Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tell me what you think...

• 02-06-2011 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys

Just looking for some opinions here.

About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased a Star Wars2 : Force Unleashed Collectors Edition game for the PS3. I did not open the game untill Monday Evening and found that the immaculate disc would not read in my system.

After an hour on the phone to Sony trouble shooting issue including testing disc in another PS3 System it was established that the disc was in fact faulty.

I went back to the shop where I bought it but had not a leg to stand on because I had misplaced the receipt. They asked that I contact the makers of the game which is Multi Billionaires Lucas Arts. And they were basically no help. They sent me on a list of prices I would have to pay to replace the disc.

Now I ask you all. Am I being unfair? Should I really be treated like this when the product was manufactured incorrectly ?

Thank you for reading my articile

Damien

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Proof of purchase is very important here. Your contract is with the shop, and I'm sure that they'd be happy to help you if you had proof of purchase (I'm assuming that it was a cash purchase?).

You have no contract with the manufacturer, but it is bad form on their part that they wouldn't help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Did you pay by cash or credit/laser card?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dai060588

I bought 2 games on the day one by laser and one by card

turns out the card payment was not the one for this item so I paid cash

I can narrow it down to the exact day and time and I know for a fact this was the last cop this particular branch had in Ireland

I know it's a long shot but maybe ask the shop to look at their cctv footage if they have any for the date and time you think you bought it. They really should help you here as a matter of kindness but without proof they can continue to refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dai060588

I did suggest that but they did not accept to do so.

What is really annoying me is Lucas Arts the minds behind one of the biggest franchises in the world is dealing with issue so poorly.

I would disagree that it is down to the shop because the product is not damaged it was faulty from manafacture

• Advertisement

Yes but the shop sold it to you so your contract is with the shop.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dai060588 wrote: »
    I would disagree that it is down to the shop because the product is not damaged it was faulty from manafacture

You may disagree however the contract is with the shop because thats who you bought it from, it doesn't matter how much money the company that makes the game makes a year that has no relevance to your issue at all

One other option is to write a letter to the manager/owner/head office of the shop outlining your problem and that you realise you have misplaced the proof of purchase. Ask them is there any thing they can do as you've bought lots of games from this shop and have always been happy with their service and prices. You know that while it is partly your fault you do feel let down by the current service you've experienced. Tell them you'd really appreciate any help they can offer you in this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Legally, your contract is with the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I agree with Cookie. Write to the shop and explain your situation. Make sure you mention the date of the transaction and tha tone was on the laser card and the other in cash. Maybe they could trace the laser transaction and see the other action next.

Be humble in the letter and also mention that you contacted Sony etc.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Hi guys

Just looking for some opinions here.

About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased a Star Wars2 : Force Unleashed Collectors Edition game for the PS3. I did not open the game untill Monday Evening and found that the immaculate disc would not read in my system.

After an hour on the phone to Sony trouble shooting issue including testing disc in another PS3 System it was established that the disc was in fact faulty.

I went back to the shop where I bought it but had not a leg to stand on because I had misplaced the receipt. They asked that I contact the makers of the game which is Multi Billionaires Lucas Arts. And they were basically no help. They sent me on a list of prices I would have to pay to replace the disc.

Now I ask you all. Am I being unfair? Should I really be treated like this when the product was manufactured incorrectly ?
    That's the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard. It's down to the shop to sort it out. If my copy of Ironman 2 wasn't working I wouldn't be feckin told to ring Marvel or Universal would I?

You shot yourself in the foot by not checking the disc straight away, and without the reciept you don't have much to go on. "Hi I got this game 4 weeks ago(more than enough time to finish the game), but it's broken now." You can see how it looks to them in fairness.

If the game was purchased brand new, then it's a gray area without the recipet. If you bough it pre-owned, then the shop are at fault for not testing it.

Send a letter off to the head office to see if you can garner anything there, they might be a bit nicer about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes you are being unfair, and no, without any proof that you bought it in their shop for full price, and not a 2nd shop for a fiver, they don't have to entertain any grievances you have in regards to your disc not working.

Advertisement