Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Farm in Limerick?

• 02-06-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are going to spend the June Bank holiday week end in Limerick with our 20 month old son.

We were thinking about taking him to a pet farm, I googled "pet farm Limerick" and found those 2 :

http://www.buttercupfarm.ie/
    http://www.stonehallvisitorfarm.com/

Is one better than the other one? Or would you recommend somewhere else?

Also, are there playgrounds suitable for young children in the city centre?

Thanks!
    Claire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I'd choose Buttercup farm over the other one. There's a playground in the People's Park near the train station

• Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

Have never been to Buttercup Farm so I can't comment on that one, but my wife and I took our 9 month old son to Stonehall a couple of months ago. It's a nice place, with friendly owners. It has a nice range of animals to see and walking around there is a nice way to pass an hour. They also have tea/coffee facilities at the entrance and a kids play area with a bouncy castle, although that may be coming a bit too early for your 20 month old.

Admission price was €7 per adult, and our son was free because he was still in his pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Been to the stonehall one with my kids, they really liked it. They have added some big aviary thing since the last time I had been there, lots of parrots etc there. Was also a section with bunnies/hampsters etc. If you dont fancy the tea/coffee options there is also a pub kind of across the road from the entrance as I recall.
    Wear walking shoes, you'll be doing a fair bit, some up some quite steep forest tracks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Was in Buttercup farm and was not impressed

Stonehall must better - kids can see the animals and they have a play area too and its in a woods and you can go for a walk there as well afterwards and we are to get good weather this weekend. Bring a picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

+1 for Stonehall visitor farm. It's a genuine labour of love for Christy and his wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Stonehall is right by Curraghchase which is a lovely place for a picnic and a walk. Fairly decent paths, so a buggy rider should drop right off :p I would recommend Stonehall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

can I bump this?

I'm heading down to Kerry with 4 kids soon and we were thinking of making a stopover for lunch and activites (to break the journey) for an hour or two.

Can anyone give us their thoughts on these based on recent experiences?

tks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

can I bump this?

I'm heading down to Kerry with 4 kids soon and we were thinking of making a stopover for lunch and activites (to break the journey) for an hour or two.

Can anyone give us their thoughts on these based on recent experiences?

tks in advance

Stonehall visitor farm is now upgraded to a zoo! Lots of new additions in the last couple of years, Joey the kangaroo the most exciting, along with a huge macaw and some fantastic birds of prey, feel free to bring picnics / lunches and avail of the play area with bouncy castle, ride on tractors and karts, it's just down the road from me so I am a bit biased, but see for yourself it's a great attraction and there seems to be school tours there every day at the moment, you won't be disappointed ! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Stonehall visitor farm is now upgraded to a zoo! Lots of new additions in the last couple of years, Joey the kangaroo the most exciting, along with a huge macaw and some fantastic birds of prey, feel free to bring picnics / lunches and avail of the play area with bouncy castle, ride on tractors and karts, it's just down the road from me so I am a bit biased, but see for yourself it's a great attraction and there seems to be school tours there every day at the moment, you won't be disappointed ! :-)

Ah tks a mill for that-that place sounds like just the job so. Cheers

Advertisement