Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths! HL!!

• 02-06-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey everyone just a question about the option question. Is everyone doing question 8? Further calculas like. I like probability / stats and was thinking about doing the option on that, Q.9. Theres generally only one differrent part so sounds like a good idea to me. What ye thing?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

That depends, which you might be able to do some of the probability/stats option from what's covered in the core syllabus, but you won't be able to do all of it unless you know the extra stuff you need to know. :-/

It's really a bit too late in the day now to start learning a new option, especially if you don't have the material to learn it. If you're gonna do it, I'd make sure you know further calculus and series just in case you can't do the probability/stats, but that's a good bit of extra work that won't get you extra marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Ya like iv had a scan over the Q9 material.! Its all grand apart for "level of significance". I have all the material got it off my teacher and done some bit of it but just wondering if anyone has like I dunno views on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

My teacher has taught me Q9 and it is ridiculously easy for the most part. There are only a few different questions in it, which the formulae are given for. The level of significance question is a little tricky, but you just have to keep the bell curve in mind, recall a few numbers that you need to work out the answer with, and be able to identify the different elements in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    Ya like iv had a scan over the Q9 material.! Its all grand apart for "level of significance". I have all the material got it off my teacher and done some bit of it but just wondering if anyone has like I dunno views on it!

We do prob option in my school. Yes I do have to say it is pretty easy I think. But to be honest, you do not have enough time to learn all the material well before. You're much better off going over the question and practice that question than learning a new q an having to practice it...
    And yeah you're wrong in saying usually only one part is different/new from normal prob/stats. Most of the time b and c are different and sometimes a is too. Sorry man I think probably just too late at this time.. Unless you have no other subjects and don't need to study any of the rest of the maths course for the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

just wondering what theorems you need for the paper 1 , dont wanna miss any . i have learnt these already :

factor theorem
    de moivres theorem
    differential rule
    product rule
    chain rule
    quotient rule
    volumes of a cone/sphere (integration)

am i missing any ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

Hi, I've got just one quick question... If you for example try to resolve equation in 2 different ways and you are not sure which one is correct, can you leave them both and they will pick up the correct one themselves or do you have to cross out one of them? I'm an external student and was just wondering about it now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Hi, I've got just one quick question... If you for example try to resolve equation in 2 different ways and you are not sure which one is correct, can you leave them both and they will pick up the correct one themselves or do you have to cross out one of them? I'm an external student and was just wondering about it now :rolleyes:

Was thinking that last night but as far as I know you get marked for everything your put down as long as it's not crossed out! (Obviously if you do a question twice you will only get the higher marks!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

Was thinking that last night but as far as I know you get marked for everything your put down as long as it's not crossed out! (Obviously if you do a question twice you will only get the higher marks!)

Yes - exactly what I was thinking, but what if one of the answers is wrong and the other is correct? Will they mark only the correct and leave the wrong one?

Yes - exactly what I was thinking, but what if one of the answers is wrong and the other is correct? Will they mark only the correct and leave the wrong one?

I'm 80% sure you would. Maths and Applied Maths (possibly Physics) are the only subjects I know of where that would be allowed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Pro tip: Half scribble out the one you think is wrong, that way, if it's right, they might think it's not a real scribble, but if it's wrong, and they see the half scribble and the right one in front of the, they'll probably give you the marks. it's a subtle technique, to be used both appropriately, and sparingly. :D

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Pro tip: Half scribble out the one you think is wrong, that way, if it's right, they might think it's not a real scribble, but if it's wrong, and they see the half scribble and the right one in front of the, they'll probably give you the marks. it's a subtle technique, to be used both appropriately, and sparingly. :D

It's not subtle, it's stupid!

DO NOT SCRIBBLE OUT ANYTHING IN MATHS. AT ALL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

The simple algebraic equations that often come up in question 5 as a part A that often feature square roots always give two answers. You have to test the answers and the one that holds true is the right one. If you put them both down, you lose marks.

Or are you talking about something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It's not subtle, it's stupid!

DO NOT SCRIBBLE OUT ANYTHING IN MATHS. AT ALL!

I don't actually do it in Maths, but in English and Irish for potential spelling mistakes. It is subtle. :D

Advertisement