Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engine help needed

Options
  • 02-06-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a problem with my lawn mower engine, not sure where to post this so please move it if its wrong.

its a briggs and stratton 12.5hp so far this year its been really hard to start and today it just wouldn't,

I pulled off the air filter and it was spitting out oil through the breather,

I drained the oil and it was full of petrol.

I put new oil into it and it started but after a few minutes it got really smokey and I turned it off, I was talking to someone who repairs mowers and he said it is the rings,

anyone else got any ideas or a source of replacment engines.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

I would doubt it's the rings to be honest. Briggs engines can take dogs abuse and run for ever. If the oil was full of petrol the problem's probably in the carb. To stop this happening either turn the petrol tap off when not using the mower or clean out the carb, maybe a bit of grit stuck in the float valve. Or check the breather hole in the fuel cap.
    Get it started again and let it run for 10 minutes to clear itself. It'll billow out smoke cause it was overfull with oil/petrol but it should clear. Might be worth sticking on a new air filter too.
    Did you have the mower turned on it's side by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

fj1200 wrote: »
    I would doubt it's the rings to be honest. Briggs engines can take dogs abuse and run for ever. If the oil was full of petrol the problem's probably in the carb. To stop this happening either turn the petrol tap off when not using the mower or clean out the carb, maybe a bit of grit stuck in the float valve. Or check the breather hole in the fuel cap.
    Get it started again and let it run for 10 minutes to clear itself. It'll billow out smoke cause it was overfull with oil/petrol but it should clear. Might be worth sticking on a new air filter too.
    Did you have the mower turned on it's side by any chance?

good advice above. They are tough engines. It sounds like petrol could have drained into the sump. Give it a run and it should clear! Hopefully you wont need to buy a new engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

22-12304.jpg

Clean this bowl, you will need a spanner, 10mm i think, 10-13 mm anyway,
    Clean bowl wipe out all the dirt in it, refit, No need to fill with petrol when refitting, try start,, Boo yaw now it runs fine !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is one of the valves stuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Thanks for the replys it started first time and ran like a champ today. I guess it's a problem with the carb letting petrol into the sump.

I will keep turning off the petrol and keep an eye on it.

Anyone have any idea why it's not charging what can I check ???

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

eiei0 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys it started first time and ran like a champ today. I guess it's a problem with the carb letting petrol into the sump.

I will keep turning off the petrol and keep an eye on it.

Anyone have any idea why it's not charging what can I check ???

Thanks

could be a regulator, it controls the charge level to the battery. Or could be a shagged battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi

its not the battery as if I measure across it while running its not showing anymore that when engine is off.

Battery was only bought at the end of last year so should be ok.

There is a diode in the system somewhere that give trouble so I will try to find it and test it.

Thanks

Advertisement