Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview skills training

Options
  • 02-06-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hi, can anyone help...i am unfortunately unemployed again after finishing a contract in the last few weeks :mad: anyhow, i seem to have lost my confidence and i dont think i perform very well in interviews...does anyone know of a interview coach in the kilkenny area that is good and does not charge a fortune. many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't be hard on yourself, it's not your the fault economy is in a mess. Some people who got paid very well didn't do their job, got paid off and aren't being held accountable for their incompetence and greed.

For what it's worth there are many in your boat, and a lot I know are having difficulty dealing with the lack of opportunity. I've been through this before in the eighties and early nineties and all i'll advise is if you can't get anything then learn new stuff and get involved in voluntary stuff that may get you into something you'd like to do in the future. Just keep busy on a goal, a personal goal if it's all you got.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think there's a job club that meet down the quay (in a building and not for cans around a bench). As mentioned, keep going, there isn't much out there but I just took the first thing that came along which to be fair is about the only thing that has come along. Again as per the last post keep your face out there, clubs, volunteering etc... are great ways to meet people and you may meet someone who's giving a few hours or better.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

in a building and not for cans around a bench
    Aww :(

Yeah interview skills are a must-have. Also CV skills. If you're not sure about CV's it is most definitely worth your while getting competent help with it. You would be amazed at the sh!te people send in, in lieu of a decent CV, then wonder why they don't get called for an interview. You'd be better off spending your time down the quays around a bench with a bag o canz than doing that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

thanks a million for your support lads - appreciate it. yes soul destroying and a big worry being unemployed and i know there are many of us around, hopefully something will turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 henger

There are many do's and don't of interviews up on YouTube, too many if you ask me, but can anyone recommend any good ones for group work with learners preparing for interview.

Thanks

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

hey

I spent 9 months on the scratcher not too long back, finally picked someting up, i wouldn't take the first thing that comes up regardless - remember you always have options even if they are not your first choice (australia/UK/ canada etc) and depending on what you do - there is a bit of life out there, you need to root around and talk to the right people - some sectors are busier than ever,
    dont adopt the "I sent 4 million job applications and not one came back to me" approach, chase chase chase, assume that no-one "will come back to you" its not practical for them anyway. I looked for career coaches here in KK ad couldn't find one that suited - ended up going to one in Naas. Was worth it at the time but looking back she didn't tell me anything I didn't know. One important piece of advice I learned was to rehearse and practice several key answers that you could apply to most of the generic questions you will get asked in an interview. It is possible to steer an interview to suit your reheased answers without sounding robotic. Try to look at this as a period of "time off" and as an opportunity to do things you might not have considered in your previous employed life, sorry if this sounds patronising, good luck

Advertisement