Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And yet, here we are.

Which seems to show the inherent difficulty of making a good game, regardless of the the subject matter, than most people heckling from the peanut gallery would care to acknowledge.

You seemed to cut out the bit where I mention a good Aliens-based game. And as others have pointed out most of the AvP games, bar the 2010 variety, have been excellent uses of the franchise (including the arcade beat 'em up!) Alien 3 on the SNES was a ropey adaptation but solid game. Hell, the spectrum game was pretty good :)

It's fairly clear at this stage the failings of Colonial Marines were primarily administrative & managerial ones, not a problem with the potential of the franchise; even if it wasn't my personal preference on what a good Alien game should be about, colonial marines vs. xenos as a concept is practically made for video-games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Oh, you mean like the 2010 Aliens vs. Predator game, right?

No I don't that was made in less than two years by a small developer who are not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

true dat, Rebellion are ****. Just seem to keep on churning out utter crap these days. I don't even recall ever seeing NeverDead for sale in any shops, and the Sniper Elite zombies thing just seems like an awful quick money grab effort. I did somewhat enjoy the Marine campaign in AvP 2010 but the rest of the game itself didn't interest me at all, so I only got about 4 hours worth of game time out of the whole thing.

Alien Trilogy is another one of the Alien games I thought was quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

tuxy wrote: »
    No I don't that was made in less than two years by a small developer who are not very good.

Good, you're catching on.

Like pixelburb you're making the same mistake of assuming that you can make a "good" aliens game by simply taking an arbitrary amount of time and adding the franchise license.
    It doesn't work that way, as evidenced by the 2010 game which took about two years, and had a decent developer at the helm (you know, rebellion, the guys who made the 1st AvP game people are so fucking fond of?)

The fact that I have to belabour this basic point is simple stunning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good, you're catching on.

Like pixelburb you're making the same mistake of assuming that you can make a "good" aliens game by simply taking an arbitrary amount of time and adding the franchise license.
    It doesn't work that way, as evidenced by the 2010 game which took about two years, and had a decent developer at the helm (you know, rebellion, the guys who made the 1st AvP game people are so fucking fond of?)

The fact that I have to belabour this basic point is simple stunning.

I'm never assumed any such thing, nor made any connection between length of time and final quality; you had seemed to be scoffing at the idea that a good game was 'easy'; but if that's not the point being made, then tbh maybe it's because your constant passive-aggressive stylings make it difficult to divine the meaning behind your posts sometimes :)

In any case, Rebellion haven't been a decent developer in some time, probably since AvP really; so whilst the nostalgia factor had people excited, most who knew Rebellions back-catalogue had guarded optimism towards AvP:2010. If anything, Colonial Marines has made Rebellions mediocre effort look positively stellar at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pixelburp wrote: »
    then tbh maybe it's because your constant passive-aggressive stylings make it difficult to divine the meaning behind your posts sometimes :)

Yes this is the main thing that stands out in his posts.
    Hooradiation, if you have some kind of issues you should not bring it out like this if you want a coherent discussion.

Anyway my point was a decent development time and a team with a good track record is what's needed for a good AAA title. It's no guarantee but I think the Alien franchise deserves this chance which it has never had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am going to redownload AVP 2010 edition. So far I headd it is a lot better then colonial marines. Costed me a fiver too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I am going to redownload AVP 2010 edition. So far I headd it is a lot better then colonial marines. Costed me a fiver too...
    I actually really liked it. Played through it for a 2nd time just a few months ago and it holds up surprisingly well. The predator campaign is well worth the fiver alone.

Meatwad wrote: »
    I actually really liked it. Played through it for a 2nd time just a few months ago and it holds up surprisingly well. The predator campaign is well worth the fiver alone.

I heard it had quite awesome multipler modes, which were more of " thinking outside of box" type. Looking forward to play as Allien or marine tonigh/tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I heard it had quite awesome multipler modes, which were more of " thinking outside of box" type. Looking forward to play as Allien or marine tonigh/tomorrow.

Multiplayer was good but its practically dead now. There was a steam group I saw that still have regular matches and their own server , so if you fancy playing multiplayer have a quick look through the groups ,otherwise you probably won't get one game,which is fairly disappointing as it is/was rather good and better than some of the better know mp games with high player population.

• Advertisement

I never actually completed AvP:2010, I vaguely recall it running like a pig on my machine, and coupled with gaming ADD, I gave up on it.
    All this talk has definitely stirred my interest again though, must give it a fair shakedown all the way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If anything, all this talk and disappointment of A:CM has made people go back, play, and kind of appreciate some elements AVP:2010 now :pac:

I haven't actually played it but I've been tempted to so I could get the sour taste of this game out of me mouth.

LOL what are the odds of AVP 2010 sky rocketing in sales now! :D ReReview anyone? :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm never assumed any such thing, nor made any connection between length of time and final quality; you had seemed to be scoffing at the idea that a good game was 'easy'; but if that's not the point being made,

Yes, it is.
    If you go back and read where this stupid shit all started the whole idea was that it was just simple to make a good game because "it's Aliens, durr, I mean just copy AvP1/2!"
    Pointing out that it isn't true is apparently a big fucking deal.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes this is the main thing that stands out in his posts.

Well if you're that sensitive you're in good company, it would seem.
    I hear there's a support group forming, you should look into that.

Yes, it is.
    If you go back and read where this stupid shit all started the whole idea was that it was just simple to make a good game because "it's Aliens, durr, I mean just copy AvP1/2!"

No, what's a big deal is your inability to maintain a civil, friendly manner whilst debating an ultimately frivolous subject; your inherent negativity is almost entertaining mind you. Maybe you're channeling your inner Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw I dunno, but everyone else on this thread have been in good spirits, whether or not you agree with their sentiments is irrelevant. It's not a question on sensitivity, just basic common courtesy to talk to people in the same way you'd like to be spoken to yourself - if you can't appreciate that, then good luck to you, we have nothing else to say :)

Yes, it is.

Well if you're that sensitive you're in good company, it would seem.
    I hear there's a support group forming, you should look into that.

Why you have to be such a proper Dick and destroy every single thread with your presence? I stopped counting the threads you derailed and completely destroyed.

Every single post by you is like super charged negative and passive agressive bomb.

Why you have to be such a proper Dick and destroy every single thread with your presence? I stopped counting the threads you derailed and completely destroyed.

I solved that issue a while back, I keep a scorecard.

I get a multiplier when people stop being able to talk about the subject at hand and start crying about how i'm such a meanie. It surprisingly common and while you might imagine it shows an deeply ingrained inability to maintain a train of thought I prefer to think that it's simply that you guys know about the scorecard and want to help me rack up the most points possible.

Suffice to say, I am fast running out of space on this card, and I couldn't have done it without you fine people.
    Give yourselves a pat on the back. You deserve it.

I solved that issue a while back, I keep a scorecard.

I get a multiplier when people stop being able to talk about the subject at hand and start crying about how i'm such a meanie. It surprisingly common and while you might imagine it shows an deeply ingrained inability to maintain a train of thought I prefer to think that it's simply that you guys know about the scorecard and want to help me rack up the most points possible.

Suffice to say, I am fast running out of space on this card, and I couldn't have done it without you fine people.

You are not meanie. you are just sad, and honestly, i just start feel sorry about you the more i read your posts. I wont add anything else, as it might be counted as personal insult, but i feel sorry even more about people who have a plesure to deal with you in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We're keeping score too. Your passive aggressive posting style is not welcome here any more. When you come back in two weeks, you better change your style or the next ban from this forum will be permanent.

Mr E wrote: »
    We're keeping score too. Your passive aggressive posting style is not welcome here any more. When you come back in two weeks, you better change your style or the next ban from this forum will be permanent.

God bless.

Back on Topic. My download completed on AVP 2010 ( I REALLY REALLY HATE how they called AVP, not AVP3... )

I wonder do i give it a go now, or wait for tonight and play with lights out and closed doors. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's an ignore button for a reason folks.

Is there any word on patches improving this game at all, or is that even possible? I'll likely pick it up on sale dirt cheap, but even then I'm afraid I'll be wasting my money.

There's an ignore button for a reason folks.

Is there any word on patches improving this game at all, or is that even possible? I'll likely pick it up on sale dirt cheap, but even then I'm afraid I'll be wasting my money.

Its for me in "dirt cheap bargain basket" too. Didnt they announced to add horde mode or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wasn't expecting AvP 2010 to be any good. Rebellion hasn't made a good game since the original AvP.

Well Started AVP 2010 and 12% as marine completed. LOVE IT!

I cant complain and say that Aliens are dumb, in fact, they are very nibble bastards and even with mouse and keyboard its hard to keep your sights on them. I can only imagine how hard it is with a controller. I hope its not going to tank down though. :(
    I would really love to hear from someone who can play both now. I cant ask my friends as by the looks of it they love CM... :rolleyes: I am pretty sure they are just in Denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting AvP 2010 to be any good. Rebellion hasn't made a good game since the original AvP.
    Poor Rogue Trooper, not a stellar game by any means but a solid shooter which was completely ignored on release. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    Poor Rogue Trooper, not a stellar game by any means but a solid shooter which was completely ignored on release. :o

So ignored that I forgot about it as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MrSega

i find it crazy that the uk charts in the last 3 weeks CM has seen number 1,3 and now 7th spot.

as for AVP i did enjoy it and bet all 3 story modes and despite its flaws i found it enjoyable.

Ok, I admit it: I may have just opened up Steam with the intention of playing AvP:2010. Geronimo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I don't have any intention of trying it again myself, I can remember pretty clearly that it was for the most part, pretty mediocre..especially the multiplayer and the "Press E to win" nonsense.

I do think i'll reinstall AvP 2 as I haven't played that in a few years :)

• Advertisement

I do think i'll reinstall AvP 2 as I haven't played that in a few years :)

I wish that someone would get that on a download service because I didn't have a decent PC at the tome of release.

Advertisement