Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As I said earlier in the thread, this always had the potential for disaster (and apparently GamesTM have given it a 4/10 - a rarity for such a high-profile release). Aliens is a lot of fun as a film, but unfortunately it's iconography and action has long since become cliché in film and game alike. James Cameron made 'gruff space marines in dark corridors against dangerous predator' look slick and compelling, but that was a long time ago. The corridor shooter against extraterrestrial canon fodder is one of gaming's most familiar and downright laziest genres, and this always ran the risk of seeming a bit trite compared to the hundreds of games that came before it.

Bring on the long-promised survival horror game instead ;)

Presume you mean Creative Assembly's rumoured game/vaporware; well it's still listed as one of their games:
    http://www.creative-assembly.com/games/
    the thumbnail links off to their jobs section - whose jobs contain references to working within the Alien universe - mysterious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Precisely. I'd wager that once the dust settles on Colonial Marines we'll be in for a nice reveal on that one.

Pity to see CM get this kind of treatment though, it really deserves better. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

As I said earlier in the thread, this always had the potential for disaster (and apparently GamesTM have given it a 4/10 - a rarity for such a high-profile release). Aliens is a lot of fun as a film, but unfortunately its iconography and action has long since become cliché in film and game alike. James Cameron made 'gruff space marines in dark corridors against dangerous predator' look slick and compelling, but that was a long time ago. The corridor shooter against extraterrestrial canon fodder is one of gaming's most familiar and downright laziest genres, and this always ran the risk of seeming a bit trite compared to the hundreds of games that came before it.

The problem with CM is very simple - too many Xenomorphs who take too few bullets to die.

For anyone that's interested;

Special on the Limited Version for P.C.

http://www.g2play.net/store/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Steam-Key.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Best bet is to wait for a Steam sale and pick it up for a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Disappointing. So much potential squandered. You can tell from that 15 minute playthrough video that there was something up with this game. They seemed to nail the look of the film and the attention to detail(s) was great but there was something souless about it. The desperate voice acting didnt help either. Cannot be arsed with a COD-like shooting gallery.

An Aliens game in the mould of Dead Space 1 wouldnt have been to hard would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why, why, why, whyyyy is it so hard for someone to make a decent Aliens game? the survivial horror thing would work, set it on LV-426 during the initial infestation before Ripley and the marines get there, barely any weapons, having to seal off sections and make a stand instead of the usually mow down everything that moves routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://stickskills.com/2013/02/11/rumor-aliens-colonial-marines-campaign-not-made-by-gearbox/

This article speculates that Gearbox only did the multiplayer & that another studio handled the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I watched interviews with the production guys and director, how in this day and age do they manage to cock a game up so badly, especially when all the groundwork and art and sounds and atmosphere are already done?

For the love of god, just hand the franchise to the left 4 dead team. Are vicious aliens, welding doors, making last stands, surviving on lv426 too hard to ask for? that's literally all we want

Sigh....

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/aliens-colonial-marines-360ps3-review

Why do Gearbox insist on talking on half-finished projects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Quite excited about this game! :D
    pixelburp wrote: »
    After the abominable third Aliens vs. Predator game

As in, this game?
    Is this the general consensus? Blindly bought this game without reading reviews when it game out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ben Kuchera tears it apart on the PA Report. I'm seeing similar reactions on Twitter. Game seems to be a total mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've no issue with an Aliens game being a big shooter. Aliens the film is a big shooter. That's what is so damned cool about it. But there needs to be a middle ground. The Aliens need to be tough, hard to kill, and if they get within 6ft of a Marine then it should be highly unlikely that the human is going to survive.

I didn't mind AvP. I thought there were some decent parts to it but the fact that the Marines were so easily able to stun the Aliens in melee combat really hurt it.

As some one said earlier, the key is fewer Aliens which take a lot more bullets to kill.

EDIT - I do wonder how the game can seemingly be unfinished when it was put back, and put back. Very odd.

EDIT 2 - The Guardian (who I typically rate when it comes to game reviews) give it 4 out of 5.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2013/feb/12/alien-colonial-marines-game-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The game had been outsourced to about 4 companies in total, I think. Nothing too unusual but Gearbox were supposedly only known to have taken on the multiplayer and be pretty much the face of this game.

The gameplay from the demo showed at E3 2011 is non-existent, too.

ZwUzYbj.gif?1

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm glad I dodged a bullet and didn't pre-order, the review embargo gave the game away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    I'm glad I dodged a bullet and didn't pre-order, the review embargo gave the game away.
    Dito. Looks like a complete mess alright. :(

Aliens: Colonial Marines "primary development" outsourced to Section 8 developer TimeGate Studios - report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Eurogamer 3/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-review

Time to strike this one off my list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So it looks like this is going to be the worst received high profile game since Duke Nukem Forever.

Maybe Borderlands is just a fluke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Damn wanted this one to be good, Its been posted to me on preorder already....would cancel it if I could now....bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So it looks like this is going to be the worst received high profile game since Duke Nukem Forever.

Maybe Borderlands is just a fluke.

Borderlands was made by Gearbox from start to finish.

The other games are hand me down mess ups. Gearbox just did what they could with a bad hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

a good aliens game ?, seems too good to be true.... then again these are the guys who made dukenukem, and boarderlands.. some people might argue that boarderlands is a great game, but i dont think it has any soul, just co-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

a good aliens game ?, seems too good to be true.... then again these are the guys who made dukenukem, and boarderlands.. some people might argue that boarderlands is a great game, but i dont think it has any soul, just co-op.

A good Aliens game, yep. There are 2 that come to mind, Aliens V Predator 1 and 2 on the PC. Great shooters in their day.

Gearbox did not make DNF, they stuck the bits together and stuffed it in a box as best they could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    Why, why, why, whyyyy is it so hard for someone to make a decent Aliens game? the survivial horror thing would work, set it on LV-426 during the initial infestation before Ripley and the marines get there, barely any weapons, having to seal off sections and make a stand instead of the usually mow down everything that moves routine.

It would be nice if a game came out that wanted/tried to emulate the atmosphere from any of the other Alien movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I literally waited half of my life for this game to be released :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

A good Aliens game, yep. There are 2 that come to mind, Aliens V Predator 1 and 2 on the PC. Great shooters in their day.

Gearbox did not make DNF, they stuck the bits together and stuffed it in a box as best they could.

You know iv read on NG4 that apparently the single player for aliens CM was made by another dev team, and gearbox polished it up alittle and done the multiplayer. Sounds like a mess of a way to produce a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Going to be huge disappointment in the gaming community it seems. I was really looking forward to another aliens game. Mostly I think I was looking forward to the motion sensor sound :P

Advertisement