Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 best beers in your opinion.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

rossie1977 wrote: »
    anyone here tried Franziskaner Weissbier?? i saw it in lidl yesterday for about €1.70 for a 500ml bottle but didn't take the gamble, only when i got home i saw it got decent ratings on beeradvocate

Very tasty stuff, seems quite popular with the members of this board. Lidl put it on special offer once in a while, picked up a case of it when it was €1.20 a couple of months ago. I'd say take the gamble next time if you like wheat beers. Aldi also do a fairly nice, cheepish weissbier, can't remember the name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

In no particular order:

Brooklyn Lager
    Paulaner hefe weissbier naturtrüb
    Guinness Draught
    Stone IPA
    Sierra Nevada IPA

Honorable mention:

Superbock Lager
    Windhoek Lager
    Hoegaarden Witbier
    Brooklyn Sorachi Ace
    Farmer Jon's Oatmeal Stout
    Spaten Oktoberfest
    Southern Tier Imperial Pumking Pumpkin Ale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

3 Fonteinen Oude Geueze
    Rochefort 8
    Stone IPA
    Victory Storm King
    Fullers London Pride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Weissbier's are my favourite. I'll check out those Lidl and Aldi ones. Paulaner's are 6 for €10 in Tesco at the moment. You can mix it with Wiehnstephanner and Edringer too.

The deal not the drink :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ive never heard of half these beers metioned
    Considering how many beers there are in the world, that's hardly surprising! I've only tried a tiny fraction, here are five faves in no particular order:
    Good to see so many American beers here, including the two on my list. There was a time when I thought all American beers were crap, and I guess the locals thought so too and did something about it. At an ice hockey game in Denver a few years ago, all they sold was draft Coors, but even that was decent, better than the Coors you get here.

I haven't included any microbreweries since I think they can be variable. For example, I remember I had some great wheat beer at the Soho Brewing Company in London, but it wasn't the same when I went back over a year later. I like Dunkel (dark weissbier), but can't single any one out since I've yet to find a bad one. :p

Honourable mention: the first beer I had more than one of was in South Africa - the local version of Amstel, which was superior to the Amstel you get here. It was the premium SAB brand at the time, and priced accordingly (but still inexpensive). I wasn't that keen on drinking (still aren't) and wouldn't have bothered had I not found a decent beer then.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Wow great thread!!

in no particular order

Pilsner Urquell
    Estrella Damm
    Budvar
    Peroni
    Boags (Great Tasmanian Beer from O'Briens & my favourite)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

1. Fosters
    2. Miller
    3. Desperados
    4. Budweiser
    5. Dutch Gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Asphyxia wrote: »
    1. Fosters
    2. Miller
    3. Desperados
    4. Budweiser
    5. Dutch Gold

Wrong thread?:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There are so many amazing beers I couldn't possibly have a definitive top 5.

This is what I've been tending towards recently. I'm sure it'll change when ht elocal gets in some new brands:

Brew Dog's Bitch Please - Expensive, but holy crap, beautiful flavour.

Kelpie Seaweed Ale - It's a lot more delicious than it sounds. There's a vague hint of the seaside off it, but in a good way.

Innis and Gunn - There's something ver special about this. Sweet, refreshing, decent price.

Helvick Gold - This is a pretty awesome drink, especially from a proper ale hand-pump.

Rothaus - I first encountered it about 8 years ago when I visited the Black Forest. I was surprised and delighted to see the Bierhaus in Cork got it in for their Summerfest weekend, and they still have it. One of my favourite weissbiers of all time, although their pilsner is pretty awesome too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not a beer expert by any means but my current favs include

1. Hoegaarden
    2. Paulaner
    3. sam adams boston lager
    4. König Ludwig dunkel
    5. guinness draft (stuff in cans and bottles :mad:)

Is the Konig Ludwig Dunkel available in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Heogarden and Paulaner have also claimed first and second spot on my list. I'm also loving Erdinger Kristal this summer. Great beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 applejacks

James Boags
    Budvar
    Heineken
    Becks
    Tsing Tao

Advertisement