Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Agricola wrote: »
    The real travesty here is that people are forking out full RRP for this turkey and no one bats an eye. Its up on Steam, its on shelves across the world, waiting to rip people off. Could you imagine going into a film where the special effects were only at previs quality, or the audio track was out of sync? You'd be demanding your money back. Games exist in a weird no mans land were rubbish like this is largely accepted.

I dont need to imagine I've seen it...again and again and again.

edit Oh I will remind everyone, review embargo's exist in the film industry, both avp films had review embargos. So nho none of this is unique to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just starting the 4th mission and I kind of like it :o

Sure the enemy AI, graphics and animations are pretty bad. You can shoot a guy and he glitches straight to the ground. Dead Aliens heads turn blue and there are some other issues. The acting is dodgy, the cut scenes are poor.... but i'm thinking so what?

It reminds me of the movie equivalent of mega shark v giant octopus. It has terrible acting and special effects but it also has a mega shark and a giant octopus fighting each other. :D

Sometimes I really enjoy bad games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The only thing is that I'd imagine cyber shark vs omnisquid was made with horrendousness in mind.

I'd say there's no small amount of shame floating around the Gearbox office this week. Imagine having to sign on off on that. Even people who had no hand in the project must feel embarrassed by proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just starting the 4th mission and I kind of like it :o

Sure the enemy AI, graphics and animations are pretty bad. You can shoot a guy and he glitches straight to the ground. Dead Aliens heads turn blue and there are some other issues. The acting is dodgy, the cut scenes are poor.... but i'm thinking so what?

It reminds me of the movie equivalent of mega shark v giant octopus. It has terrible acting and special effects but it also has a mega shark and a giant octopus fighting each other. :D

Sometimes I really enjoy bad games.

Man in denial over here.

I will admit all the talk of how bad it is keeps me tempted to pick it up if I see it going for below retail price. Just to see if it is as bad as they say.

Also wiki has not been updated with plot details so I want to know how bad the now *canon* plot is. I already know of the ridiculous original cast member appearance (and no its not bishop, who was a given) and despite being a rather straight forward chance to fix the biggest plothole in alien 3 it supposedly not only doesn't fix it but makes it full of even more plotholes.
    for those not in the know, Hicks is in the game, and no not just in a recording, he is actually a character who shows up in the latter half of the game and plays a huge role in the story...Yes the writers of this belong to the butthurt group of fans that I despise cause they got super pissed when hicks died at the beginning of alien 3 and threw little tantrum over it, now they've brought him back to life. *GAG*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not really comparable, is it. Seeing as Rockstar is not contracted to make the next GTA for someone else.

Also, nerds boycotting videogames? oh wow.
    That's up there with "I am going to turn this car around this instant" when it comes to toothless threats.
    Worked well enough to lower DmC: Devil may Cry's sales expectations from 2million+ to <1.2million "shipped". :D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Worked well enough to lower DmC: Devil may Cry's sales expectations from 2million+ to <1.2million "shipped". :D

1258035395841.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

took me a minute to figure out what they were almost all playing :D haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

apparently gearbox used sega money to fund borderlands franchise and just shifted off the game to timesgate studio

the pricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

apparently gearbox used sega money to fund borderlands franchise and just shifted off the game to timesgate studio

the pricks

were did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Good christ if thats true after this and duke nukem gearbox is a rather scummy company hope sega can get their money back somehow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gamer boycotts are like online petitions - both ineffectual noise-making that contribute nothing except to make the boycotters feel big about themselves: without having to actually do anything like ... oh I dunno, exercise a little consumer self-restraint & responsibility.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, gamers are one of the most foolish & easily led of consumer groups, and as much as we complain about the ways publishers scalp us, gamers lap it up time & time again; I'd laugh at the fools who paid full price for their pre-orders of Colonial Marines, but ultimately it's going to keep the cycle going.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I will admit all the talk of how bad it is keeps me tempted to pick it up if I see it going for below retail price. Just to see if it is as bad as they say.

Also wiki has not been updated with plot details so I want to know how bad the now *canon* plot is. I already know of the ridiculous original cast member appearance (and no its not bishop, who was a given) and despite being a rather straight forward chance to fix the biggest plothole in alien 3 it supposedly not only doesn't fix it but makes it full of even more plotholes.
    for those not in the know, Hicks is in the game, and no not just in a recording, he is actually a character who shows up in the latter half of the game and plays a huge role in the story...Yes the writers of this belong to the butthurt group of fans that I despise cause they got super pissed when hicks died at the beginning of alien 3 and threw little tantrum over it, now they've brought him back to life. *GAG*

So it says Hicks left with Ripley at the end of Aliens and they went into Cryo and set path for Earth. That ship was intercepted by Weyland. Hicks as the only active marine was automatically taken out of cryo and subsequently taken hostage.

This could explain the fire that caused the escape pods to jettison and how a face huger got into the ship. Was this all done by Weyland?? None of that is gone into but i assumed that was what was implied, that Weyland were up to their old tricks again and popped in a face hugger or two with Ripley as they tend to do.

When they ask Hicks who's body was in the pod, he says .......ah that's a longer story ! That's it. That is what all the fuss is about there is a story as to who was in the pod but he doesn't have time to go into that as your getting attacked by Aliens and trying to escape LV 426.

Still I am enjoying it, it feels more like a half life mod than a full game. If I downloaded it like Black Mesa id be happy playing it. As a full price game I wouldn't recommend. Rent it, borrow it or get it when its 9.99 in a month and there is some fun to be had.

If shooting bucket loads of Aliens with a Pulse rifle while running around LV 426 sounds like fun to you then you will enjoy that much. That rifle does sound so good.

So it says Hicks left with Ripley at the end of Aliens and they went into Cryo and set path for Earth. That ship was intercepted by Weyland. Hicks as the only active marine was automatically taken out of cryo and subsequently taken hostage.

This could explain the fire that caused the escape pods to jettison and how a face huger got into the ship. Was this all done by Weyland?? None of that is gone into but i assumed that was what was implied, that Weyland were up to their old tricks again and popped in a face hugger or two with Ripley as they tend to do.

When they ask Hicks who's body was in the pod, he says .......ah that's a longer story ! That's it. That is what all the fuss is about there is a story as to who was in the pod but he doesn't have time to go into that as your getting attacked by Aliens and trying to escape LV 426.

Still I am enjoying it, it feels more like a half life mod than a full game. If I downloaded it like Black Mesa id be happy playing it. As a full price game I wouldn't recommend. Rent it, borrow it or get it when its 9.99 in a month and there is some fun to be had.

If shooting bucket loads of Aliens with a Pulse rifle while running around LV 426 sounds like fun to you then you will enjoy that much. That rifle does sound so good.

yeah but that opens even more plotholes
    If weyland intercepted the sulaco, then why the frig did they leave ripley to run around fury 161 with a queen inside her for the best part of a week at least (if not more, the timeline in alien 3 is a bit fuzzy). If its because they had all these new alien creatures already back on the sulaco then why did they come after her to grab the queen.

I thought maybe if this game took place between aliens and alien 3 or parallel to it, then perhaps weyland going after ripley in fury 161 could be because of your actions in the game made the queen in her the only viable one, but all articles on the game say it takes place after alien 3. Even if thats the case weyland letting ripley run off with a queen in her or putting it in intentionally and throwing her to some random penal planet goes beyond corporate evil into looney saturday morning moustache twiddling

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    yeah but that opens even more plotholes
    If weyland intercepted the sulaco, then why the frig did they leave ripley to run around fury 161 with a queen inside her for the best part of a week at least (if not more, the timeline in alien 3 is a bit fuzzy). If its because they had all these new alien creatures already back on the sulaco then why did they come after her to grab the queen.

I thought maybe if this game took place between aliens and alien 3 or parallel to it, then perhaps weyland going after ripley in fury 161 could be because of your actions in the game made the queen in her the only viable one, but all articles on the game say it takes place after alien 3. Even if thats the case weyland letting ripley run off with a queen in her or putting it in intentionally and throwing her to some random penal planet goes beyond corporate evil into looney saturday morning moustache twiddling
    What was the timeline between Aliens and Alien 3? I can't remember. In the game it is set a good bit after it as Hicks says he was held captive for a good number of weeks. I have forgotten how long he said but it pushing the timeline our months at least.

To be honest the writing is very poor and it looks like we have out more thought into it than they did.

Real missed opportunity all round. Not as bad as they are making out tough. It is getting hammered because people had big expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, gamers are one of the most foolish & easily led of consumer groups

You're giving far too much credit to non-gaming consumers.

People are stupid and easily led, gamer or no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just heard about this and now I learn it's ****, god damn. back to the first game it is

pixelburp wrote: »
    Gamer boycotts are like online petitions - both ineffectual noise-making that contribute nothing except to make the boycotters feel big about themselves: without having to actually do anything like ... oh I dunno, exercise a little consumer self-restraint & responsibility.
    I'm boycotting several franchises right now, all for their anti-consumer policies.

Street Fighter IV (DLC) -- I refuse to buy costumes that are on the disc-locked content.

Street Fighter X Tekken -- I utterly resent that Capcom think they can get away with disc-locked costumes, colours AND characters here. They haven't seen a cent for that franchise from me.

DmC: Devil may Cry -- just no.

Persona 4 Arena -- Atlus USA made a region-locked game (one of the few on PS3) then screwed around with the release date for months? No, fúck you, Atlus. No sell.

Blazblue -- too many sequels, too quickly. No sell.

See, it's possible to pick your fights AND stick to them. But CoD kiddies are shmucks.

What was the timeline between Aliens and Alien 3? I can't remember. In the game it is set a good bit after it as Hicks says he was held captive for a good number of weeks. I have forgotten how long he said but it pushing the timeline our months at least.

To be honest the writing is very poor and it looks like we have out more thought into it than they did.

Real missed opportunity all round. Not as bad as they are making out tough. It is getting hammered because people had big expectations.

well the timeline between aliens and alien 3 is very difficult to pinpoint cause like between alien and aliens there is a cryo sleep between them, since we have no idea how long it takes to get to earth from lv-426 and where on that route fury 161 is. We do know that lv-426 was considered way pass the frontier originally in alien 1 but not so much in aliens. Considering that the mysterious sulaco facehugger must have had a finate span before it must hatch and start searching the ship for a host (how likely is this? it was established in alien that eggs can lay dormant for centuries) it's pretty impossible to place the time between the two films.

Saying that, there have been other stories that have mucked around with the ending of aliens and beginning of alien 3. The comic book aliens female war actually has an incredibly similar plot to the game's initial set up, it's set after aliens, it involves marines boarding the sulaco and waking ripley and going back to lv-426 to investigate the alien spaceship from alien. But that was written before alien 3 and so the events of alien 3 didnt happen in the comic books. The novelization of aliens female war which came after alien 3 changed the plot that they didnt wake ripley but instead made a synthetic copy of her brainwaves the company makes so she's more controllable and thats the ripley that is in the book/comic (not revealed until near the end of the book) and the real ripley hicks etc where purposely set off on a route to the arse end of the universe by the company so they could brush the whole thing away (hence how it crosses paths with fury 161)

So colonial marines isnt that original of a premise, the only issue is Fox declaring this one Canon

It seems the alien vs predator wiki has been updated to possibly explain a timeline, none of it is definite without playing the game but http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Michael_Weyland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I think that's more down to general consumer apathy than anything else. Technical action games aren't exactly hot **** right now. Hitman: Absolution had a big backlash against it as well (not as big as DmC mind) but it sold really well because it tapped into what's currently popular: Arkham Asylum-style stealth-em-up action.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭klose

I had this game on my hands the other day and was about to buy it in full knowing of the reviews but had to slap myself myself and put it back on the shelf, ive never seen such bad reviews for a game. Cant believe hicks is in it aswell, lets just ignore alien 3 must have been said in meetings while developing the game.

Hopefully there will be a good aliens game someday, something like the very start of the avp marine campaign where your left behind and its practically black bar where you shine the light ln your gun, a survival horror ala deadspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

^^^^^ Dude, spioler tags!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Game over man! Game over

snausages wrote: »
    I think that's more down to general consumer apathy than anything else. Technical action games aren't exactly hot **** right now. Hitman: Absolution had a big backlash against it as well (not as big as DmC mind) but it sold really well because it tapped into what's currently popular: Arkham Asylum-style stealth-em-up action.
    The only backlash I saw against Hitman: Absolution was from feminazis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

DmC: Devil may Cry -- just no.

Getting slightly off-topic, but why? It's the best brawler I've played since Bayonetta.

Getting slightly off-topic, but why? It's the best brawler I've played since Bayonetta.

tumblr_m7l1xncPuy1rzfyxio1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

It was developed by Ninja Theory and Dante looks like an emo.
    Think thats why it annoyed people who hated it well before it was even released.

Finished it last night. I enjoyed that game It could have been so much more (as in good) but I still got a kick out of it.

Wolverine Origins was similar awful awful game but still flying through the air and sticking guys with your claws was awesome.

I think it might have been the pulse rifle and artwork that made this game enjoyable. If it was in any other setting or context then it wouldn't have been the same.

It is going on my best worst game ever list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, despite all the criticism, I still want to play Aliens. I'll just wait until it's €20 or cheaper.

Advertisement