Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A1 poster printing requirements

Options
  • 02-06-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just drawing up an A1 poster, and I was wondering - would a printer still require the file to be 300dpi at that size? My expertise only extends to A3 posters or less. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

I would say so. Why not ? Hmm I can imagine your filesize already :P lovely..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

At that scale they would be happy with 25% of the physical size at 300 dpi. So for an A1, a 300dpi A3 file will be ok. This would be fairly standard if they are printing on a plotter (roll) as opposed to a sheetfed litho press. For litho, it wouldn't hurt to go a little bigger, even a 300 dpi A2 file. Always remember, if you're dealing with raster images as opposed to vectors, its pointless to increase the artwork to a pixel size greater than the original as the resolution isnt actually getting bigger its just being resampled to a larger size at the same resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Cheers for the reply folks, I had an A1 template open at 300dpi and I was worried steam would start coming out of my laptop... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Had to do an A0 before in 16bit 300dpi.

Jesus... Christ...

banquo wrote: »
    Had to do an A0 before in 16bit 300dpi.

Jesus... Christ...

How is that even possible? I can feel the laptop heating up already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Had 4th of ram but a pretty decent processor. 'Select -> lasso' *5 minutes go by before ps is usable again*. It took days!

I can only imagine. I hope it was worth it in the end.

Advertisement