Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working out each way odds

Options
  • 02-06-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

wouldn't be a big gambler but place a ten euro each way bet at 9/4 odds, the horse placed meaning I would receive 1/4 of the odds which I had worked out to be 2.25/1 is that correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

No, the win would be 2.25/1.
    A place only on an each way bet would be approximately 0.56/1, i.e. 1/4 of the odds.
    You would get €5.60 back on a 10 euro e/w bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Go onto Paddy Power because they have a betting calculator on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

For 1/4 odds, I multiply the denominator odds by 4. So a placed horse, at 9/4, 1/4 odds, pays out 9/16.

A 4/1 horse placing at 1/4 the odds is 4/4, so evens, so you'll get your money back.

Just my way of thinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No ourtrail, you divided 9 by 4 and also divided 4 by 4, which doesn't change anything about the fraction.

Basically, your was no way you could make a profit with a place as you won't make enough back to cover the win portion of the best. you lose e4.37 here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dividing the denominator and the numerator by 4 leaves the fraction the same! Walsho is correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 huntedwolf

Unless it's a race where they pay a fifth of the odds. There's plenty of those; non handicaps pay a fifth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

huntedwolf wrote: »
    Unless it's a race where they pay a fifth of the odds. There's plenty of those; non handicaps pay a fifth.

Then replace the 4 with a 5.

Advertisement