Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish History

• 02-06-2011 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I have a lot of notes on the comparison of Cumann na Gaedheal and Fianna Fail in power I got off http://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts/ .
    Theres a lot of information, how would you compound all that into an essay and how would you structure it. Also, what questions would you most likely be asked if it came up. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

That's a very useful site! Thanks for sharing!

I would think that the most likely question would be one on how they handled the economy.

If it was that, from 1923-1939, I would structure it like this:

1. Cumann na nGaedhael general economic policy
    Mention free trade, balancing the budget, Ernest Blythe, how they didn't implement the policies of Arthur Griffith, things like that.

2. Agricultural Policy
    James Hogan, introducing standards of production (grading & inspection), the creation of the ACC, how the Land Commission finished the purchasing of land, main focus was on agriculture, 80% exports were agricultural, 50% people were employed there but only made up 33% of national income. Failure in general, very limited improvement.

3. Industrial Policy
    Successes- Shannon Scheme, foundation of ESB, Patrick McGilligan wasw Minister, larger companies benefited from free trade because they relied on exports, cheap British products flooded the market and damaged smaller businesses. Forced to bring in limited tariff protection, set up a Tarriff Comission chaired by JJ McElligott. Bar a few minor successes, this was a failure.

4. Fianna Fáil General Economic Policy
    Self-sufficiency & tariff protection. Supported government intervention. Wanted to eradicate extreme poverty of the time.

5. Agricultural Policy
    Land Commission redistributed land, Encouraged tillage over livestock, gave farmers guaranteed prices. Then the Economic War which damaged the economy massively. A failure, most farmers stuck with livestock farming and the economic war hurt the economy.

6. Industrial Policy
    Seán Lemass, Control of Manufacturers Act, ICC, Semi-state bodies like the Irish Sugar Company and Aer Lingus, 50% increase in numbers employed in industry, was a success compared to CnaG.

That's just a general overview of what I'd do, mightn't be perfect. You'd want to create a good link back to the question in each paragraph too, and make a better comparison between the 2. I think the two general paragraphs would be shorter than the others but it would balance out overall.

If the years extend to 1945, you could include how FF dealt with the Emergency- rationing, compulsory tillage, the Irish Shipping Company, glimmer men and all that.

Advertisement