Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do we use our time and how much free time is ok?

• 02-06-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I dont know if am posting this in the right place but I have an interesting question. How do you spend your time and how much time roughly a day do you spend doing certain things e.g working, housework, meeting friends etc & how much free time is TOO much? What I mean by this is that I know people who have loads of free time and others who have very little, how much free time is normal/healthy and when does it get unhealthy e.g too much too little. I am just curious, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

What do you mean by "free time"?

Personally, now that I'm finished college I have lots of free time. That said, I'm even busier than I was when I was in college doing things I enjoy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I wouldn't think that this is something you could quantify.
    Two hours free time a day might be a lot for some people and nothing at all for others.
    Presumably by 'free time' you mean time not spent working, doing the necessities, sleeping and exercising.
    Some people would regard sleeping as a great way to spend their free time. Some would regard it as a terrible waste of time.
    Some people exercise every spare minute others would prefer to lie down.
    So really your question could be framed differently - "How much time do you spend on your leisure activities and how much is too much?"

Or do you mean how much time do people spend contemplating their navels? A most worthwhile activity.
    But then if you were a professional navel gazer it would be work, wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nutgrover

Let's say free time is when you CAN do things but don't HAVE TO do them.
    For me this means basically evenings between 9 and 11 pm i.e. when I manage to put my daughter to sleep and a few hour on Saturday and Sunday. Altogether - at least 14 hours a week. Sounds a lot but in the evening I'm often too tired to do anything else than watching a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yeah its hard to quantify "free time". Each day when I get home I immediatly start cooking dinner, cleaning up, washing etc while listening to some music which I enjoy for the most part, but is that classed as free time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Maybe calling it 'me time' might make it easier to think about. I would think 'me time' is when you do something entirely for your own pleasure and it is not something you have to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement