 80s appears to have been abandoned at some stage to be replaced by MTV approved dross. Not sure if its continuing existence is proof that this was the correct editorial decision, it was a decision which allowed it continuing existence but there could have been other more inclusive, and possible more successful, directions.
    Anyway are they still giving KKKKK to every Iron Maiden release?

EggsAckley wrote: »
    Bought it every issues from the mid to late 80s along with Metal Hammer. Picked up a copy about ten years ago and couldn't believe how bad it was. The broad hard rock/metal church approach of the 80s appears to have been abandoned at some stage to be replaced by MTV approved dross. Not sure if its continuing existence is proof that this was the correct editorial decision, it was a decision which allowed it continuing existence but there could have been other more inclusive, and possible more successful, directions.
    Anyway are they still giving KKKKK to every Iron Maiden release?

I know what you mean. I think they are still giving five Ks to all new Iron Maiden albums unfortunatley. The last new great Iron Maiden album for me was 'Brave New World' and that was 11 years ago now. The new album is just to laid back, and lacking aggression for me. I miss the days when they made outstanding albums with a great mix aggression and melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I read it fairly religiously for 2 or 3 years then I started to stop giving a shít about too much of the music they were covering, it's like a slightly heavier version of NME now.

I also really dont like how it's written, it's like a rock tabloid..

I actually started a subscription to it yesterday, but only because I get 8 issues for £1 and then I'm going to cancel

I figure it will save me money just in case one of the next issues features something I might possibly read

Advertisement