Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NEW 7 Wonders of the World

• 02-06-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I hope this isn't against the charter.......

Vote for the Cliffs New 7 Wonders of Nature

Voting just got easier text MOHER to 53131 to vote for the Cliffs. €0.30c per text.
    Text votes are unlimited

Vote online here or here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Unfortunately, when I think about the Cliffs of Moher these days all I can think about is all the tragedies and of course the over priced parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

While I agree the COM are a wonder to behold, I would NEVER support anything to do with them while there is a CC raping everything that should be the peoples.

I used to go at least 4 times a year there ( my Wife is from overseas, and everytime we had visitors we brought the visitors there). But at €6 a head????

Sorry, but I WON'T be spending a cent voting for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I didn't think the price was that bad to be honest
    You'd pay alot more at Bunratty or any of the shannon heritage sights
    TICKETS INCLUDE CLIFFS OF MOHER VISITOR EXPERIENCE ADMISSION WHICH INCLUDES ALL FACILITIES INCLUDING PARKING, TOILETS, OUTDOOR & INDOOR AREAS & ENTRY TO THE ATLANTIC EDGE EXHIBITION

Child (under 16)
    Standard Price €0.00 / Online €0.00

Adult
    Standard Price €6.00 / Online €5.40 - Save 10%

Senior/Student/Disabled
    Standard Price €4.00 / Online €3.60 - Save 10%

It is good to see they have started to reduce their prices. Alot of the tour buses were giving the COM a miss because of the parking charges.

I recently purchased an annual family pass (2 adults & up to four children) for all Shannon Heritage sites for €59, I thought it was fantastic value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,047 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

That heritage and visitors centre should be bulldozed OVER the cliffs,along with the rocket scientists who thought this up.:mad:
    Its outrageous to think you can charge people for a view!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Didn't 7Up run this publicity stunt last year as well? Maybe it was the year before...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Last year it was the Seven wonders of the world, this year its the Seven wonders of nature.

7up had a massive sponsership stunt in the Cliffs of Moher last year. I was online and was about to vote but it asked for a second choice and I didn't know what to put so I closed the window and continued with what I was doing :)

If they are charging that much for parking and then €0.30 should be €0.00.

I voted for that when I got the email yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Are any of these actually real lists or are they merely marketing ploys? There were never 'official' 7 wonders of the world, it was just a phrase coined years ago which stuck around. Who is in charge of creating the new list? Whose authority are they doing it on behalf of?

It just seems like a big marketing ploy. The fact they changed one word and are doing it again this year is just sad. Now you have to pay to vote for them, is anyone else bothered by this?

It's like they thought the 7UP ad campaign was so good last year they thought they would do it again and charge more this time.

That about sums up the mentality of those currently in charge of the Cliffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

as far as i know, the 7 wonders that 7up were involved in were for 7 natural wonders, this competition is stil on going and the cliffs got into the final 28. but they are way down the pecking order. official website below.

http://www.new7wonders.com/voting-trends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Slieve League is far better and free

http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?mtnindex=285

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

angelfire9 wrote: »

It's a really sad day when a place has to offer a loo as a part of a package of an entrance fee.

And to the OP: We used to drive there up to 4 times a year and pay €8 ( which was a contentious issue in itself) to park the car on an uneven potholed surface each visit, and now for 4 adults it's €24 each visit - it's a no-brainer TBH.

And You don't think that the price 'was that bad to be honest'??????? I can turn left in Kilkee ( coming from Ennis) and find a parking spot and look at cliffs every bit as beautiful as if I had turned right in Kilkee - only ONE BIG BIG difference: IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!

I will NEVER again support the COM ( sadly) as long as it's trying to screw every last cent out of the people that it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Why would they ever qualify for inclusion in any world list? They are tiny in comparison to loads of others. I suppose if the list was wonder of nature most expensive to view then it would deserve inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

As my OH says, it must cost a lot to repaint the cliffs every year !!! :D

But seriously, it's a disgrace and when we have visitors, I just don't go there.

Valerie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I like the bulldozing idea. The visitor/heritage centers are always going to run at a loss and I don't see what value they add to what's a naturally impressive spectacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I voted for Jedward instead. Voting for the wonders of the world - ****ing joke.
    Great to see such negativity here for the Cliffs of Moher. We used to go up there every summer at least twice for a ramble. I wouldn't even consider going there now, not to mind bringing a visitor with me. The funny thing is if I wasn't raped for the parking fee I would gladly go in and have a coffee and a bite to eat.
    Clare county council are a disgrace.

3000 posts! pity it was so negative...

They really keep making it worse with all the charges.

If they want to make a few bob in a way that everyone supports, they should stop charging at the cliffs for admission and have a bus that travels there a few times a day from Ennis and charge for that service. Tourists would happily pay a few bob for a trip up and back. Locals then could visit without issue. Everyone wins.

It's too bad they have decided to go about it in the way they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Bus Eireann run services each day to The Cliffs of Moher from Ennis. I always thought that visitors who arrived on foot, by bicycle or on public transport did not have to pay to view the cliffs.

Clareboy wrote: »
    Bus Eireann run services each day to The Cliffs of Moher from Ennis. I always thought that visitors who arrived on foot, by bicycle or on public transport did not have to pay to view the cliffs.
    That may be the case but most people who will visit the COM will arrive by car or private tour bus. Lots of tour bus operators stopped visiting the cliffs because of the parking charges.

I think that some of our attractions in Clare are overpriced. I recently visited the Ailwee Caves and the birds of prey centre with my family, it was enjoyable but I feel that it is very pricey at €17 (adult) and €10 (child).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

As much as i love the COM, could they really be classed as a wonder of the world??

I mean they're just high cliffs at the end of the day, one of many throughout the world, you could argue that the white cliffs of Dover are more wonderous (blasphemy i know)

fryup wrote: »
    As much as i love the COM, could they really be classed as a wonder of the world??

I mean they're just high cliffs at the end of the day, one of many throughout the world, you could argue that the white cliffs of Dover are more wonderous (blasphemy i know)

The Grand Canyon is just a big hold and the Atlantic Ocean is just a big pond. What exactly do you think the other wonders are sure? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What bugs me is that everything's behind fences now, there's feck all walkways, they just want to herd you through their visitor center, restaurant, souvenir shop, pay your entry fee, spend loads of money and kindly fcuk back off to where you came from.
    Anywhere else in the world there would be walkways that connect (let's just say) Lahinch to Liscannor, the Cliffs, Doolin, etc...
    And I'm not talking about having to walk along main roads, as is popular here, dodging cars, trucks, busses and bikes, no, proper, dedicated, walk and cycleways.
    Just look at the Ennis to Lahinch road, you'd want to be suicidal to cycle or walk that.
    Most countries have the main road and beside it, completely seperate, a dedicated path for walkers and cyclists.
    But that would require joined-up thinking, i.e. bringing in as many tourists through Shannon as possible, pointing them directly to Clare and have a strategy for hiking and cycling through the nature of Clare.
    But since you can't charge people for that, Clare Co Co surely don't want to know.
    To them tourism is people flying in from the US and the UK, staying in Dromoland and playing Golf, they can't see further than that.
    So of course the Cliffs are a mess, thanfully I know loads and loads of places that are a million times better and, thanks to the complete absence of advertising or strategy regards tourism and Shannon, fairly free of tourists as well.

What bugs me is that everything's behind fences now, there's feck all walkways, they just want to herd you through their visitor center, restaurant, souvenir shop, pay your entry fee, spend loads of money and kindly fcuk back off to where you came from.
    Anywhere else in the world there would be walkways that connect (let's just say) Lahinch to Liscannor, the Cliffs, Doolin, etc...
    And I'm not talking about having to walk along main roads, as is popular here, dodging cars, trucks, busses and bikes, no, proper, dedicated, walk and cycleways.
    Just look at the Ennis to Lahinch road, you'd want to be suicidal to cycle or walk that.
    Most countries have the main road and beside it, completely seperate, a dedicated path for walkers and cyclists.
    But that would require joined-up thinking, i.e. bringing in as many tourists through Shannon as possible, pointing them directly to Clare and have a strategy for hiking and cycling through the nature of Clare.
    But since you can't charge people for that, Clare Co Co surely don't want to know.
    To them tourism is people flying in from the US and the UK, staying in Dromoland and playing Golf, they can't see further than that.
    So of course the Cliffs are a mess, thanfully I know loads and loads of places that are a million times better and, thanks to the complete absence of advertising or strategy regards tourism and Shannon, fairly free of tourists as well.

I agree, access to the countryside for walkers is a big problem in this country. There used to be a spectacular walk from Hag's Head to the Cliffs of Moher, but this is no longer open, thanks to the local farmers. In the UK, a country with a population of over 60 million, there are public footpaths through private property all over the place. Yes, I agree that the tourism industry in Ireland is still mostly geared to the big spending American market and ' the cash cows ' of golf courses and 5 star hotels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I agree, access to the countryside for walkers is a big problem in this country. There used to be a spectacular walk from Hag's Head to the Cliffs of Moher, but this is no longer open, thanks to the local farmers. In the UK, a country with a population of over 60 million, there are public footpaths through private property all over the place. Yes, I agree that the tourism industry in Ireland is still mostly geared to the big spending American market and ' the cash cows ' of golf courses and 5 star hotels.

I've heard all the arguments by farmers.
    1: "I wouldn't walk through your backyard"
    Yes, neither would I, but how about granting people access to that 40 acres of wilderness in the middle of nowhere you own?
    2: "People will fall and sue"
    If that isn't the lousiest, sh*ttiest, lamest, laziest, hackneyed excuse I have ever heard in my entire life, it translates into "Fcuk you, I wouldn't give you the steam of my piss, why should I, what's in for me, gimme money!"
    3: "what if everyone did this? It would be anarchy!"
    No, it would merely the same situation as it is everywhere else on the planet.

And so on.
    But it would be wrong to blame farmers alone.
    As you said, tourism here is not about natural beauty, except on the surface to hoik people in, after that it's "never mind all that nature, go golfing, go to the pub, go to the spa, go shopping!"
    There is cycling and hiking, despite an indifferent and sometime downright hostile attitude, no facilities, this could be cultural, the idea that someone would walk anywhere for fun is still a new concept here.
    My dad was over here from Germany and we set out for a walk in my area.
    He took his wallet, so that when we came across a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere he would pay for us all.
    Having lived here that idea was laughable, but to him, as a German, it is the most natural thing to expect restaurants all over the forests due to the large volume of people walking everywhere.
    I dare someone to walk from Ennis to Lahinch, to the Cliffs, Doolin andback to Ennis.
    Wouldn't be doable.

I've heard all the arguments by farmers.
    1: "I wouldn't walk through your backyard"
    Yes, neither would I, but how about granting people access to that 40 acres of wilderness in the middle of nowhere you own?
    2: "People will fall and sue"
    If that isn't the lousiest, sh*ttiest, lamest, laziest, hackneyed excuse I have ever heard in my entire life, it translates into "Fcuk you, I wouldn't give you the steam of my piss, why should I, what's in for me, gimme money!"
    3: "what if everyone did this? It would be anarchy!"
    No, it would merely the same situation as it is everywhere else on the planet.

And so on.
    But it would be wrong to blame farmers alone.
    As you said, tourism here is not about natural beauty, except on the surface to hoik people in, after that it's "never mind all that nature, go golfing, go to the pub, go to the spa, go shopping!"
    There is cycling and hiking, despite an indifferent and sometime downright hostile attitude, no facilities, this could be cultural, the idea that someone would walk anywhere for fun is still a new concept here.
    My dad was over here from Germany and we set out for a walk in my area.
    He took his wallet, so that when we came across a small restaurant in the middle of nowhere he would pay for us all.
    Having lived here that idea was laughable, but to him, as a German, it is the most natural thing to expect restaurants all over the forests due to the large volume of people walking everywhere.
    I dare someone to walk from Ennis to Lahinch, to the Cliffs, Doolin andback to Ennis.
    Wouldn't be doable.

I totally agree. Often when out cycling myself, local people around Clare have asked me if I was Dutch, German or Italian! The idea that someone would actually enjoy cycling or walking through the countryside is totally alien to most Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Voting just got easier text MOHER to 53131 to vote for the Cliffs. €0.30c per text.
    Text votes are unlimited

Vote online here or here

Is this codswallop still going on? 30 cents? Some kids for making a money racket out of nothing I'll give 'em that, nearly as good as that Movember crowd....To be honest, the wonders of the world should remain as they were from antiquity, nothing worse than a bunch of "quirky" 30 somethings with a suit and a job trying to do gimmicky stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Text votes are unlimited

Vote online here or here

it is a wonder of the world, but also a place where you wonder how they get away with charging what they do. Unfortunately the tourists are being exploited by however owns the centre and car park. Its 90 euro to park a bus there and most buses only spend an hour there. Its hardly value for money.

what are they getting-toilets and a few pictures with captions just in English(ah sure, the whole world speaks English and if they don't thats too bad)

I totally agree. Often when out cycling myself, local people around Clare have asked me if I was Dutch, German or Italian! The idea that someone would actually enjoy cycling or walking through the countryside is totally alien to most Irish people.

I never thought that would still be the case. I guess we do not really do cycling trips

I presume you can see the cliffs free of charge if you go in the evening

COM has apparently different car and bus parks. at one bus park you pay 2 euro per person, which is not a lot, but if you have fifty tourists on the bus it adds up. That is the no frills option.
    Clare County council or whoever is running the show seems to thing the best way to attract tourists is rip them off.

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    That may be the case but most people who will visit the COM will arrive by car or private tour bus. Lots of tour bus operators stopped visiting the cliffs because of the parking charges.

I think that some of our attractions in Clare are overpriced. I recently visited the Ailwee Caves and the birds of prey centre with my family, it was enjoyable but I feel that it is very pricey at €17 (adult) and €10 (child).

Ailwee Caves do charge that much for half an hour tour and the guides expect a tip at the end, which is why they are a place where people used to go rather than go. Doolin caves could be cheaper.

how can they justify charging more than five euro entrance fee? is not as if they have to heat the cave.

Bunratty is overpriced, but while the castle is well worth the visit the village museum is not. they have not invested a single cent in the place since the seventies. its falling apart. compare it to the Ulster American folkpark.

Advertisement