Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative wrecking my head!

• 02-06-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Ok - how much detail is needed for the cultural context?

Please Help! Ive just wasted an afternoon going through notes and have only a paragraph

:( Freaking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Not really sure what you mean by "detail". You just need to make sure you keep comparing and contrasting and don't get caught up in one text. For example, you could pick "gender roles" for a paragraph and compare/contrast them in the texts. For the next paragraph you could do "social status/class" or something and compare/contrast that aspect and it's varying influence in your different texts and so on and so forth with different aspects you could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Detail as in quotes etc?

How many headings do I have to have?

Im doing the Tempest by WS, Emma by Jane Austen and As you like it by Kenneth Brannagh

Under headings : Social class, Women?

Also, where do I give summaries of the cultural background ? In the introduction?

Anyone doing those texts?

If I cant structure this essay by late tonight....... Dead.com

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Detail as in quotes etc?
    Uhm, don't really worry about quotes tbh. I don't think I'll be including any unless I can (I won't be going out of the way to include them). Our teacher said they're not necessary. Anyone else doing the same? :confused:
    How many headings do I have to have?
    As many as you want really, as long as you get adequate lenght. There's so many you could do there should be no need to waffle. Some obviously will be longer than others (economic climate in the novels would be shorter than say, gender roles. Or at least in the texts I'm doing).
    Im doing the Tempest by WS, Emma by Jane Austen and As you like it by Kenneth Brannagh

Under headings : Social class, Women?
    I haven't done them texts. Social class and role of women sound good, and why not do role of men too? Is there a patriarchal society (male-dominated) in the novels or is there equal rights in another? Does it have a big effect on the plot/characterisation?
    Also, where do I give summaries of the cultural background ? In the introduction?
    Not sure what you mean. In cultural context, you're pretty much talking about the cultural backround (i.e. context) and how it effects the characters/plot in the different texts and comparing that effect.
    If I cant structure this essay by late tonight....... Dead.com
    Don't give yourself unrealistic deadlines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

jumpguy wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. In cultural context, you're pretty much talking about the cultural backround (i.e. context)

As in, "The novel Emma is set in England around the 1800s, dominated by social status and marriage....."

But do I include parties? (Various parties in Emma)

Also, do I have to talk about how they dress etc

I have notes on Japanese theatre and Zumo matches for As you like it but Im not sure where I should use it?
    Like, should there be a heading for hobbies?
    Don't give yourself unrealistic deadlines
    Ive tons of History and Biology to cover too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Uhm, don't really worry about quotes tbh. I don't think I'll be including any unless I can (I won't be going out of the way to include them). Our teacher said they're not necessary. Anyone else doing the same? :confused:

You don't need quotes, just reference to the texts, i.e. 'When Character X tells Character B this, it is clear..' or something to that effect :)

• Advertisement

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    As in, "The novel Emma is set in England around the 1800s, dominated by social status and marriage....."

But do I include parties? (Various parties in Emma)

Also, do I have to talk about how they dress etc

I have notes on Japanese theatre and Zumo matches for As you like it but Im not sure where I should use it?
    Like, should there be a heading for hobbies?

Ive tons of History and Biology to cover too :rolleyes:
    Biology isn't until Thursday week though. :P

Anyway, don't include anything that's not relevant. Get to your point, anything besides your point will be considered waffle (no detours, no matter how scenic). Is parties are not relevant (I cannot judge if they are or not, as I've not studied that text) to the point you're making then don't include them.

Same goes for how they dress and stuff. If it's nothing to do with the point you're making, there's no point mentioning it. Don't write a big long introductory paragraph to your novels at the beginning of your essay, giving a jist of everything - get to the point and work your way through everything methodically. If you mention a little bit of everything at the start you risk repetition later on and it looks messy and takes away from your stucture.

Really, judge if Japanese theatre is relevant by how much you can write on it. Does it affect the characters and plot a lot in the novel? And most importantly, what can you compare it with in the other novels?

Advertisement