Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bishops palace

• 02-06-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

see the scaffold came off it and looks far worse than when it went on....and what is going on with the horrible rails along the front??
    great to know where the cash is coming from to splash mortar all over the gable ends...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Hoffmans wrote: »
    see the scaffold came off it and looks far worse than when it went on....and what is going on with the horrible rails along the front??
    great to know where the cash is coming from to splash mortar all over the gable ends...

yip, myself and one of the lads drove past the other day and said the same thing - my first thought was that it mightn't be finished but then realised the scaffoild was down so it must be - looks awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Any photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Wait till its finished it is going to be a beautiful building when finished both inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Wait till its finished it is going to be a beautiful building when finished both inside and out.

I've no doubt that it will - but how can they finish the outside now that the scaffold is down - powerwashing wont put right the way it's been left and they're hardly going to re-erect it again given the cost.

You can see where they've filled in the cracks etc.

If anyone has photos it might be worth putting them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im sure there is a lot left to be done but it looks rough in areas where they have removed scaffold:

- red pipes sticking out of side of building
    - some of the plaster work around windows is not symetrical
    - the plaster comes out over the window brickwork edges and looks bad
    - I dont think there was a need for railings along front of building, they will be swung out of, loosened and broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I thought this was going to have to be ready for the tall ships? did they not do this place up a few years ago (2004)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I'd say what they did was return it to its Georgian state, removing "improvements" added over the years. I think it looks quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

It be fair, it was always a nice building. What you'd expect after months of costly work is some kind of noticeable improvement. I can't see any major difference to the building and I challenge anyone else to do so either.

This is being paid for with borrowed money after all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

did they run out of funding,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

it is done in the original materials, ie breathable lime based plaster etc, do not expect sharp arrus's perfect colour matching , the plaster alone takes months to dry out, It is not a new building and is not meant to look like a new building , its sagged uneven in places because its old,.
    The hand over is two weeks away yet , wait and see, the interior will be worth it on its own,you would not comment on a painting if it was not finished so leave it alone, knocking something before its finished ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

It be fair, it was always a nice building. What you'd expect after months of costly work is some kind of noticeable improvement. I can't see any major difference to the building and I challenge anyone else to do so either.

This is being paid for with borrowed money after all :rolleyes:

All the works on The Mall footpaths, Bishops Palace and new museum are being funded by the 10 million Martin Cullen secured for Viking Triangle before he resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

passed it earlier and looks fine :confused:

actually the whole area looks great, especially the transformation of the car park at the back, looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I think this thread is really depressing. Passed this building earlier and its obvious that the mortar is meant to look like this. This mortar will take months to weather into the desired effect and what people need is a bit of patience and faith.

In relation to the red pipe sticking out of the gutter Im sure thats it is needed there for the moment. Surrounding a large building with scaffolding which is often charged at a daily rate is expensive. When you no longer have a major need for it you take it down. Then in a weeks time or whatever you hire a cherry picker for the day to tidy up any loose ends.

Its so easy to come on and knock something why dont we wait and see and maybe actually visit the building when it opens and then make comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thread needs pix

Advertisement