Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents want to get a rescue dog but keep it outside...advice needed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

Hi I wouldnt worry about a dog being ok outside we currently have 4 collies aged 13, 9, 3 and 10months (yes its a mad house!!) and they are all v.happy to live outside and dont look to be showing any ill effects we also had an old style large collie who died 2 years ago at the tender age of 19 having also lived outdoors very healthily and happily all his life. Ours do wonder in around the hall and kitchen when the back door is open in the summer but they are definitely outdoors dogs and are suited to being that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

I havent read all the replies but your parents sound like caring dog owners - in fairness they could do A LOT worse than letting the dogs sleep outside - our bed is for me and my hubbie only ;) - we wouldnt get a wink of sleep if they slept in the bed with us, they are big dogs and prefer to be outside except when it snowed last xmas they slept in the sitting room!

As already mentioned there are lots of dogs in pounds and shelters that are just used to being outside and I cant see any shelter having much of a problem with that set-up - majority of dogs in shelters are stressed what with lots of other dogs around them, barking etc.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

In my opinion, your personality should decide how you treat your dogs. If you are naturally assertive with them in every day life then having them sleep on your bed with you is not a big deal. If you are someone who fusses over them and treats them like children instead of dogs then having them sleep on the bed with you is a big mistake.

As to the ops position. There is no problem having a dog outside, no matter what the breed. Once they have somewhere warm and sheltered with access to water. Many dogs are happier outside. Your parents seem to be good owners so if I were you I wouldn't try interfere with their ways because it works for them. If you try and impose your own ownership techniques on them then it might lead to an unhappy "pack" because they won't be genuine in their implementation.

Incidentally, I don't get this "my dogs don't get on" stuff. Dogs can't have vendettas. With a little work any dogs can be made get along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

once the outdoor area in which the dogs sleep is warm, insulated and cosy for the dogs, then I don't see any issue with having the dogs outside. I have four dogs, all house dogs, our German Shepherd x sleeps on the floor in our bedroom and the other three sleep in the sitting room - this set up suits everyone and we have four very well balanced, happy dogs. As other people have said - it is better to give a dog a loving home, regardless of whether it sleeps indoors or outdoors - the dogs in the pound would give anything for TLC, attention and a bed in or out, rather than face euthanasia. Your parents sound like they know their stuff and its very easy for dog lovers to want the same treatment we give our pets for all pets, (sleeping in beds with us etc) but in reality, this is not always an option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Well, my parents have acquired a new rescue dog that doesn't fit any of their original criteria...they are now the proud carers of a very large, couch-surfing, male greyhound :D
    In the time since the collie-lab died they realised that the outdoor collie was quite happy, and that neither dog (they have an indoor living terrier) would be comfortable with a hyperactive young dog bothering them...my two terrorists are a bit much for the old boys and are kept away from them when we visit.
    This new boy has such a calm personality though that he fitted right in to the home. He is a wonderful companion for my mum around the house, and is very well mannered and gentle on the lead. Obviously, he is full time house living, and even has a sofa all to himself.
    Funny the way things turn out sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That's excellent Mosi, well done to your parents!

Greyhounds make the most fantastic house pets, it's a pity more people aren't as open as your parents to giving them a forever couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Beware Mosi - Greyhounds get under your skin :D

I would never of fancied or thought of a Greyhound in the past & mine arrived by pure accident. She is a fabulous dog & my only regret is not getting one earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah that's lovely news mosi, good on them for rescuing a greyhound, they seem like fabulous dogs, very underrated as pets I think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

mosi wrote: »
    I've just found out that my parent's 13 year old collie/lab passed on about two weeks ago (they didn't tell me as they didn't want to upset me at exam time). She lived as an outdoor dog with their other collie, where they slept in a kennel in a large stone shed with a radio playing. The remaining collie won't be brought to live indoors for two main reasons. He frets a lot when he's inside for an extended period. He also doesn't get on with their JRT who lives indoors. BTW, he gets a long walk in the woods twice a day and has access to a large secure yard.
    They want to get another dog as they feel that he is lonely without his friend. They have no intention of buying a dog, and would like to get a medium to large dog aged between 4 and 6, female, from either a rescue or a pound. My dad is almost 70 but he is very active (the walks are up steep hills and he jogs as well).

However, they are talking about this dog sleeping outside as well as they don't think it would be fair to bring one dog in and leave the other out.
    I can see the logic with this but am just not comfortable with dogs been left to sleep outside...my two are in the bed with me every night. I tried telling them that rescues generally won't home a dog to sleep outside unless it is one that seems to prefer that...and I imagine that such dogs are few and far between anyway. They didn't seem fazed though.
    I don't know what the best thing to do is here...I'm trying to find some kind of compromise. What is more unfair - to leave one dog outdoors at night and bring the other in, or to bring home a rescue and have it sleeping in the shed when it could have a lovely bed somewhere?
    Should I try to convince them to let the newbie sleep inside or should they hold out to find a dog that is deemed suited to be out.

Advice needed as they want me to help them find a suitable dog. Again, I am all for dogs living indoors so am feeling a bit uncomfortable about all this.

Of course they may get back to me in a couple of days having changed their minds about the outdoor thing...they tend to do that type of thing when they sit down and process what they've been told!

From what you are saying its ok to have a dog to live outside.Growing up all bigger dogs kept outside at night in a shed.Ofc in very bad weather such as we had last year they got in.
    If the dog is introduced to being outside dog then no harm.
    As you said they are good dog owners and also the dog will not be alone.
    If how ever they go for an older dog might be a problem and already be and inside dog.So i would advise for them to go to rescue center tell their situation and their hopes for their new member and they will help them and find the dog suited to them best.
    So long as they are warm cared for and fed then there shouldnt be an issue with a dog sleeping outside.
    P.S sorry for the loss of your old collie.

Just found out you got one lol congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jets799

I think it's nice to let them have some time in the home. Makes them feel more part of the family

• Advertisement
Advertisement