Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a double gate

• 02-06-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hey all.
    I have a gate with wooden panels on a metal frame. I want to replace the rotten wood panels with new wood. The wood I need is 6 x 1 treated. I need 105 ft. I rang for a price of wood and got quoted 140 euro, is this good or bad price. Also can anyone tell what bolts are usually used for attaching wood to metal frame.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Hey all.
    I have a gate with wooden panels on a metal frame. I want to replace the rotten wood panels with new wood. The wood I need is 6 x 1 treated. I need 105 ft. I rang for a price of wood and got quoted 140 euro, is this good or bad price. Also can anyone tell what bolts are usually used for attaching wood to metal frame.
    Thanks

Firstly the price would seem very much on the high side, as most providers and co ops will have 6"x1" treated fence boards in any length from 3ft to 8ft and will be around 35/40cent per foot, and can be screwed directly to the steel with a type of screw especially for this type of job, it is like a countersunk self tapper but can drill it's own hole thru the steel, or if it's just single wall steel cup head bolts would be neater.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Little Bubbles

Thanks for reply. What is the name of bolts i need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's very expensive for the wood. Why not use tonge and grove flooring?? Should be a fraction of the price and fit together well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What type of wood were you quoted for, softwood or hardwood? Species ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Thanks for reply. What is the name of bolts i need?
    If it's on a box iron frame, then the "counter sunk self drilling screws" would be best, 35/40mm in length, though if it is a flat steel or angle iron behind the timber, then a "cuphead bolt" would be neater again around 30/35mm in length should be finebe fine.......any decent providers should be able to sort you for both timber and fixings....

• Advertisement
Advertisement