Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra large patio door

Options
  • 02-06-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum.

Im in Dublin and im looking to get a rough idea of a few things done to a standard enough 3 bed house ill be renovating.

Im not sure of the name of it, but im looking to get an extra large patio/sliding door at the rear measuring about 8-8.5ft in height and 8ft wide altogether. So the sliding part would be 8-8.5ft by 4ft roughly. This would be placed on a small extension and so would probably not need steel girder supports. Iv seen them around but they are few and far between. If anyone has the name of what they are called then please do tell!! And aprox the cost aswell.

One of them iv seen was shattered. Would this be something common with large pains of glass like that? - like a strong wind or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

coolemon wrote: »
    Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum.

Im in Dublin and im looking to get a rough idea of a few things done to a standard enough 3 bed house ill be renovating.

Im not sure of the name of it, but im looking to get an extra large patio/sliding door at the rear measuring about 8-8.5ft in height and 8ft wide altogether. So the sliding part would be 8-8.5ft by 4ft roughly. This would be placed on a small extension and so would probably not need steel girder supports. Iv seen them around but they are few and far between. If anyone has the name of what they are called then please do tell!! And aprox the cost aswell.

One of them iv seen was shattered. Would this be something common with large pains of glass like that? - like a strong wind or something?

Can you clarify, is this part of an extention to be built or an existing opening.........If its new you will need advice as to the girder issue.........consult an engineer/architect......if its an existing opening I assume there is support over the opening as it stands.......

With regard to the size, standard heights for PVC is 2100mm 6.9' over that its outside the spec. so you are looking at Aluminium. No great problems in sourcing Alum Sliders..........Regarding the glass you should specify Toughened glass as it will shatter if impacted hard......but break into small pieces ( side window of your car ) and no one should be hurt, go with Laminate, ( windscreen ) and a child running at the door, in error will bounce off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

martinn123 wrote: »

With regard to the size, standard heights for PVC is 2100mm 6.9' over that its outside the spec. so you are looking at Aluminium. No great problems in sourcing Alum Sliders..........Regarding the glass you should specify Toughened glass as it will shatter if impacted hard......but break into small pieces ( side window of your car ) and no one should be hurt, go with Laminate, ( windscreen ) and a child running at the door, in error will bounce off it.

Regarding the height of a PVC sliding patio door, there is no reason why a frame couldn't be made to suit your opening. Perhaps a fixed pane over the door might be a possibility.So basically what you would have is a piece of glass the entire width on top of what you would consider a traditional slider. Just ensure the frame has suitable steel reinforcing and is made by a reputable manufacturer and you should be fine.
    Would def seek advice on structural support for wall (Steel / concrete lintels)

As for the cost, it's awhile since i worked with them, but i'd estimate you're easily looking at 1100-1300euro.
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Also - i would recommend toughened over laminated for a door that size.
    Toughened glass - 4mm thick
    Laminated glass - 6.4mm thick,
    So to use laminated glass over toughened would increase weight of door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Thanks for the replies. Re Martin, yes the door would be placed in an extension. We got a quote from Munster Joinery for 7 windows, a porch door and the 8*8 patio door for about 4,800 without fitting. I guess toughened glass should be specified aswell so thanks for the advice guys. MJ recommended aluminium for the sliding door.

Advertisement