Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aliens : Colonial Marines

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least we have Aliens: Infestation on the DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Azza wrote: »
    the review embargo gave the game away.

Again, that means absolutely nothing these days. Revengeance is also embargoed, for example, until launch day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

This third release is what they’ve been waiting for, a first person shooter from Borderlands developer Gearbox that attempts to be a direct sequel to the original 1986 movie. The very obvious problem with that though is that many gamers alive today will have never seen or even heard of the movie.

gtfo :mad:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I was kind of expecting this from what I had heard. Wasn't expecting it to be quite so bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Has anyone here actually played this yet? I was going to pick this up after work but now in two minds..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Originally Posted by Wolverine359
    GameCentral's review:
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/02/12/aliens...s-war-3417232/
    This third release is what they’ve been waiting for, a first person shooter from Borderlands developer Gearbox that attempts to be a direct sequel to the original 1986 movie. The very obvious problem with that though is that many gamers alive today will have never seen or even heard of the movie.
    Wossack wrote: »
    gtfo :mad:

IKR? Any self-respecting gamer (or human being for that matter) should have seen Aliens at least twice by now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Ridley

Deisler wrote: »
    Has anyone here actually played this yet? I was going to pick this up after work but now in two minds..

I got it this morning but seeing the derpy alien before I left the house did nothing to deminish my interest. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ZwUzYbj.gif?1

So do the Aliens not crawl along roofs to ambush you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

COYVB wrote: »
    Again, that means absolutely nothing these days. Revengeance is also embargoed, for example, until launch day
    Yes but it's also been shown off extensively to the press and had two public demos. Sure, an embargo on its own doesn't mean everything but when combined with everything else, it's enough to raise serious suspicion.

Also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

gizmo wrote: »
    Yes but it's also been shown off extensively to the press and had two public demos. Sure, an embargo on its own doesn't mean everything but when combined with everything else, it's enough to raise serious suspicion.

Also...

Greatest. Clip. Ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

YT Video

Ah too funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Another franchise gearbox butchered? They should just do Borderlands and stay the feck away from anything that is at least remotely decent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Also...

LMFAO!, priceless, spaceballs aint got sh*t on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    The game had been outsourced to about 4 companies in total, I think. Nothing too unusual but Gearbox were supposedly only known to have taken on the multiplayer and be pretty much the face of this game.

The gameplay from the demo showed at E3 2011 is non-existent, too.

ZwUzYbj.gif?1

That alien looks like it ran out of toilet roll halfway through and is gone for a wander to find more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That Penny Arcade report is pretty rough! Jesus, I expected a half baked, souless shooter. I didnt expect the game to be a bug ridden (har) mess.

The devs seemed to think that just creating a few levels packed with movie references and easter eggs equals a game!

They had 2 choices here. If they wanted to stick to a very cinematic experience, just make a very linear shooter in which the player just navigates his gun from one cut scene to the next. To balance this lack of freedom, make the shooting at least adequate and weighty, the enemies smart, and write a quality plot. Employ grade A voice actors.

OR...... move away from the COD model completely and go down the road of the Batman Arkham games. Make full and appropriate use of the myriad of gadgets and weapons in this universe, give people a variety of playstyles of try out, introduce different types of enemies that require different strategies to take down etc. In effect make the game more gamey instead of just making an interactive version of the film. It might be slightly out of whack with the cannon, but it would be a game, which I think is what people want here.

Above all else, make sure the aliens are the most dangerous enemy the player can face. Give the player plenty of options for avoiding them instead of engaging.

None of this is rocket science, so it seems to me its just a case of people making the decision that they have a lucrative license which negates the need to work hard to make a decent game.

For **** sake. Can you imagine trying that in the original AvP games? You'd have your face ripped off within bloody seconds. :(

Note this video was taken on the Hardened difficulty level.

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

I was so looking forward to this - its the first game I've pre-ordered on Steam for my new PC. Ugh. Guess I'll go play it and at least give it a lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think they should've made the game sand box (on a scale similar to System Shock 2, say) and had it that you were stuck on a base or colony waiting for transport off (like Aliens, basically).

The aliens don't need to be especially bullet proof (they weren't in the films), but the blood should splash and cause damage. Either have numerous aliens with splash damage relatively small (unless you step on a corpse) but recoverable only with special med kits, or have fewer aliens but with severe splash damage. To balance the difficulty have certain guns cause little damage, but little to no splash damage (ie small hand guns and sawn off shotguns used to slow down or knock back aliens rather than kill, unless you get a head shot).

If it still seems too hard, then just rip off Zombiu and have a different character every time you die, with your old gear obtainable from the (face hugged ;)) corpse of your old character.

Have the difficulty setting relate to where your main base is. Harder difficulty changes the location of the base (further away from main armories and med stations), make it harder to defend (more door ways and air ducts to block or guard). Have missions like going out to get supplies, restore some power, deal with treacherous NPC's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Spot on review

Someone needs to get a kickstarter going for a proper atmospheric single player and multiplayer Aliens game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I think they should've made the game sand box (on a scale similar to System Shock 2, say) and had it that you were stuck on a base or colony waiting for transport off (like Aliens, basically).

The aliens don't need to be especially bullet proof (they weren't in the films), but the blood should splash and cause damage. Either have numerous aliens with splash damage relatively small (unless you step on a corpse) but recoverable only with special med kits, or have fewer aliens but with severe splash damage. To balance the difficulty have certain guns cause little damage, but little to no splash damage (ie small hand guns and sawn off shotguns used to slow down or knock back aliens rather than kill, unless you get a head shot).

If it still seems too hard, then just rip off Zombiu and have a different character every time you die, with your old gear obtainable from the (face hugged ) corpse of your old character.

Have the difficulty setting relate to where your main base is. Harder difficulty changes the location of the base (further away from main armories and med stations), make it harder to defend (more door ways and air ducts to block or guard). Have missions like going out to get supplies, restore some power, deal with treacherous NPC's etc.

I would buy that game.

I have it sitting in front of me. Kinda don't want to play because it can't be ruined that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

If it still seems too hard, then just rip off Zombiu and have a different character every time you die, with your old gear obtainable from the (face hugged ;)) corpse of your old character.

And for the multiplayer, for example, use something similar to the Left 4 Dead model. Survival horror, a squad of marines vs tough player controlled aliens. As a group the marines have the upper hand, but when split apart the aliens gain the advantage. Proven gameplay. It's just sad that no company seems to be able to achieve what should be relatively easy - everything they need is right there in the film.

Elessar wrote: »
    I was so looking forward to this - its the first game I've pre-ordered on Steam for my new PC. Ugh. Guess I'll go play it and at least give it a lash.
    Don't play it, contact Steam support and request your money back on the basis that the day one reviews embargo and no demo meant you didn't know it was going to be so poor. Alternatively cite the myriad of bugs currently plaguing the game. Should do the trick and you get to not support this kind of ****ty development. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Oh sega :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Don't play it, contact Steam support and request your money back on the basis that the day one reviews embargo and no demo meant you didn't know it was going to be so poor. Alternatively cite the myriad of bugs currently plaguing the game. Should do the trick and you get to not support this kind of ****ty development. :)

I didn't buy it through steam :(

Yeah, after about 30 seconds of this I knew it was all wrong. It feels like a Half Life 1 - generation game. The graphics are godawful, the animations are clunky and terrible, script is stupid, there's no tension whatsoever. The aliens are about as scary as a bag of potatoes. This feels like a pre-alpha version of the game they first made SIX years ago! Absolutely terrible. Worst 30 euro I ever spent :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Damn wanted this one to be good, Its been posted to me on preorder already....would cancel it if I could now....bummer.

A big shame, had high hopes for this game.. back to Madden I guess :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just watched Danny Dwyer over on gamespot UK play through and hour and a half....he absoutly slated this game, it really boring and the graphics are apalling for 2013.....please god crysis 3 be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

For **** sake. Can you imagine trying that in the original AvP games? You'd have your face ripped off within bloody seconds. :(

Source.

Wow.... I was trying to be more open0minded than some of you but.... Wow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, that 'Pacifist' video is incredible; at least in Call of Duty the game is expertly scripted to stop you just running on ahead of the action. The fact the NPCs are teleported into place if you get too far ahead shows that this was a conscious decision. Bizarre, it's Duke Nukem all over again.

I'm at a loss as to how this took 6 years to produce, I'd love to know the story behind the game. Because between the bugs, the shoddy graphics & rumours of a 3rd party producing the thing, it's clear there were some shenanigans afoot during its development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Reminded me of this:
    200px-Simpsons0.JPG
    200px-Simpsons1.JPG

Advertisement