Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

• 02-06-2011 9:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

(did a search here and saw no thread, so hey: thought I'd start one myself).

After the abominable third Aliens vs. Predator game, and two Aliens games getting canned, I wasn't honestly expecting Gearbox's rumoured effort to see the light of day. But it's coming and we've got a first trailer. No gameplay, but great to see that this is actually happening

This is probably one of the few instances where the generic-space-marine trope has me excited. As bad as the new AvP was, the marines section showed the most potential & was the most enjoyable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Why does that motion-tracker sound get me so excited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Oh my god oh my god oh my god *Waves hands like a little girl

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you browse to the link below, enter your age, and login with the hostname Father, you'll get a slightly longer trailer, with some gameplay footage at the end. Looks pretty damn amazing, and i love the motion detector sound. Definitely one of the creepiest sounds in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That looks pretty cool. Guess I'm going to have to invest in a lot of clean underwear. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Awesome, pleeeeease be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

PC-DVD ROM - Always feel nice and reassured when I see that logo at the end of a trailer!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just bumping this thread, as at Gamescom Sega have released some new screenshots:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/17/some-aliens-colonial-marines-images/

My first thoughts are - it doesn't look awful, insofar as one can tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i so loved old avp2 marine part.

i newer like the idea of alien versus predator. i loved ALIENS!

We really need a proper alien game and i really hope gearbox wount drop BALL on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

bumpage with debut trailer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Looks like a bunch of clueless marines running around like headless chicken while everything goes to sh*t.

Proper order!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<insert obligatory "Game over man, GAME OVER!" post here>

It's not that long since we had Aliens vs Predator and that wasn't exactly a bad game, just not a great one (played it on the 360 myself but it didn't hook me in although the multiplayer with friends was enjoyable).

That trailer looks quite good, but I'm not sold on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cool trailer but I'm not sold yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Cool trailer but I'm not sold yet either.

+1.

Will wait for a demo, but I really hope its good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, still too soon to pass judgement, but 90% of that trailer appeared to be either cut-scenes or (yuck) Quick Time Events, so I will remain cautious. Still though, Gearbox have decent enough pedigree so there's a good chance it'll be decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm sold, that looks amazing!

Assuming it wasn't all scripted for the trailer of course, but it looks like they're actually going to a lot of effort to tell a story with set pieces and triggered events etc, rather than endless corridors with spawning enemies.

The sound of the rifles brings me back :)

This will have to be pretty bad before I don't buy it. Im really aching to play a good Aliens game and nearly bought AvP many a time while browsing Amazon. Really hoping this is even halfway decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I hope it has coop

Sisko wrote: »
    I hope it has coop

Seriously this.

How have we come so far in gaming and no one has made a 2 - 4 or even 8 player co op alien experience.

The mind boggles. It would be such a great experience but has never been done or done well.

Given the huge success of L4D - I'm astonished at how little the Co Op gaming genre hasn't picked up more space, it's probably my preferred type of multiplayer at this point.

Seriously this.

How have we come so far in gaming and no one has made a 2 - 4 or even 8 player co op alien experience.

The mind boggles. It would be such a great experience but has never been done or done well.

Given the huge success of L4D - I'm astonished at how little the Co Op gaming genre hasn't picked up more space, it's probably my preferred type of multiplayer at this point.

A slow moving, tension filled co-op campaign with short bursts of mega violence ala L4D, set in the Alien universe is a license to print money. Imagine the motion tracker occupying the second-weapon slot, or even making it a pickup like the Defib. You could play without it, but it would make it so much harder.....
    If someone would just make this please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Agricola wrote: »
    A slow moving, tension filled co-op campaign with short bursts of mega violence ala L4D, set in the Alien universe is a license to print money. Imagine the motion tracker occupying the second-weapon slot, or even making it a pickup like the Defib. You could play without it, but it would make it so much harder.....
    If someone would just make this please....

I've seen the film easily 20 times, yet every spinoff game I've tried has sucked (except Alien3 on the megadrive) and the original arcade game.

Left 4 dead is a great model for this. COOP, 4 or 8 colonial marines, dark corridors, and a team of ai or ai/player controlled aliens stalking them. Welding of doors, short controlled bursts, checking of those corners.

Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I've been following this game in production for years with high hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

the motion detector scares the bejesus out of me :eek: ...while the sound of the assault rifle...god I just love it :D
    Without a doubt the most distinctive gun sound ever in a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

RzsqqxxqqcqvQfacvwc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Demo walkthrough,

Looks brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

"Sophisticated artificial intelligence". Doesn't seem so sophisticated to me from that demo. Run straight at the protagonist, giving them time to nail you with a shotgun.

That said, the mood/atmosphere seems pretty spot on. Which is a good way toward getting the scene straight for some good tension/scares, like AVP2. That had the ambience absolutely nailed.

Still, from that... I'm not completely convinced. Seems a bit more run-n-gun than the previous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

"Sophisticated artificial intelligence". Doesn't seem so sophisticated to me from that demo. Run straight at the protagonist, giving them time to nail you with a shotgun.

And three xenomorphs crawled past the guy without doing anything.

Doesn't seem all that different to AVP's gameplay. I was (Hadley's) hoping for a bigger focus on the motion tracker, and the ability to switch between marines seems to have been ditched?

Happy to buy it but it's not looking to be anything new, y'know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Great job actually bring up an old thread and adding to it, rather than creating a new one ;):D

Alien gets shot right in the face, acid blood doesnt hit him or do any damage... :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Alien gets shot right in the face, acid blood doesnt hit him or do any damage... :S
    Not the final game, so let's pray that it was just an accident to leave it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh my god oh my god oh my god *Waves hands like a little girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Didn't see anything worth getting excited about there. Replace the "Aliens" with some other bad guys and it looks like any other generic shooter released in the last few years.

The atmosphere seemed all wrong to me. Maybe they should go play the original Dead Space to see how it should've been done.

Advertisement