Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Bah typical console POS.

Expected more from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Looks to me like they have nailed it with the location and atmosphere just what you would expect for a natural follow on from the film. Having the motion tracker as a second weapon is genius makes even even scarier as you have to watch it unarmed. 4 Player co-op brilliant.

Fingers crossed to don't make a balls of it AVP style. Or try go the Dead Space route and ruin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i just checked that new video.

i stoped watching it after he said: COOP!!! YEAH!!!!

How can you make a horror survival spooky game in coop....

it jusr defeats first law in horror survival game development: isolation....

dissapointed :(

WTF with this obsetion with half-arsed coop ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yeah, why would a game called colonial marines even think about co-op?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks intense enough, but don't know how scary an Alien is when there's around 20 of them dead on the ground around you :pac:

Some straight up atmospheric sequences alongside the shooting would do wonders.

Also, serious shame the space marines that Aliens popularised now seem so hopelessly generic. Oh well, at least Gearbox have some experience with it given Opposing Force.

• Advertisement

Its not survival horror though,you are a team of bad ass marines nothing about the game should be about isolation. Have you seen the film? The whole point of the game is to let you live out squad moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Definitely agree with everything Grumpypants said above, I'm amazed more people aren't excited about an Aliens game where you and your friends (or indeed decent AI) can play as a squad of marines through the campaign.

The video is odd in general though, I get the impression it's earlier footage since there's a lot of obvious moving to specific trigger points for scripted events which don't sit well in the scene. Alien movement seems to be quite jarred, with little real pathfinding present (check out the disappearing alien at 10:45 that enters from the right of the screen, falls into the hole and reappears a few feet away). Both the human and alien blood looks painted on in many scenes and the player's pulse rifle fire sound effects seem like placeholders since they're quite obviously wrong. Certainly nothing that can't be fixed in time for the Spring release date though.

On a sidenote, I'm really hoping Gearbox put some love into the PC version. There were plenty of places in that video which looked like they could be massively improved with some extra graphics processing grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There was something a bit flat about the demo. I think it could be the suicidal aliens running straight into pulse rifle fire. One or two aliens should be a real problem for the whole squad, not sure if a shooting gallery is really in-keeping with the tone of the film.
    This isnt supposed to be an isolation filled survival horror game where every enemy could kill you with one swipe and ammo is at a premium but I also believe it shouldnt be Left for Dead set in the Aliens universe. They need to strike a better balance with tougher and smarter enemies. I guess playing the game on a harder difficulty at the very least is an option.

That aside, it hit two major high notes for me. I was hoping for a solid SP experience with a few COOP levels tacked on for MP play, but to see that friends can join the SP campaign is just epic. Also, portable turrets. An Aliens game HAS to have portable turrets and if they feature prominently throughout the campaign, it will be a good thing.

So far so good. Barring a really shoddy console port, or a bug filled mess, I cant see why I wouldnt buy this.

@ ShadowHearth

I was going to say that that was crazy talk. This is a game acting as a sequel to the film, so it HAS to be squad based, but you might be onto something. The game will definitely need a change of pace, I for one wouldnt want to play something as high octane as that demo for 10 hours. Hopefully they will work in 2 or 3 levels where you are separated from the squad. A couple of hours sneaking around in the dark, alone with low ammo would be a nice change and would hark back to the old AvP games from 10 years ago which were high on tension.

Agricola wrote: »
    There was something a bit flat about the demo. I think it could be the suicidal aliens running straight into pulse rifle fire. One or two aliens should be a real problem for the whole squad, not sure if a shooting gallery is really in-keeping with the tone of the film.
    This isnt supposed to be an isolation filled survival horror game where every enemy could kill you with one swipe and ammo is at a premium but I also believe it shouldnt be Left for Dead set in the Aliens universe. They need to strike a better balance with tougher and smarter enemies. I guess playing the game on a harder difficulty at the very least is an option.

That aside, it hit two major high notes for me. I was hoping for a solid SP experience with a few COOP levels tacked on for MP play, but to see that friends can join the SP campaign is just epic. Also, portable turrets. An Aliens game HAS to have portable turrets and if they feature prominently throughout the campaign, it will be a good thing.

So far so good. Barring a really shoddy console port, or a bug filled mess, I cant see why I wouldnt buy this.

@ ShadowHearth

I was going to say that that was crazy talk. This is a game acting as a sequel to the film, so it HAS to be squad based, but you might be onto something. The game will definitely need a change of pace, I for one wouldnt want to play something as high octane as that demo for 10 hours. Hopefully they will work in 2 or 3 levels where you are separated from the squad. A couple of hours sneaking around in the dark, alone with low ammo would be a nice change and would hark back to the old AvP games from 10 years ago which were high on tension.

Its a ten minute demo to show off the game i seriously doubt it will be high octane for 10 hours. Most likely it will be an hour of noise and falling objects then an Alien encounter then moving from point to point fixing things with more encounters steadily getting larger each time.

Also the Aliens in the films do run at guns, in the turret tunnel scene in the directors cut how many Aliens are slaughtered before they finally retreat. Think they go through 2000 rounds of ammo. People get confused with the original Aliens and the abortions that followed especially the AvP crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Trying not to judge this early, but I myself like some of you would love to see an isolated section added in. Still keeping my hopes high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Does not look good at all, and if the main designer thinks this is "awesome" then we are in for a rehash of another bad/mediocre Aliens game.

They should just give the project to Valve or Blizzard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fully agreed on the Aliens squad/co-op gameplay dream. Id absolutely love a tactical shooter centered on a squads of colonial marines facing off against hordes of Aliens, within a sandbox style enviroment: establish a strongpoint, look for the colonists, bug the hell out, fight to get back to the pickup, nuke them from orbit - only way to be sure.

I'm quite sure this game isnt it - the "squad" stuff looks to be just staged for effect. Im very tired of the "one man army" Aliens games. There must have been a half dozen games already which are reduced to one marine and his motion tracker in the dark...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I love Aliens and the AVP PC games. AVP2 was fantastic to play on LAN, nothing really captured the tension like having 4 buddies as marines and one as an alien. Watching one of your buddies freak out spraying the flamethrower everywhere while you stood still on the ceiling as a facehugger was always hilarious!

This, however, doesn't fill me with much hope. Scripted scenes do nothing for me since CoD and others milked it clean and there's clearly alot of work to be done with the AI, there is nothing special about it at all. Really, what's different to the AI here than the one in the AVP games? They still climbed the walls and roof back then and were bastards to kill. Here, they just showed in the demo how stupid they were by running at you giving you simple shots.

I still won't write the game off based on 10 minute early footage, though. Would love for this game to really work and they do have the nods to Aliens, which I did like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

There is sooooooo much potential here for a great game! If they don't get it right this time, oh I dunno!!

Maybe id software show be developing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

LISTEN UP MARINES !!!

Aliens is showing in the IFI on Oct 31st for its 25th anniversary!

It will be presented by Cpl.Hicks in person, you can call him Michael Biehn though.

So stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! (already got me 3 tickets)

http://www.ifibooking.ie/bookingmovieDetails.tpl?showcode=7621

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

A new video, anyone getting this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As much as I want to be super pumped about this game, the constant delays, including the most recent one, really have me worried. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks like it will be best to wait for reviews on this one, i imagine it'll be either amazing or really really ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Yeah, want it to be great, but will definitely be waiting for some feedback before shelling out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

gizmo wrote: »
    As much as I want to be super pumped about this game, the constant delays, including the most recent one, really have me worried. :(

chill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That's same crowd that made duke nuken forever? the ones that did awesome trailers and game was a wee bit ****? The ones who promised an amazing game, but it turned out super mega ****?

I will wait, I am still sour after balls of steel edition...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

BeefyS wrote: »
    chill

Aliens games have a nasty habit of sucking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Aliens games have a nasty habit of sucking

The most recent ones sure do but the original AvP in 1999 was awesome (the sequel not as good but better than the recent ones) had such a tense atmosphere when you were the marine, also Aliens arcade edition was great still is today if you can play it and so was Alien trilogy tense too even though the aliens were 2d ha ha ha, lets hope they can match what rebellion achieved 13 years ago :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well as the thread-starter, I suppose I should be super-excited about this game; but in truth I'm probably in the same camp as gizmo. Initial excitement gave way to scepticism & I reserve the right to remain cynical this will be any good. Like a lot of remakes in the cinema at the moment, I have a sneaking suspicion that this game will spend too much time riffing on James Cameron's 'Aliens' than actually forging a decent game in its own right. I certainly wasn't impressed by the Randy Pitchford narrated gameplay that was released some time ago.

Also, by picking the least scary & least horror-based film in the franchise, there's not much hope that Colonial Marines is going to be that scary. Maybe if they play on the vulnerability, but something tells me that won't happen. AvP 1999 worked as a horror game precisely because you were an isolated marine with f*ck all ammo; this new game looks like Gears of War in first person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they used music from Moon for the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

With some of the recent PC titles seen I can't say I'm hugely impressed with it graphically. Never buy shooters new (not worth the money) but might give it a go when the price comes down. Looks decent.

does the video say fall 2012 or 2072 :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    A new video, anyone getting this?

Cool video in Imo.......why was it delayed?and when is the new release date?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Skerries wrote: »
    they used music from Moon for the trailer

I was just about to post about this,I knew the music sounded familiar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I remember Randy saying in the gameplay footage something like "sophisticated artifical intelligence" in reference to the aliens climbing walls.

They had that shìt 13 years ago on AVP. The 1st 2 AVP games are the only games of the this franchise that I've ever liked.

I won't raise my hopes on this game until I play it. Co-op does sound fun and they'd want to be morons to be able to mess it up so bad.

Advertisement