Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting a possible supervisor (advice please!)

Options
  • 02-06-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m currently in the process of applying for a research degree, but I really feel that I need some help with this. I sent out emails to three lecturers on Tuesday, and I found out today that two of them have replied and said that they might be able to help me. I’ve been researching the topic on and off for a year (Masters kind of got in the way a bit), but I know I’ll need to have a lot more done by the time I meet with either of them. What I’m asking is:

1) How much research would you need to have done by the time you meet with a possible supervisor for an initial meeting?

2) How defined would your topic need to be? I’m aware that my topic will change throughout the course of the degree but I’m not sure how much of my idea needs to be ‘set in stone’ by the time I meet with a possible supervisor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

It will help to have some ideas as to areas you would like to pursue, but remember, this is your chance to evaluate these people as potential advisors too - so try to meet current students and ask them what type of supervision they receive, typical duration of PhD under this person, do they enjoy working with them.....this will make your life easier in the long run! I only wish Id done this - you live you learn!

Advertisement