Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer offer from Vodafone

• 02-06-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭

Summer offer from Vodafone:

Top up by €20 every month and get free internet on your phone &
    either free Vodafone calls & texts OR free any network texts.

For FREE internet and Vodafone calls & texts, opt in by texting FREENET to 50222.

For FREE internet and any network texts, opt in by texting TEXTNET to 50222.

Then all you need to do is top up by €20 or more every 30 days to automatically receive your freebies.

A fair usage policy of 250MB per 30 day period applies for mobile internet usage, then standard rates apply.

The offer ends 1 September, but after this date, you can still get free internet on your phone with a €30 top up and free Vodafone calls and texts or free any network texts with a €20 top up.

https://www.vodafone.ie/offers/summer-top-up-offer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Please change the title, 250mb is not free internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

That's a scam tbh. You will easily go through the 250MB limit, and then get charged an absolute fortune if you don't buy internet addon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Only really a bargain if you choose free vodafone calls and texts option. Otherwise a €20 top-up with Three gets you 3,000 texts, 3,000 weekend call minutes, free voicemail, €10 free credit and you can get a 500MB data bundle for €5.

So to compare with vodafone, €20 gets you 3,000 any network texts, 3,000 any network weekend minutes, double the data vodafone offer and you'll have €25 credit to spend.

EDIT: The calls, texts and data are valid for 30 days after top-up on both Vodafone and Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

funnyname wrote: »
    Please change the title, 250mb is not free internet.

It certainly isn't, it's not "fair usage" either, do they think people are stupid?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Their daily internet addon is 50MB for 99c......So going by their tiny amounts of data (wouldn't be so bad if it was say 20 euro a month for 1GB of data...would work out better..but still...) that's only 5 days worth of data.

Such a scam. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Email tomorrow to advertising standard em thinks, Fing Joke to call 250mb > Unfair use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

I get 100mb a day for 39cent a day with Vodafone. You have to sign up to vodafone 360 and download the app to your phone.

I think its a very good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

srsly78 wrote: »
    That's a scam tbh. You will easily go through the 250MB limit, and then get charged an absolute fortune if you don't buy internet addon.

Download the Opera Mobile application and it will compress the data to such an extent that 250MB will last ages.

Similarly if you are on a Mobile Broadband data package download the Opera browser and enable Opera Turbo which compresses data so that you might only be charged for about 1/3rd of the data for each webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kensington wrote: »
    Only really a bargain if you choose free vodafone calls and texts option. Otherwise a €20 top-up with Three gets you 3,000 texts, 3,000 weekend call minutes, free voicemail, €10 free credit and you can get a 500MB data bundle for €5.

So to compare with vodafone, €20 gets you 3,000 any network texts, 3,000 any network weekend minutes, double the data vodafone offer and you'll have €25 credit to spend.

Do you lose these 3k txts and calls if unused after one month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

TheChevron wrote: »
    I get 100mb a day for 39cent a day with Vodafone. You have to sign up to vodafone 360 and download the app to your phone.

I think its a very good deal.

this offer is finished now if you are already have it, it will run till 1st of Sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Do you lose these 3k txts and calls if unused after one month?

Sorry, should have mentioned they expire after 30 days, it is a little unclear! The same applies to the Vodafone offer, free calls/texts/internet for 30 days after top-up with a fair usage policy also applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Their daily internet addon is 50MB for 99c......So going by their tiny amounts of data (wouldn't be so bad if it was say 20 euro a month for 1GB of data...would work out better..but still...) that's only 5 days worth of data.

Such a scam. :cool:
    That's twice that the word scam has been used on this thread. The terms are pretty-straightforward, whether or not it is actually good value is up for debate but it is not a scam.

250MB is fine for most people. I have a 250MB addon from Meteor and most months I use 20-50MB. If you have Wi-fi at home/work and you're not watching youtube videos on your phone very often, then you probably wont come close to 250MB under normal use (tethering is not normal use for most people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

daveyjoe wrote: »
    That's twice that the word scam has been used on this thread. The terms are pretty-straightforward, whether or not it is actually good value is up for debate but it is not a scam.

250MB is fine for most people. I have a 250MB addon from Meteor and most months I use 20-50MB. If you have Wi-fi at home/work and you're not watching youtube videos on your phone very often, then you probably wont come close to 250MB under normal use (tethering is not normal use for most people).

Respectfully, your usage is well below average. Anybody with a smartphone with regular updates will fly through 250mb in a week or two at most.
    I realised this when I ate through 30 quid of credit in a month once the 250mb was used.
    Vodafone now offer 1gig of data for 10euros which is a much better deal for most I'd imagine.

patch wrote: »
    Vodafone now offer 1gig of data for 10euros which is a much better deal for most I'd imagine.

There is no data addon package on Vodafone pre-pay I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

thanks op just saved me €10 on my top up cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

How long does 250 mb last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The term scam is inappropriate here. You are getting free internet that you would not otherwise get and the terms are pretty clear, it does not imply that it is unlimited. You can text Vodafone at any time and find how much you have left, so it is up to you how quickly you use it. This is phone internet, it is not modem use, and while some people will use this amount of data quickly others will not. I imagine it is not directed at heavy users, but rather to encourage light users to have a go at phone Internet. OK so it isn't enough for everyone, but that doesn't make it a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Runinlong

Thanks op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Bob Z wrote: »
    How long does 250 mb last?

How much do you download in a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

For those wondering about data usage, according to a study released 4 days ago by Nielsen...
    Analzying almost 65,000 cell phone bills in the U.S. during the first quarter of the year, Nielsen found that Android users on average gulped 582MB of data each month, compared with iPhone users, who grabbed 492MB of data.

nielsen-data-usage.png

So any notion that 250mb represents a good 'general fair use' limit, is plain wrong.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20067887-251.html#ixzz1OEud8mB3

• Registered Users Posts: 19 a_chara

I dunno the way I see it is that it's extra free on top of what I normally get?, seems pretty decent to be fair. Sure even if it only gives me 5 days worth it's 5 days for free which I'm not getting at the mo, can use the €20 credit to use up a few more days anyway if i go over it.

I think I'll just opt in and see how long the 250MB lasts. Not going to cost me anything really, I still have all my credit to do whatever I want with it :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Lads am i missing something here? On the offer page it says 20 quid for either free vodafone calls & texts and free internet, or free any network texts and free internet, but on the myvodafone page it's tellin me 30 quid for the same offers. Screenshots attached.

Has anyone else noticed this or am i missing somethin altogether?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=672&pictureid=9671

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=672&pictureid=9672

coyle wrote: »
    Lads am i missing something here? On the offer page it says 20 quid for either free vodafone calls & texts and free internet, or free any network texts and free internet, but on the myvodafone page it's tellin me 30 quid for the same offers. Screenshots attached.

Has anyone else noticed this or am i missing somethin altogether?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=672&pictureid=9671

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=672&pictureid=9672

Its €20/month top up until August 31st and €30/month from September 1st to receive the free calls/text/internet as the case may be. The top up has to be one top up of €20/€30 as the case may be per month and not piecemeal top ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ive been getting the above by topping up by 30 a month for ages. Is this the same offer except its now reduced to 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sound. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Only until September 1st when it goes back to €30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

I have been on the €30 offer for ages and i'd still have about 100mb left at the end of every month. I never watch Youtube on the phone but i use a few news apps, Facebook app, Twitter app and upload a few photos! 250mb is loads!

Advertisement