Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

same here. has anyone seen angry Joe's review of it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Woke up this morning and sid to myself, "I'll get that new Alien game, that will do me"

Spent the day reading reviews, much more entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTR63 wrote: »
    It was developed by Ninja Theory and Dante looks like an emo.
    Think thats why it annoyed people who hated it well before it was even released.
    That, and
    • No lockon
    • HOLD rather than PRESS to switch weapons
    • Colour-coded enemies dragging fights down in later levels
    • 30fps animation/gameplay rather than 60fps
    • New Donte is an annoying cúnt
    • Ninja Theory can't write worth a damn
    • No respect for the source material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

GTR63 wrote: »
    It was developed by Ninja Theory and Dante looks like an emo.
    Think thats why it annoyed people who hated it well before it was even released.

Wrong, except on the Ninja Theory part. The fact that a new Devil May Cry was going to be developed by the same guys who did Heavenly Sword was certainly reason enough to worry. HS was a style over substance brawler that ran at about 15 fps and had you wiggling your controller in between combos whereas DMC3 is one of the most technically intricate games in the genre. DmC might have ended up being far better than anyone could have expected but it's still a far cry from what came before.

Good retrospective on DMC3 here. Might help explain the fan fury to anyone who isn't familiar with DMC.

Save your hard earned cash and play something of quality :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's been fairly successful

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-18-uk-charts-aliens-colonial-marines-is-top

Maybe we will get a sequel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched Alien and Aliens last night. I have to say those ages very damn well. With 1080p these days i sow so much more details, then crap quality back in the day. What awesome franchise.
    After i watched those movies i was quite hyped up to play some alien game! then i remembered this train wreck... made me sad... :(

Well looks like i am still going to pick it up, but for a 5eu cd key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

M!Ck^ wrote: »

That actually looks fairly interesting. Decent enough graphics too considering ancient the engine is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Smooth frame rate, spot on collision detection.... some very advanced tech on show here that Gearbox could learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

really disappointed with the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

tuxy wrote: »
    It's top of a chart which includes neither hard sales figures nor online sales.

Additionally, the same was said of DmC -- "topped" the chart when it released, yet shipped less than half of what DMC4 did 5 years ago. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's breaking any records or does as well as some AAA titles but it could still turn a nice profit especially with all the people that say they will pick it up on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Topping the charts is easy enough when nothing else releases that week and pre sales prob done enough to get it to number 1.

Topping the charts is easy enough when nothing else releases that week and pre sales prob done enough to get it to number 1.

I know this but I'm just saying the Alien franchise alone might be enough for this to turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I wonder what that means for the future of the franchise.
    I would assume that the majority of those that bought it did so without having been aware of all the negative reviews (otherwise why would they have bought it?).

So having played the utter pile of toss that will likely be the main thing informing their decision whether to buy the next incarnation.

So even if the "success" of this one allows for a sequel the very same ignorance of what's going on behind the scenes that has led to ACM selling could hamstring any sequel that's actually done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I watched Alien and Aliens last night. I have to say those ages very damn well. With 1080p these days i sow so much more details, then crap quality back in the day. What awesome franchise.

I've got quite a few Blu-Rays but Alien is the best picture, IMO. It looks fantastic.

Aliens doesn't look quite as good because Cameron shot it in a very different style to how Scott had done however it's aged far better than a 25 year old Sci Fi action film has any right to have done because there's very little CGI involved. It's almost all shots of physical models or physical sets. Were it made ten years later it would look far worse today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Beefy78 wrote: »
    it's aged far better than 25 year old Sci Fi action film has any right to have done because there's very little CGI involved. It's almost all shots of physical models or physical sets. Were it made ten years later it would look far worse today.

+1000

Watched both films there recently, was incredible to think all the sets were real sets, the model work is second to none, live action stuff was amazing, special effects were perfect...& the Queen Alien scene is still jaw dropping. There's not a CG film in existence that generates the character, soul & feel those movies captured...& there never will be either. CG is here to stay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

EnterNow wrote: »
    +1000

Watched both films there recently, was incredible to think all the sets were real sets, the model work is second to none, live action stuff was amazing, special effects were perfect...& the Queen Alien scene is still jaw dropping. There's not a CG film in existence that generates the character, soul & feel those movies captured...& there never will be either. CG is here to stay :(

Very true. You could say the same for the original LOTR trilogy versus what we've seen in The Hobbit. 12 years ago there was more use of real sets and miniatures compared to these new films and the over use CGI really drags it down. Of course fantasy can probably get away with it whereas futuristic sci-fi really benefits from being grounded in reality.

Back to the game - According to the Eurogamer, the modding community is on the case. Sounds to me like no amount of tweaking can save this mess. Reading that the ini files only contain references to 6 year old graphics chips is really damning.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-18-pc-players-working-to-make-aliens-colonial-marines-look-better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Watched both films there recently, was incredible to think all the sets were real sets

except you know the matte paintings, animations and stop motion...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    except you know the matte paintings, animations and stop motion...

Oh so LV426 isn't a real place? :rolleyes: I did mention 'special effects' in my post, which covers everything. Of course not everything in the film is physically real

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Oh so LV426 isn't a real place? :rolleyes: I did mention 'special effects' in my post, which covers everything. Of course not everything in the film is physically real

actually surprisingly its the sulaco hanger bay that is 75% not real.

I understand what you are saying but I need to roll eyes myself when the constant bitching about modern sfx comes up over and over and the sad truth is the vast majority of the modern effects are built on techniques that have existed for decades.

I understand what you are saying but I need to roll eyes myself when the constant bitching about modern sfx comes up over and over and the sad truth is the vast majority of the modern effects are built on techniques that have existed for decades.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for CG for enhancements etc...T2 is one of my favourite films. Its when whole films rely on it & whole environments are built with it etc such as the Star Wars prequels...thats what bothers me. I can't speak for you, but for me...give me Aliens over Avatar every.single.time.

On the Alien Queen:
    Scenes involving the Alien queen were the most difficult to film, according to production staff. A life-sized mock-up was created by Stan Winston's company in the United States to see how it would operate. Once the testing was complete, the crew working on the queen flew to England and began work creating the final version. Standing at fourteen feet, it was operated using a mixture of puppeteers, control rods, hydraulics, cables, and a crane above to support it.

Two puppeteers were inside the suit operating its arms, and sixteen were required to move it. All sequences involving the full size queen were filmed in-camera with no post-production manipulation. Additionally, a miniature alien queen was used for certain shots

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_(film)#Visual_effects

And the results pay dividend in the film. Sure you can make anything you want out of CG effects, its so glaringly fake looking though.

There needs to be a movie equivelent to godwins law for when someone invokes the star wars prequels in a discussion

There needs to be a movie equivelent to godwins law for when someone invokes the star wars prequels in a discussion

Should I have named another CG fest then...I'm pretty sure there's one or two more?

Edit - Ah you ninja edited Poe's Law to Godwins Law, thats fair enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

you lot are too naive, these movies were filmed on the dark side of the moon, and the "trained" aliens from the movie were borrowed from area 51's stock pile... lol, sets and props ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Despite the flaws, the game does seem to be building some support for being fun.
    Might be worth a steam sale pickup...

How's the multiplayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Look at Starship Troopers, 16 years old and the CG is still top notch. Watched it in 1080p a while back and could still pass as a brand new film. Just in reference to the 'if it were made 10 years later' aging comment - SST was made 11 years after Aliens.

As for this game....played the first level. Or, more accurately, played 10 minutes into the first level and then turned it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

If true, this is getting despicable...

http://www.destructoid.com/randy-pitchford-has-only-time-for-colonial-marines-praise-245943.phtml

I can't believe Gearbox has gone from BiA / Borderlands / Half life powerhouse to Duke Nukem / Colonial marines in 2 short years. Never figured Pitchford to be of the Molyneux's and Dyack's of this world. :mad:

edit: Jim Sterling has been blocked by Pitchford because of the article lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

When Jim Sterling (a man who is the epitome of every selfish self centered loud mouth entitled little 14 year old prick. A man who has never created anything of note, yet thinks everyone should listen to his opinion as if he is the voice of experience) can call your credibility into question, things have gone seriously wrong.

He spends two or three articles calling him a liar then wonders why he doesn't want to respond to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

When Jim Sterling (a man who is the epitome of every selfish self centered loud mouth entitled little 14 year old prick. A man who has never created anything of note, yet thinks everyone should listen to his opinion as if he is the voice of experience) can call your credibility into question, things have gone seriously wrong.

He spends two or three articles calling him a liar then wonders why he doesn't want to respond to him.

You don't like Jim Sterling, fine. How does that invalidate his article? 5 twitter accounts created within a day all licking Pitchford's hole over a game which has been a PR nuke

Advertisement