Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Work in Brussels

Options
  • 02-06-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

without a second language? Any chance?

Would love a job with the EU or one its many institution's. My degree is really geared towards working with the EU but I don't have a word of any second language :)

Anyone know of any decent recruiter's or websites that would be handy?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

without a second language? Any chance?

Would love a job with the EU or one its many institution's. My degree is really geared towards working with the EU but I don't have a word of any second language :)

Anyone know of any decent recruiter's or websites that would be handy?

Cheers.

Your screwed, all the EU jobs require a second language.

You can use Irish though as its a recognised European language, at least Northern Ireland did something right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭movingtotheuk

Your screwed, all the EU jobs require a second language.

You can use Irish though as its a recognised European language, at least Northern Ireland did something right :)

Not a word of Irish either :) Im fu*king dog ignorant basically.

Seems to be some jobs jobs floating about that require basic/intermediate French - I figure I could get that in a month of hard work. Will this cut it do you think? Are you over there yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Plenty of work in and around Brussels which doesn't need a local language.

Look at consultancy companies.
    Look at manufacturing companies.
    Look at banks.
    etc. etc.

What is your degree, what do you want to do?

Generally for EU jobs you must do an entrance exam which is performed in a working language of the EU (English, French, German) and is done not in your primary language.

So you need to be good. After that you need to to wait till one of the Directorate General is interested in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xximpxx

i am also looking for work in brussels. i'm fluent in french and have a degree in law and european studies, i just have no idea where to start looking. would it be easier to find work once over there??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

xximpxx wrote: »
    i am also looking for work in brussels. i'm fluent in french and have a degree in law and european studies, i just have no idea where to start looking. would it be easier to find work once over there??

If you follow through to become a solicitor that's quite valuable here I think.
    Then you could work for any number of EU institutions.

Otherwise, it depends what you want to do.

EU?
    Nato? (If you have French/UK citizenship for example - Irish doesn't help).
    Other.

I'd say start the searching when in Ireland. Contact recruiters in particular. Consider doing the entrance tests to EC also if its interesting to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement