Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do we stand?

Options
  • 02-06-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi

We bought a house 7 months ago that required alot of renovation so we weren't living there. Over the past few weeks we have been gradually moving in and so obviously using our bins.

We noticed that the black bin wasn't been collected so rang Dublin city council to set up payment for our bin collection. The lady informed us that the previous owner of the house has an outstanding bill of €1000 since 2008. They had chased after her for this since then but she never payed up. The lady advised us to get onto our solicitor to forward on a change of ownership form, and also to forward a letter to her solicitor saying that she owes an outstanding bill.

To be honest I don't know where we stand. When we signed for the house I asked the solicitor did he check for any outstanding bills for the house and he said it was all clear. We cannot have our bins collected now until the bill is cleared and also we will be out of pocket paying for more solicitor fees by going to him. It really has me fuming. Any advice? Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Hi

We bought a house 7 months ago that required alot of renovation so we weren't living there. Over the past few weeks we have been gradually moving in and so obviously using our bins.

We noticed that the black bin wasn't been collected so rang Dublin city council to set up payment for our bin collection. The lady informed us that the previous owner of the house has an outstanding bill of €1000 since 2008. They had chased after her for this since then but she never payed up. The lady advised us to get onto our solicitor to forward on a change of ownership form, and also to forward a letter to her solicitor saying that she owes an outstanding bill.

To be honest I don't know where we stand. When we signed for the house I asked the solicitor did he check for any outstanding bills for the house and he said it was all clear. We cannot have our bins collected now until the bill is cleared and also we will be out of pocket paying for more solicitor fees by going to him. It really has me fuming. Any advice? Thanks!

Go see your local city councillor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Same thing happened to me when I moved into my house.

As you were advised, I just got a letter from my solicitor, stamped with the date I moved in, and forwarded it on to the city council and I was only liable for bins after that! It did take a little while to sort and it was summer so it was a bit unpleasant, but maybe 2-3 weeks max.

I also had to do the same for Eircom Phonewatch, ESB, etc...it's normal procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Hi

It's up to your solicitor to do this work. It's a condition of sale. As they did not it is up to them to rectify it promptly at their expense. Your solicitor should not charge you fees for this as it was part of original work which you paid for.

So contact your solicitor and sternly request that they sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Also consider the likes of city bin or thorntons, i found city bin great, text reminders and direct debit payments.

Advertisement