Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel + IF function Help

• 02-06-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm trying to use the "=DATE()" function in excell combined with an IF fucntion.

I have a piece of measuring equipment hooked up to the PC.
    When i press the button on the measuring tool it spits a number into Columb A, and moves down 1 row automagically each time the button is pressed.

What I want is to put in Columb B a time and date stamp provided the number fed into columb A isn't 0.

Here is what I've put into B1:
    =IF(A1<>0,"=NOW()",0)

Putting =NOW() into a blank cell does provide the time, however instead of putting in the time and date when a number is put into columb A, its just writing "NOW()" into columb B.

Any ideas?
    Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Not entirely sure how to solve your problem! But I do know that whatever is between the quotes will appear as just text in a cell! So because you have "now()" thats what will appear in the cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

py2006 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure how to solve your problem! But I do know that whatever is between the quotes will appear as just text in a cell! So because you have "now()" thats what will appear in the cell.

This. Plus dont put the = in the =now.

I would phrase this forumla as:

=IF(A1="","",NOW())

Meaning if A1 = Blank
    True = Leave Blank
    False = TIMESTAMP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I'm trying to use the "=DATE()" function in excell combined with an IF fucntion.

I have a piece of measuring equipment hooked up to the PC.
    When i press the button on the measuring tool it spits a number into Columb A, and moves down 1 row automagically each time the button is pressed.

What I want is to put in Columb B a time and date stamp provided the number fed into columb A isn't 0.

Here is what I've put into B1:
    =IF(A1<>0,"=NOW()",0)

Putting =NOW() into a blank cell does provide the time, however instead of putting in the time and date when a number is put into columb A, its just writing "NOW()" into columb B.

Any ideas?
    Any help much appreciated.

It's treating it as text because of the " " , and so just putting in whatever's written there. Try adding a random letter inbetween the "N" and "O" to test if you want.

Anyway the solution is to put the forumla as =IF(A3<>0,NOW(),0)

And don't forget to format the cell as a date, otherwise it'll come out as 40053.23 or something crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8 watson.robin

Ah ha, thank you spottyelephant.

I thought I'd tried your approach but mustn't have.
    I had tried it with and without the "" around the NOW()

Thanks all.

Advertisement