Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish myths for kids?

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I recently bought my 8-yr-old daughter Ann Turnbull's excellent volume of illustrated Greek myths and she's really enjoying the book. I was wondering could anyone recommend a comparable collection of Irish myths suitable for young readers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The above book linked by Plowman seems pretty popular. There are loads and loads of these books. Local libraries will have a good selection. Here's the selection from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_23?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=irish+myths+and+legends&sprefix=irish+myths+and+legends

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Thanks for the replies people. Browsing through the contents cited in the book Plowman posted I notice it includes a story "Fionn and the Dragon"; hmmm, I don't recall any Fionn McCool vs Dragon stories from when I was a nipper back in the day, which makes me think the author is making up some yarns as well as re-telling the traditional ones. I would rather source a book that stays close to the original stories. And, as Parker Kent rightly notes, there are indeed "loads and loads" of these anthologies out there - I'm just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff! The Marie Heaney anthology, Names Upon The Harp in Parker's Amazon link looks interesting, have any boards.ie members read that and care to share their assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

chasmcb wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies people. Browsing through the contents cited in the book Plowman posted I notice it includes a story "Fionn and the Dragon"; hmmm, I don't recall any Fionn McCool vs Dragon stories from when I was a nipper back in the day, which makes me think the author is making up some yarns as well as re-telling the traditional ones.

I think I remember a story of a battle between the Fianna and some kind of fire-breathing creature, not exactly a dragon but it could be simplified to one for a kids story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Also for a kid it might be wise to get specifically kids versions, the real stories have some extremely gruesome stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Enkidu wrote: »
    Also for a kid it might be wise to get specifically kids versions, the real stories have some extremely gruesome stuff.

I did say in my original post "suitable for young readers" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

chasmcb wrote: »
    I did say in my original post "suitable for young readers" :)
    Woops, sorry I'm a bit of a dumbass!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I remember reading a book of Irish myths by Sinead de Valera when I was young, not the Fiannaíocht/Ruraíocht stories, they're more fairy tales. I can't remember the content of the stories but I do remember being fascinated by them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Fairy-Tales-Piccolo-Books/dp/0330235044/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307233979&sr=8-1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Plenty of books in that general area from O'Brien Press - http://www.obrien.ie/category.cfm?categoryID=9 - worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ganlan

signature2.jpgseo1.jpgseo2.jpguk2.jpgliu.jpgyeah ,I think so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement