Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard floors detrimental to babies knees?

• 02-06-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Almost all the floors in our house are wooden or tiles. The young lad is almost 14 months and crawls around at rocket speed! We can hear the thud thud of his knees and recently I noticed that they seemed to be lightly bruised all over.

Could this be bad for him in the long term or does it really matter as he will probably be walking soon?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We flew around on lino and never did us any harm (now where's that walking stick):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's fine, they're going to be bruised one way or the other from climbing/falling over etc so I wouldn't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We built our house around us & our first kid was crawling on bare concrete for months. Not ideal, obviously, but did her no harm. We managed to get flooring down before #2 came around, but even that was hardwood or tiles. No harm done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't worry, you will notice your own knees will be black and blue from crawling after them though!!!
    We only have hard floors too,I put the baby down on mats and blankets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

A baby is not as heavy as an adult or as tall.. so when they fall over its in proportion to their weight and height. .. they don't have as far to fall ;) I find my lads legs get bruised more from falling onto his toys or when he's backing out the front doorstep. . :D
    You'll find too that if he's only just starting to walk he'll have a little padding on his legs that will drop off when he gets speed. There's days i'd love to put elbow knee and body pads on my lad, and a helmet. . my other 2 have survived so i'm assuming he'll be grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

AFAIK babies kneecaps only start to ossify at 3yrs ish. before that they are made of cartilage and as such are designed for crawling, so I wouldnt worry at all.;)

Advertisement