Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's not due for release til next year, and in fairness i thought the parts that you could actually see being played looked the part. I wont be playing it on a console, and if it's a port from console, i'm fairly certain gearbox will have a good grip on it.
    I'm looking forward to it :) but ye know, there's not much else on the horizon, or at least on my horizon in regards of games that could be awesome until next year, this just happens to be one i've been looking forward to for years, maybe i'm blinded by that and my fondness of the franchise itself, and i guess time will tell. Half a year to go..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the straight horizontal movements are a bit of a give-away the gameplay's on a console. It all looks very pedestrian tbh, very cookie-cutter. In fact it reminds me a LOT of Gearbox's Duke Nukem.

I'd completely forgotten about this game tbh, and watching this video does nothing to renew my interest. The Aliens simply don't work as an enemy in a FPS context, and all the talk in the video is about weaponry & equipment; you'd think if they were paying attention to the movie they're slavishly following, they might figure for the Aliens to work as a threat, the marines had to first lose most of their weapons.

Something along the free-roaming, survivalist lines of Dead Island, maybe mixed in with the atmosphere and lonely dread of Amnesia - now that's the kind of template that would work for the Aliens franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fact it reminds me a LOT of Gearbox's Duke Nukem.

Duke nukem forever? i've played that, and regretted it, i didnt see any similarity to it there at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Duke nukem forever? i've played that, and regretted it, i didnt see any similarity to it there at all.
    Not in art-direction obviously, but the game looks to being plumbing a similar vein of being a samey corridor-shooter, with samey gunplay mixed with noninteractive 'action' cut-scenes. Maybe it doesn't resemble a 'LOT' like DNF, but it gives me definite flashbacks to playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Zillah wrote: »
    Man, I know people complain about consoles a lot, but when I see gameplay like we see at this point...I get frustrated even watching it. Large, clumsy movements, clearly hampered by a stick instead of a mouse, dramatic autoaim to compensate. I just don't get the appeal.

You mean the bit where he's firing the smart-gun?

Gosh, I wonder why that might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Man, I know people complain about consoles a lot, but when I see gameplay like we see at this point...I get frustrated even watching it. Large, clumsy movements, clearly hampered by a stick instead of a mouse, dramatic autoaim to compensate. I just don't get the appeal.

Actually that part of the video shows a Smart Gun, which automatically tracks and aims for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Aliens simply don't work as an enemy in a FPS context,

I thought they worked remarkably well in the old AvP game made by Rebellion. They pretty much one-shotted you if they got close and the acid blood was almost as potent. With that sort of tough unforgiving approach a game like this could work.

Not in art-direction obviously, but the game looks to being plumbing a similar vein of being a samey corridor-shooter, with samey gunplay mixed with noninteractive 'action' cut-scenes. Maybe it doesn't resemble a 'LOT' like DNF, but it gives me definite flashbacks to playing it.

it's a bit hard for me to judge it like that having only seen snippets of gameplay, but there were at least three different enviroments that i noticed. The reactor?/hive, outside of hadley's hope, inside hadleys hope.
    Considering the games premise is centred around the hadleys hope colony on LV426 weeks after Ripley and co. nuked it (it was the only way to be sure, i know it was the reactor not an orbital nuke) to me that seemed cannon to all of the lore of 'Aliens'.

What else do ye need in a game centred on LV426? If it can emulate the same feel of Aliens in a game set after the events of the film it's done it's part. As far as everything i've seen so far it looks genuinely good and accurate to how hadley's hope should be, the pulse rifles, motion detector and smart gun all sounded as they did on film, need to see more gameplay to know for sure how they feel to fire, but hell man, If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I can't watch those videos just on the basis on them calling aliens 'xenos'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I can't watch those videos just on the basis on them calling aliens 'xenos'...

You know they've been calling them that since 80's, right?
    You mean the bit where he's firing the smart-gun?

Gosh, I wonder why that might be.

Oh. I didn't watch the whole thing, the ultra-flashy interviews with the devs were off-putting. The rest of it stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They've taken xenos and ran with it.... What's wrong with calling them aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Oh. I didn't watch the whole thing, the ultra-flashy interviews with the devs were off-putting. The rest of it stands.

If the rest of it was predicated on the exact same stunning attention to detail then no, not really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Creature wrote: »
    With that sort of tough unforgiving approach a game like this could work.

Yeah I agree with this. I thought parts of the recent AvP game weren't bad in terms of atmosphere and setting but they ruined it by making the Marine face a stupid number of Aliens who were dumbed down and able to be knocked down in melee combat by the Marine player.

Fewer Aliens but Aliens so tough that if they get within ten foot of you then chances are you're not getting out. That's an Aliens game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with this. I thought parts of the recent AvP game weren't bad in terms of atmosphere and setting but they ruined it by making the Marine face a stupid number of Aliens who were dumbed down and able to be knocked down in melee combat by the Marine player.

Fewer Aliens but Aliens so tough that if they get within ten foot of you then chances are you're not getting out. That's an Aliens game.

The only situation that this would work where there are a number of aliens, was if you had limited resources to set up some kind of perimeter . Akin to the Aliens film.

I played the AVP again just the other day, as my mate was going through it. It was silly just meleeing and "blocking" the Aliens attacks.

Facehuggers were probably harder than the aliens themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Wow, i'd be really interested in playing that if it's coop rather than pvp, reminded me somewhat of L4D and even Me3's multiplayer.

That Motion Detector sound still creeps me out, awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nice. Far Cry 3 has given me renewed hope for this. Usually these big games, from big studios / publishers which carry a film license are a recipe for disaster. But if Ubisoft can somehow manage a game like FC3, then maybe these guys will pull of something great here! Hope to fúck they do, the world needs a great Aliens game.

Aliens should be such a difficult game to stuff up. Just the idea of turning the lights out in my front room, turning the volume up in my gaming headphones and hearing the beep on the motion scanner sends a shiver down my spine.

AVP I thought did the atmosphere quite well at times but did so many things wrong. If an Alien gets within 6ft of a player then the player should almost certainly be able to die. They certainly shouldn't be able to knock the creature down to the floor. That's half of the suspense of the films.

EDIT - just noticed I made exactly the same post several months ago a few posts up. Sorry :D

A plot trailer has been released, shedding some light on the general events surrounding this supposed sequel to 'Aliens'. Looks like set after Alien 3 too, given it references the Sulaco being seen over Fury161... I foresee some retconning going on:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

isnt it meant to tie in somewhat with prometheus too?

edit: retcon?

perhaps they finally came up with an explanation of how alien 3 actually happened (random facehuggers on ship with no explanation)

In the Alien 3 novelization I'm sure Alan Dean Foster said that the Queen had brought the facehuggers with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Cannot wait for this! Those trailers are epic. Now to decide whether to buy a new gaming machine or stick to my offline xbox 360!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Available to pre-order now on Steam but at 50 Euro :0

http://www.g2play.net/store/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Steam-Key.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Xbox version has been leaked so gameplay footage is appearing. This is of the 1st level.

Some jittery animations and the Xenomorphs seem quite stupid by stopping in front of the character and showing their bodies. They seem really slow, too (could be difficulty setting)

Looking forward to it, though.

I'm sold.. preordering for pc now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The limited edition is currently £25 (€29) on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It looks pretty good but I've already got Crysis 3 and Heart of the Swarm pre-ordered so I reckon I'll wait until it's available for pittance on Steam.

The movement of the aliens looks really poor. They could've maybe learned something from a game like Rage with baddies swinging off things and being a bit more creative with how they attack as opposed to running up to you, stopping and usually getting shot in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

3 minutes in - already told how to use a "motion tracker" AND a "flashlight"

'You can use a flashlight to illuminate your immediate environment' - ...what ? ..really ? ...no way !! awesome !! Stupid tutorials.

Is the game not 18's ? surely people who have reached 18 have a functioning brain and don't need to be treated like 6 years olds

I also hope this tapping X QTE isn't a feature throughout the game for surviving alien attacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

Not sure what system to get this on.
    Anyone know what are the recommended specs are for the PC?

Advertisement