Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Geography HL

• 02-06-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

The regions I'm studying are:
    Irish: West of Ireland/Dublin
    European: Paris Basin/Mezzogiorno
    Continental: SW USA

My question is do you think I would be safe enough just to learn three regions? (ie. West of Ireland, Paris Basin & SW USA)

Do they ever ask on specific regions or do you think I could chance it? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Sub-continent: (India)
    • Primary
    • Secondary
    • Culture

Irish:
    • Teriary
    • Secondary

Paris Basin
    • Tertiary probably tourism
    • Primary activities

Mezz:
    • Tourism
    • Just a general answer on population distribution and contributing factors

Belgium:
    • Culture

EU and Ireland

That's what I focused on last year and managed an A. Just pay attention to the end of the question as it will specify non Irish or not. Try to find a layout that will suit you and one that you will stick to. That will be your skeleton answer and then it's just really a fill in the gaps situation. Paris and Dublin had very much the same answer for me and this really cut down the workload knowing this, all that was different was a few statistics and SRPs. Try to find ways to cut down your revision at this point. You'll also be very surprised at how much you'll be able to recall in the exam when you're under pressure! With geography I found that if I tried to cram the entire textbook I'd just lose hope so I would focus on the most important areas and do those well and after that go back and do the lesser ones. It's a question of quality over quantity at this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Three regions should be enough, they'll only ever specify Irish, European or Continental/Subcontinental.
    For each of these (Dublin, Paris, India), I'm learning primary, seconday, tertiary. Also learning about the growth of Paris and culture in India.

As well as those, learn about Belgium or the Gaeltacht, and EU expansion.

In addition to the above, transport is very handy for the Paris Basin, loads going on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

Thanks, think that's what I'll do!
    Planning on learning primary, secondary and tertiary in West of Ireland, PB and SW USA, culture in SW USA, the Gaeltacht & Ireland and the EU.
    Hopefully that'll cover me!

Victoria. wrote:
    You'll also be very surprised at how much you'll be able to recall in the exam when you're under pressure!

I hope so because I'm really not looking forward to geography!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Do they ever ask you to describe physical characteristics of one of the regions? I have answers written out for all of the regions on physical characteristics but if I could completely leave it out of my study it would be a good load off my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

you get asked to describe 2 factors affecting the development of a town i.e. paris basin, or something along those lines? also you need the physical factors to describe how/why primary activities have developed, i dont think they're too bad to learn anyways? precep levels, sunshine/day, general idea of relief, quick overview of soil..etc etc.. handy srps in a good few answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

Oh yeah, that too, I think usually they ask for factors that influence primary/secondary/tertiary activities and that's where you can bring in the physical factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

A word of warning....
    Though it hasn't really been done with this curriculum yet, in theory you could be asked to compare and contrast some aspect within two regions you have studied (e.g. compare primary activities in two Irish regions or two European regions you have studied)

Might come up, more than likely won't but.... just be careful

Advertisement