Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which channels have 5.1 and how to recieve?

• 02-06-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭

Which channels at the moment are broadcasting in surround sound and how would you recieve it?

Is it Dolby or just like AC3? Say if I was using a DVB-S card and Windows Media Center, can I pass that through to my amp that can decode it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

CONTENT...

What content has 5.1 at all?
    What content gets any value from it?

Made for Cinema film.

AC3 is Dolby Surround!
    Other kinds are DTS and HE-AAC

Even when HD channels are transmitting it unless it's suitably sourced Film, it may be stereo really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

watty wrote: »
    CONTENT...

What content has 5.1 at all?
    What content gets any value from it?

Made for Cinema film.

AC3 is Dolby Surround!
    Other kinds are DTS and HE-AAC

Even when HD channels are transmitting it unless it's suitably sourced Film, it may be stereo really.

Why would no television shows get any value from it?

Any ideas if WMC pass through the stream or does any software decoding itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

BBC HD transmit 5.1 on some stuff like Movies and I think some sport like Wimbledon also Jules Holland I think. I think its good.

I receive it through my Freesat box\Sony amp, I don't know how you would go about getting it on a pc.

Advertisement