Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predictions viz. points increase.

• 02-06-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I know that the CAO point requirements have been fluctuating quite a bit in the past few years, but is there any sort of limit to this? I've applied for a course with a 240 point requirement, and I got 315 points last year. I'm repeating the LC, but I'll probably do worse than that.
    Anyway, the course I'm looking at is a level 6 [with progression to a Honours Bsc.], and again, the requirement is 240 points. Is there any chance of this shooting to above 315 this year, or am I worrying over nothing?
    I know that the course I briefly attended last year went from requiring 235 points in 2009 to 285 in 2010, which is pretty drastic and perhaps part of a worrying trend. Is there a chance that I won't get into my course this year with 315 points? It's an environmental science course, and I know that the sciences are getting increasingly popular..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

You never know but I highly doubt a level six course will go up 75 points! I think you're safe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

I'm royally screwed if they do. I wish there was some kind of cap on this points-raising tomfoolery, because I'm going to crazy as it is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

as said above, you should be good. CAO applicant number show no increase from last year so they shouldn't change too drastically...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I'm royally screwed if they do. I wish there was some kind of cap on this points-raising tomfoolery, because I'm going to crazy as it is..

The points of a course is the lowest points a student doing the course got, so last year the person with the lowest points on your chose course got 240! That's why the points are unpredictable and also why there can't be a cap on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's based on supply and demand, so it can't be capped.

That said, I would agree that a 75 point increase (in this case an increase of just under a third) on a Level 6 course is unlikely enough, especially as I think we've already seen most of the big jumps in points over the last couple of years.

No-one can give you an absolute answer though until August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Businessy, commercy courses seem to be going up a lot lately, while law courses seem to be decreasing. As luck would have it, this happens to suit me fine! Would people expect these trends to continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

fionnsci wrote: »
    Businessy, commercy courses seem to be going up a lot lately, while law courses seem to be decreasing. As luck would have it, this happens to suit me fine! Would people expect these trends to continue?

they're mainly going down slightly or staying static because of the state of the economy i thought business,law, arts were all going down and science and education courses going up?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

they're mainly going down slightly or staying static because of the state of the economy i thought business,law, arts were all going down and science and education courses going up?

Yeah, I heard that applications to business courses were down 5% this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Yeah, I heard that applications to business courses were down 5% this year ?

As did I, i wouldn't expect any madness with any law,business, construction
    related courses this year
    hoping for a little drop in business courses

and if you were to take the thread here on cao choices as representative of LC students at large what i said in my previous post would be true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

As did I, i wouldn't expect any madness with any law,business, construction
    related courses this year
    hoping for a little drop in business courses

and if you were to take the thread here on cao choices as representative of LC students at large what i said in my previous post would be true

Yeah a 5 point drop would be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

You might surprise yourself, if you got 315 last year chances are you'll get 340-380 this year! Why not go for a good level 8 course, maybe even arts (usually 375)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

UCC Nursing going down by any miraculous chance? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

hey im in economics and finance in UCD.Points for this course went up from 480 to 520 last year and to be honest i can see them rising further to around 540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

hey im in economics and finance in UCD.Points for this course went up from 480 to 520 last year and to be honest i can see them rising further to around 540

Could may well be the case. I know 5 people that have it down number 1 on the CAO :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

yea its a great course with seemingly good job prospects,also theres an internship year being trialed next year so that will only increase points further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Someone told me that none of the points are going up this year at all?? Is this true? :confused: Its probably not, thought it sounded too good to be true at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Someone told me that none of the points are going up this year at all?? Is this true? :confused:
    How could it be? How could they know?

Points are based on the simple principle of supply and demand ... even the CAO don't know what the points for this years courses will be until after they get this year's LC results.

Advertisement