Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake tins- which type to buy?

• 02-06-2011 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I would like to invest in a few good quality cake tins as I am hoping to eventually make cakes professionally, and don't mind spending a bit of money on them now if they're something I'll always have. They would primarily be used for making sponges and chocolate biscuit cakes.
    Would I be better off choosing loose-based ones eg. like the anodised alloy Silverwood tins? (Someone once told me that loose-based & spring-form are best for sponges?)
    http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=365&parent=6

Or should I go for those "heavy duty" style ones?
    http://www.squires-shop.com/ibf/index.php?p=product&id=313&parent=6

Does the type of tin affect how the sponge turns out? And would I need to buy different types of tins for sponges versus biscuit cakes or does it matter?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've a few some from supermarket and then in another section in Tesco they have more heavy duty and very reasonable price wise. They are heavy, non stick and they have various sizes, can't think of the specific name. Also bought some in Homevalue hardware again I can't think of the name, they usually have words like 'professional quality' or something to that effect.

But a bog standard non stick tin 9 inches is what I use the most it's springform.

Once you've decided on a brand then I'd go with what is most commonly used in recipes I find two 9 inch round springform non-stick cake tins is one I use the most. But also 2 8 inch round springform non-stick sandwich tins are handy too although my 8 inch ones are not exactly the same size and just loose bottomed which is a bit of a nuisance.

Biscuit cake depends on the size some use a loaf tin, loaf tins are very handy to have for banana cakes, biscuit cakes etc.

Have a good look at your favourite recipes and ones you'd like to try out and write down what tins are needed for them, there's nothing worse than getting ready for baking and then realising you haven't the right tin...ruins my day anyway lol.

A square spring form tin is handy too Lidl were selling them over Xmas they were ok.

A bun tin is handy to have and baking trays..can never have too many baking trays and parchment paper.

Some foil roasting/baking tins are handy to have as well I use them for brownies etc. you can get them in the 2 euro shop. Want to invest in a posh one eventually with a pull out tray to avoid the waste.

I find when making sponges the spring form tins are easiest the loose bottom ones can if not careful, crack it..I'm pretty clumsy in the kitchen so the spring form are a godsend. I've seen some of the silvery coloured tins but I find the black tins cook more evenly but there's a new version out now but have't tried them yet.

I guess tins also depend on your cooker and the cook some people seem to be able to make masterpieces out of any thing but I need fool proof ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clairebear!

Wow thanks a million for all the info! Springform sounds like the way to go! Likewise, i need all the help I can get... have butter fingers literally! :D

Advertisement