Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec alarm, error 77 call engineer.

Options
  • 02-06-2011 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just noticed an error on the alarm panel, 77 call engineer. The alarm seems to set fine with no false alarms.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its the service interval. Its usually set for 52 weeks.
    Nothing to worry about unless your home insurance stipulates EN50131

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I see, thanks for that. Had it serviced about 9 months ago though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Then either the timer is set for less or the engineer code was not entered on the last call.
    The service interval is set in weeks & the timer restarts when the panel exits engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

No big deal, I'll be getting it done again next month anyway.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Neilw wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just noticed an error on the alarm panel, 77 call engineer. The alarm seems to set fine with no false alarms.

Any idea what the problem could be?

I would ask him to remove this from the alarm. The amount of calls I get regarding this because people think they have a problem with the alarm as it says call engineer.

• Advertisement

Not good advice for an installer to be giving and certinly not a good idea of the customer has home insurance stating alarm is up to EN50131. Insurance companies are very quick to use this as a get out in the event of a claim.
    Simply explain to the customer what the code means.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Not good advice for an installer to be giving and certinly not a good idea of the customer has home insurance stating alarm is up to EN50131. Insurance companies are very quick to use this as a get out in the event of a claim.
    Simply explain to the customer what the code means.

The customer should be made aware of the 77 call engineer if this is activated on there alarm system. If this is set up and not set for the 52 weeks then this could be a ploy for the company to get extra revenue as the customer again thinks there is a fault if this is not explained. If the customer has the alarm system installed to EN50131 then they should also be given customer information which should explain the situation regarding there EN50131 certification.

All the above have clearly not being explained to the OP and should of being by the installer of his alarm system.

altor wrote: »

All the above have clearly not being explained to the OP and should of being by the installer of his alarm system.

I agree entirely.
    I look at the service as protection to both the Installer & the End User.
    It equally proves an engineer has looked at the system as well as it has not been serviced. As you know people forget how long its been. Have you never got the calls saying you were only here a few months ago only to find its been over a year??
    However I disagree people are going to use this as a ploy . I get calls daily on this ( yes , after it has been explained previously what the message means) I explain what it is & the implications. Some ask for a service others ignore it & others ask for it to be turned off. I will not turn it off or reset the timer without servicing it unless its put in writing they are aware of the issues.
    Imagine this instance:
    A customer gets broken into & the insurance company refuses to pay out. (Any excuse in the current climate) No the customer has 2 cases, he can fight his insurance company or he can try sue the installation company for giving him bad advice and stopping the system reminding him of the service.
    Now you can argue some systems don't have this . But imagine a customer standing up in front of a judge saying my alarm company told me to turn this off its not needed. You have just given the insurance company a 2nd out!!

altor wrote: »
    KoolKid wrote: »
    I agree entirely.

I better not tell you who installed the system then :D

Advertisement