Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has there been any details released about this other Aliens title - can't seem to find any myself, albeit with minimal searching on my part. The more I'm seeing of Colonial Marines, the more I'm turning off on the whole concept, so am curious if CA might have something a little more imaginative in line with the franchise.

nope they've been mum on the whole thing.

Hell them even working on an alien title only got leaked via an MP tweeting about it by mistake.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-8345-Tory-MP-Ed-Vaizey-Outs-Creative-Assembly-s--Alien-Blockbuster-.html

But all things seem to point to it being more akin to dead space and classic resident evil then to the shooters of AVP.

It has a multiplayer component. Which if they hit something close to what the first AVP had in multiplayer then hell yeah it'll be fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    nope they've been mum on the whole thing.

Hell them even working on an alien title only got leaked via an MP tweeting about it by mistake.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-8345-Tory-MP-Ed-Vaizey-Outs-Creative-Assembly-s--Alien-Blockbuster-.html

But all things seem to point to it being more akin to dead space and classic resident evil then to the shooters of AVP.

It has a multiplayer component. Which if they hit something close to what the first AVP had in multiplayer then hell yeah it'll be fun!

That highlighted line alone has me excited, haha; that's the pulse an Alien game should be taking, not balls-to-the-wall action. I watched the interviews with Randy Pitchford & tbh he's clearly missing the point of Aliens, whilst slavering over generic-marine-posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pretty excited for this game as i love these films especially aliens so said id pick up the mlst recent avp title for 10 quid in gamestop. Not the worst game to be fair, as a marine you take the most to be killed while as playing as an alien or predator ya die pretty easy.

Anyways that has nawt to do with it, I was pretty impressed with the marine campaign for parts, mostly the start and anywhere where it was dark. Ya really cant see the aliens atall and the sound on the game is perfect in all 3 campaigns (pulse rifle and sensor were great) Hope they do the same with sound in colonial marines with the darkness/claustrophobic/stranded aspect of the game as they did in parts of the avp game.

Fecking hate the avp films though, had pretty good potential though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I didn't finish AVP but I also thought it wasn't bad. The Marine section had its flaws but I thought the atmosphere was spot on. When the motion scanner starts beeping in a dark corridor or room you do feel the tension of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I didn't finish AVP but I also thought it wasn't bad. The Marine section had its flaws but I thought the atmosphere was spot on. When the motion scanner starts beeping in a dark corridor or room you do feel the tension of the movie.

In my case its when I start shooting and throwing grenades at every shadow.
    I never made it very far.......

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RogerWilco1982

In my case its when I start shooting and throwing grenades at every shadow.
    I never made it very far.......

That's how you know they've made a good game. ;)

Anybody else remember this;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This was my first Aliens game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

1G0TP1NK8CIDB00TS0N , i think that was the cheat in some for or other :P

SeantheMan wrote: »
    1G0TP1NK8CIDB00TS0N , i think that was the cheat in some for or other :P

That was the code for god mode, all guns and infinite ammo. :D

I used to love walking around the map spamming the survey charges at everything that moved. Fun times. :pac:

• Advertisement

the lesser known psx alien resurrection game which was surprisingly better then one would think for a psx exclusive fps that came out about 4 years after the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This was my first Aliens game

I had that game as well. But from the same era the US Aliens game was much better. I had it as an import on the C64. Don't think I ever saw it on sale in the UK, where I was at the time. The first level, landing the drop ship, was brilliant and very difficult:

Both games amongst many others are featured on this:

the lesser known psx alien resurrection game which was surprisingly better then one would think for a psx exclusive fps that came out about 4 years after the film.

I have that game. :) It's on my shelf waitin' to be played... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

wasn't there a side scroller one for the sega mega drive? or was it the nintendo i forget, you played as ripley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nodferatu wrote: »
    wasn't there a side scroller one for the sega mega drive? or was it the nintendo i forget, you played as ripley

Alien 3

Nodferatu wrote: »

Alien 3

Both versions were very different. The snes version was more open while the md version had a strict time limit and had you rescuing prisoners cocooned by aliens around the level.

Another 'new' trailer.

Dosent show much, pretty much what we seen before but different camera angles. I'll definately pick it up, hoping it'll be good but havent been in awe at it so far.

So the aliens are on the ship also, aswell as on the lv 426 base. Also the game arrarently goes to
    the crashed space jockey ship from alien also
    Which is pretty kick ass and a big shout out to the real alien fans among us. Be interesting to see how the game pans out story line wise..

I saw that the release date is next year???

For some bizarre reason I thought this was out very soon, perhaps to coincide with the prometheus launch?

very big Huh? from me.

I saw that the release date is next year???

For some bizarre reason I thought this was out very soon, perhaps to coincide with the prometheus launch?

very big Huh? from me.

I think it was originally meant to be out about now yeah but like most games it was pushed back. I thought it was pushed back to autumn some time, will be sickned if its next year :mad:

I think it was originally meant to be out about now yeah but like most games it was pushed back. I thought it was pushed back to autumn some time, will be sickned if its next year :mad:

Yep febuary 2013: http://kotaku.com/5911933/aliens-colonial-marines-will-take-players-on-a-fing-bug-hunt-on--february-12-2013

• Advertisement

surprise surprise, been delayed yet again. i was sure it was out autumn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any suggestion on what the delay is for? Seems odd as most aspects of the game appeared quite advanced; even the multiplayer was apparently stable enough for previews.

Writing on the Gearboxity blog, Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford did not directly attribute anything specific to the delay. He explained that Aliens: Colonial Marines must feel "authentic," and appeal to longtime fans of the Alien film franchise, as well as those who have never seen any of the movies.

Pitchford also explained why some may have felt Aliens: Colonial Marines has boasted a longer-than-average development cycle. He said though the game was "announced" in 2008, at that time, the studio had only just finished prototypes, and was just beginning earnest production of the title. In the end, Pitchford said development time for Aliens: Colonial Marines will be roughly equivalent to the original Borderlands or the first Brothers in Arms title.

This is not the first time Aliens: Colonial Marines has been delayed. Last June, a spring 2012 release date was slapped on the game, but that changed in January, when Sega and Gearbox Software revealed the game had been pushed to a fall 2012 release.

From Gamespot

Gearbox is a company I trust sometimes and then sometimes they drop the ball and now and then they unfairly get thrown into the deep end (*cough* finishing duke nukem forever) but the game hadnt inspired me at all so far so giving it more time can only hopefully improve on it's flaws.

hopefully they've finished off the single player and are perhaps redeveloping the entire multiplayer co-op element into something special?

Interesting that Gearbox's other big game, that godawful-looking Brothers in Arms: Furious 4, has apparently become vapourware; disappeared off the radar at least. So with that + a release slip for Aliens, one wonders what's happening in Gearbox atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 definitely will ruin that series, definitely looking forward for this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

2013 boooo!

Rastapitts wrote: »
    2013 boooo!

could be a good thing too! instead of rushing it out quickly with possibly lots of bugs and problems, to please eager gamers, their clearly taking their time on this and probably for the better? hopefully!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just seen this new trailer(s), some gameplay included

looks... good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

was really looking forward to this
    gameplay now just doesnt appeal to me anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Man, I know people complain about consoles a lot, but when I see gameplay like we see at this point...I get frustrated even watching it. Large, clumsy movements, clearly hampered by a stick instead of a mouse, dramatic autoaim to compensate. I just don't get the appeal.

Advertisement