Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Cycle App - Android

• 02-06-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hey I am just wondering what you lot think it the best Andoird app for tracking your spins ? Just ditched the iphone and miss Cyclemeter :(

Market Place seems to have some trash in it and not sure which is the better job. Dont mind spending a few euro if the app it good quality.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I use MyTracks and then import the gpx file into RidewithGps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A Garmin is the best for tracking your spins. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

not more gadgets. The missus is not going to be happy at all at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Does she consult you when she buys her handbags and shoes and makeup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

mapmyride is worth checking out:

http://www.mapmyride.com/imapmy/android/

I've used the running one quite a bit. I'm sure the cycling one is similarly good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd recommend cardiotrainer myself, I tried all of them and settled on that as being the best before I bought my Garmin.

Free version

Pro Paid Version

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

+1 for CardioTrainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

I use Endomondo. Seems to work pretty well; mapping, lap times etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

I use Sports Tracker on a Nokia, but they have android and iPhone versions on the way, apparently. Currently it's a free app, and hopefully it will remain so on the new platform, and I find it pretty good. Sometimes export spins from it to upload the Garmin site for their better analysis though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've been using sports tracker on Android for a couple of years now. Great app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I agree with Raam - the various sports logging apps for Android and iPhone don't do as good a job as a dedicated GPS device. If you buy from an online electronics retailer rather than a cycling retailer, you should be able to get a Garmin Edge 500 for €180-185. You'll probably get it for even less if you buy from an eBay seller.

What does a garmin do that a phone can't. I would have thought a phone would be more capable of more functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bluefoam wrote: »
    What does a garmin do that a phone can't. I would have thought a phone would be more capable of more functions.

Hrm? can't see it being capable of much more tbh. They're both just computers with a GPS.

Khannie wrote: »
    Hrm? can't see it being capable of much more tbh. They're both just computers with a GPS.

Yes. But a garmin is limited by the software it runs and by the lack of communication options.

With a phone you can use any software you want in order to use whatever functions and file types you want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Garmin has much better battery life, and as its not your phone you don't get stuck with one battery bar when you want to go for a long ride after work as its been used all day.

The Garmin is completely weatherproof so when you get caught out by that deluge you are not wondering how to keep your phone dry.

The Garmin sits nicely on your stem and gives a miriad of really useful information - Cadence, HR, Speed, Altitude, Climb % etc. I find cadence very useful now I have my Garmin, it's getting me out of the bad habit of grinding away in the wrong gear with a low cadence.

I would agree a mobile is great for logging your efforts, but there does come a point when you have spent 1k on a bike, 500 on accessories and you have to look at investing the 200 yoyos on a Garmin 500 as the next best investment in your cycling odyssey, en route to the the deep rim carbon wheels and powertap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Withstand a shower of rain without having to faf about with covers,

Plus it will save you worrying that your €500 phone is going to fall off,

Plus easy integration with heart rate and cadence sensors.

Plus the batteries last for hours,

There is probably more but that's all I can think of at the moment....

Beaten to it by inquitus. Great minds think alike !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Generally speaking, a single function device will perform that one function better than a multi-function device. Think of a dedicated cyclist, runner or swimmer versus a triathlete ;)

But to be more specific, just consider power consumption. There is a correlation between the accuracy of any GPS device and the amount of power that it draws from the battery. Putting it another way, the more power you are willing to allocate to the business of getting GPS fixes, the more accurate the results and the more frequently you can afford to obtain them.

In a dedicated GPS device, such as a Garmin, there is very little else competing for the available battery life because getting GPS fixes is pretty much all the device has to do. The CPU doesn't have much to do (and will be an ultra-low power model in any case), there is no RF circuitry to power, and there is no bright hi-res screen to power. As such, the Garmin can dedicate itself to getting very regular and very accurate GPS fixes.

In contrast, I know from my experience with developing location-based apps for the BlackBerry that if an app requests very accurate and very regular position/course updates from the GPS chip, it drains the battery very quickly indeed, and I've no reason to think this is any different on other smartphone platforms like iPhone and Android.

I have just decided to take up some xc mountain biking but I am on a budget. I would like a top of the range GPS unit but as i already have an Android phone with GPS I am curious of its potential.. I have used apps like Sportstracker which are fine to an extent. Anyone know of an app or method that can allow me to pre-plan xc routes on google maps or similar / download other peoples routes / re-trace my old routes using turn by turn navigation? I can buy a handle bar mounting kit with waterproof case for fairly cheap

Advertisement