Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm Crime

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Supermad4tar

ya this does go on. but the people that do this sort of things are sometimes known to the victim but sher nothing can be done to them as the law protects them!! sheep are an easy market at the moment as they are up in price and plenty of hill and sheep farmers have noticed the flocks getting smaller!! the tagging system is very bad and it isnt acceptible this day and age sher it is so easy to take the tags out and sell the sheep in a different herd. The sheep could be hangin in a factory when the farmer realises that they are gone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

In the last year I've heard a numbers of stories of sheep(and ex-sheep) turning up in back gardens in the capital:(

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Birdnuts, I live not that far from Blessington and I can tell you that farm crime is rampant. Just this week a neighbour of mine have 7 cattle taken, Another neighbour had a teleporter taken. Another had an ATV taken a number of months ago. Myself I have 3 heifer clves taken in the autumn last year. Luckily I got them back a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Browning wrote: »
    Birdnuts, I live not that far from Blessington and I can tell you that farm crime is rampant. Just this week a neighbour of mine have 7 cattle taken, Another neighbour had a teleporter taken. Another had an ATV taken a number of months ago. Myself I have 3 heifer clves taken in the autumn last year. Luckily I got them back a few days later.

Rural areas are a soft target for this kind of thing - especcially places within driving distance of major urban areas, and the problem is likely to get worse still as Irelands economy continues to tank with further cut-backs, higher taxes etc.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

A white van pulled into our area a while back. 4 guys jumped out and ran into one of the houses in the area. The van pulled up again about 100m up the road and another 4 jumped out, in again to another house. Luckily some one spotted them and set off their own alarm. They panicked and ran. Van picked them up and sped away at high speed.
    I heard it left the older couple in the second house very shaken.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

This is a couple of years ago
    WE were building atank for a guy and he had some "Scrap dealers" who were doing a side line in tool sales in looking to buy scrap.
    He duly showed them two stainless steel tanks he had in a paddock beside the lane
    Asked them 100 euros for them both.
    They offered 50 he refused and the gentlemen left.
    Next morning the tanks were gone
    The moral of the story is either accept their first offer or don't entertain them for a minute around the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I had two bags of dairy nuts robbed this year funnily enough I had a ''scrap dealer'' around that day too ,some lads would steal the eye out of your head, I know tis harmless really but what did he do with the nuts thank to large noisy dogs I'm safe enough

Any of ye remember Ennis mart getting robbed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Spent last night sleeping in the car outside my cattle shed. Sunday night a ford transit registered to a traveller in Ennis pulled outside the shed, claiming to be lost and they left when quizzed. By chance same ford pulled near the entrance again, it took off when I flashed and I lost if a mile away. Reported to gardai, they radioed all cars, but nothing. What the hell can you do with these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

haybob wrote: »
    I had two bags of dairy nuts robbed this year funnily enough I had a ''scrap dealer'' around that day too ,some lads would steal the eye out of your head, I know tis harmless really but what did he do with the nuts thank to large noisy dogs I'm safe enough

Any of ye remember Ennis mart getting robbed
    after reading this , i was after getting 10 tonne of dairy nuts in to my meal bin . A few days later i could see there was no nuts at the view hole , i convinced myself that some one had stole the nuts out of my meal bin while i was away... turns out the nuts are all lying to one side thank god;)

haybob wrote: »
    .....Any of ye remember Ennis mart getting robbed
    When did this happen? What was taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

There is only one thing them boys understand .and it goes BANG BANG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Spent last night sleeping in the car outside my cattle shed. Sunday night a ford transit registered to a traveller in Ennis pulled outside the shed, claiming to be lost and they left when quizzed. By chance same ford pulled near the entrance again, it took off when I flashed and I lost if a mile away. Reported to gardai, they radioed all cars, but nothing. What the hell can you do with these guys?

thats an old tinker trick , when they realise they are not wanted , they start looking for directions to somewhere like dublin :rolleyes: , we all know that tinkers know every boreen in the country , they are a walking sat nav

We had a 'salesman' call into our place yesterday (east Clare).....selling Persian rugs. Hate the way they just drive into a place. Neighbour has one of those security cameras that record on a sensor. He got his reg number and a perfect pic of his face.
    Of course, he wont be the guy that 'follows up on the sales'.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

had some clown tie a rope on to a road gate in the middle of the night and pull it clean out of the hangers found it thirty yards further on buckled in the centre of the road.
    my neighbor gate opposite to this was also done think they ran out of rope after this.
    luckily they was no stock in the fields or no one hit the gate.
    i presume it would be my fault if they did

Advertisement