Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best cover band in the country

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

I cannot believe that the kings of them all (big generator) is not in the list, considering they were prob the start of all great cover bands and even though they may be a little over the hill now, i went to see them a few week ago and they are still top of their game. And imo Revenge are serious contenders for top of your list, he is a serious front man, Gorilla radio were my ultimate favourites until i heard them this weekend, track loops all over the place. They had a lovely thing going with a warm friendly feeling and all natural talent and now they have wandered off in some other direction, (track after track, after track) and are not doing a good job of it. The ultimate band of course at the min is J90, but they dont so much have musical talent as much as are good at pressing "play" on the lap top and staying in time, which is harder than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mufc2010

mg1 wrote: »
    I cannot believe that the kings of them all (big generator) is not in the list, considering they were prob the start of all great cover bands and even though they may be a little over the hill now, i went to see them a few week ago and they are still top of their game. And imo Revenge are serious contenders for top of your list, he is a serious front man, Gorilla radio were my ultimate favourites until i heard them this weekend, track loops all over the place. They had a lovely thing going with a warm friendly feeling and all natural talent and now they have wandered off in some other direction, (track after track, after track) and are not doing a good job of it. The ultimate band of course at the min is J90, but they dont so much have musical talent as much as are good at pressing "play" on the lap top and staying in time, which is harder than you think!

not two gone on big generators set but there class....dying to see gorilla radio...revenge are epic there version of purple rain is top class

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Agreed on almost everything there !! apart from the J90 Part....

One Laptop is running the LED backdrop and lighting cues, and other one is running Drum Samples that are triggered by the kit to help setup and pack down times from gigging almost every night, the other one you are referring to never had a "play" button, it was running ableton live with various soft synths, NI akoustik piano, and Kontakt Sampler to trigger samples but that has since been retired for the Yamaha Motif XS7. god help ya when the next one arrives cause that will be running and dealing with full automated vocal processing and dont mention the ipad !!

The world is a technical place my friend and some people like to attack it head on rather than blend in with the pack ;)

PMI wrote: »
    Agreed on almost everything there !! apart from the J90 Part....

One Laptop is running the LED backdrop and lighting cues, and other one is running Drum Samples that are triggered by the kit to help setup and pack down times from gigging almost every night, the other one you are referring to never had a "play" button, it was running ableton live with various soft synths, NI akoustik piano, and Kontakt Sampler to trigger samples but that has since been retired for the Yamaha Motif XS7. god help ya when the next one arrives cause that will be running and dealing with full automated vocal processing and dont mention the ipad !!

The world is a technical place my friend and some people like to attack it head on rather than blend in with the pack ;)

OK, first of all, thanks for all the info (i do appreciate that its all very modern and technical)

Second, Do you work for j90? :p

Third, i am not a tecki so telling me "this laptop did that and that lap top does this and the other one over there hangs the curtains" is still the same as saying "the band only pretends to be doing some of the work and makes it look like they can play the keys when they really only know two tunes, but it still looks good" & fair enough! most bands now play with a few tracks (piano or orchestra) but thats all it should be (IMO) if they claim to be a live band!
    If i want to hear the original music from a CD i can sit home or like i said i can go hear a DJ and watch them press play all night! (not knocking DJ)

Four, don't get me wrong now like i said it takes more talent than most people would appreciate to do what j90 do and they are great at it, and i like them as a band but in my opinion they are way to processed for my taste, i enjoy very talented musicians who do it well and naturally and make a few blunders and sound totally live, rather that all that pretend stuff "but we look great"

Five, what is with all the covers band haters on here, i wouldn't go see an originals band if i was paid, i would be bored out me trolley all night, ya cant dance or sing along to what ya don't know. Covers all the way for me, Still a few to see haven't seen recoil yet, are they good? few others not on your list, Epic, Hush, Transmitter, seen any these?

oooops forgot to say, i am not knocking original bands either, i appreciate the hard work that goes into being an original band, and lets not forget they were all original at one point!:cool:

• Advertisement

Hey :) Im the guy in control of the laptops ;)

The laptops at no point are playing any tracks?!? I play it all live on the motif and have many split layers on the keyboard so i can switch quickly between sounds or sound samples.

The last laptop was used as I couldnt find a decent enough piano sound other than bringing a real grand piano so i used akoustik piano http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/akoustik-piano/ for the realism. In fact the laptop did nothing except slow me down when switching patches etc... so i retired it :D

When I mentioned the next laptop for vocal processing, again its only to speed things up live ie: midi switch vocal fx and be automate fx during a song so I dont need to play with the fx rack again no tracks :P

Linkin park, pendulam etc.. etc.. do it all the time but when someone on our level does it and has the ability to access this stuff we get accused of tracks :D

I understand your not a teckie and nice one for admitting it but thats why you shouldnt jump to conclusions about bands using tracks, I am against tracks as I know the stigma attached to that from the old days of the 1st rock showbands, but some bands do now unfortunately.

If you saw us every night you would see on the odd night mistakes and slip ups and keyboards crashing and having to restart etc.. but the band keeps going and nothing is lost because i just jump back in because there are NO TRACKS ;) We are human after all !!

I get this alot and most of the time its great to hear because for me, if it sounds that close to the original, I must be getting something right :D

anyway hope that helps :D

The laptops at no point are playing any tracks?!? I play it all live on the motif and have many split layers on the keyboard so i can switch quickly between sounds or sound samples.

The last laptop was used as I couldnt find a decent enough piano sound other than bringing a real grand piano so i used akoustik piano http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/akoustik-piano/ for the realism. In fact the laptop did nothing except slow me down when switching patches etc... so i retired it :D

When I mentioned the next laptop for vocal processing, again its only to speed things up live ie: midi switch vocal fx and be automate fx during a song so I dont need to play with the fx rack again no tracks :P

Linkin park, pendulam etc.. etc.. do it all the time but when someone on our level does it and has the ability to access this stuff we get accused of tracks :D

I understand your not a teckie and nice one for admitting it but thats why you shouldnt jump to conclusions about bands using tracks, I am against tracks as I know the stigma attached to that from the old days of the 1st rock showbands, but some bands do now unfortunately.

If you saw us every night you would see on the odd night mistakes and slip ups and keyboards crashing and having to restart etc.. but the band keeps going and nothing is lost because i just jump back in because there are NO TRACKS ;) We are human after all !!

I get this alot and most of the time its great to hear because for me, if it sounds that close to the original, I must be getting something right :D

amazing band use are keep up the good work j90..ps try get a few more public dublin gigs ha

Well hey, apologies on my behalf for any assumptions i may have had, just proves how good they are then,:p and i also like their own stuff.
    But i still think all the lap tops and jiggery pokery is unnecessary for a live band, other than a few tracks for keys if need be. like i said i am not a teckie and use the term "track" loosely to describe any thing which is faked (not really played by a real musician on stage with a real instrument) and I'm sure teckies like your self can make music on a PC but thats not what i am talking about! I am only saying that anything produced by a laptop is not really live.
    And i wish them every success in the future with their original stuff & if you are there sound man/lampy/laptop guy then happy days for you. Your almost famous!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well hey, apologies on my behalf for any assumptions i may have had, just proves how good they are then,:p and i also like their own stuff.
    But i still think all the lap tops and jiggery pokery is unnecessary for a live band, other than a few tracks for keys if need be. like i said i am not a teckie and use the term "track" loosely to describe any thing which is faked (not really played by a real musician on stage with a real instrument) and I'm sure teckies like your self can make music on a PC but thats not what i am talking about! I am only saying that anything produced by a laptop is not really live.
    And i wish them every success in the future with their original stuff & if you are there sound man/lampy/laptop guy then happy days for you. Your almost famous!;)
    There's nothing being produced by the laptop. It's a human being using a keyboard to control a computer to perform music. I hate to break it to you but all those songs in the charts and those film soundtracks with their lovely orchestras are probably one or two guys (or ladies!) with a computer. This doesn't make them any less talented or technically able. Just like a guitar, a computer is a tool for making music.

What people don't realise is that cover bands have to play to the demands of the crowd they are hired to entertain. I've seen most of the mentioned bands so many times (through work) I nearly know their set list as well as they do and it can get tiresome. But having been in a cover band myself, I also know that once you get a name for yourself, people will expect you to look, sound and perform a certain way, and people are very fickle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Cover bands are the love children of Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh. They are killing music at this stage.:(

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Cover bands are the love children of Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh. They are killing music at this stage.:(
    Explain please.

Adyx wrote: »
    Explain please.

Cover bands are like the difference between prostitutes and real lovers.... ....Essentially the act is the same but you can buy favours cheaply from one and the other you have engage with fully for favours. :)

I know of venues for new music that have had to close because they can't compete with venues who only promote the cover and the tribute band embarrassment. Therefore, killing new music.
    What is annoying is that there are those who attempt to elevate it to artistic status. It is craft not art.......full stop.

p.s. There are more 'man's' and 'dudes' on this thread than at a Cheech and Chong Appreciation Convention. Which is a bit disquieting as well! :D

Adyx wrote: »
    There's nothing being produced by the laptop. It's a human being using a keyboard to control a computer to perform music. I hate to break it to you but all those songs in the charts and those film soundtracks with their lovely orchestras are probably one or two guys (or ladies!) with a computer. This doesn't make them any less talented or technically able. Just like a guitar, a computer is a tool for making music.

What people don't realize is that cover bands have to play to the demands of the crowd they are hired to entertain. I've seen most of the mentioned bands so many times (through work) I nearly know their set list as well as they do and it can get tiresome. But having been in a cover band myself, I also know that once you get a name for yourself, people will expect you to look, sound and perform a certain way, and people are very fickle.

Hey, i said i wasn't a tecki, i never said i was thick! I am well aware that soundtracks and chart music are made with computers and real music. But a computer is not a musical instrument! It is a computer! And that is mass produced T.V. music. Thats what peeps pay big money for Cd's for. I have seen many great bands preform who don't use laptops or tracks or loops or any magic tricks, they re-lie on there own talent (and again i am not knocking bands who use PC), i am only saying that it is not live music, no mater what way you look at it or what fancy way you spin it it is not a real person playing an instrument. I could train a monkey to press a few buttons on a laptop (again no offense)
    Take for instance, seen one of the above mentioned bands last year, yes it been a while, and they played, MY FIRST KISS, 3oh 3 & Kesha. Unless the band had amazing effects and could make the lead singer or the backing singer sound identical to Kesha then there was "Jiggery Pokery" involved because Kesha was singing Kesahs bit! WHY BOTHER! Why not just have a person sing it! This may sound irrelevant but i am just reinforcing the fact that it is not real!
    Besides all that i really don't think that most ordinary punters who are going out to get wasted and have a sing and a dance really care whether its all a big show or not, they only want to hear the stuff they know whether its magically mixed on a laptop or not! Only people who go just to listen to the band would know or even care.

Oh and as for your man over there insulting covers bands, you are in the wrong forum, go start you own haters club elsewhere, we are here because we like our country's talented covers bands, and yes regardless of you opinion they are talented and a huge amount of work and effort go into their performances & unfortunately for original bands Irish culture wants and demands to hear those covers band & don't really appreciate original stuff as much. So we love em, no mater what way they decide to do it!:D

p.s. There are more 'man's' and 'dudes' on this thread than at a Cheech and Chong Appreciation Convention. Which is a bit disquieting as well! :D[/QUOTE]

I am nither a man nor a dude & and dont see anything disgusting here except for some posters being rude (back a few pages) :mad:

I am nither a man nor a dude & and dont see anything disgusting here except for some posters being rude (back a few pages) :mad:

I wasn't calling you a man or a dude and I said it's 'disquieting' to read the use of the words 'man' and 'dude' in the conversations, not 'disgusting'.

I wasn't calling you a man or a dude and I said it's 'disquieting' to read the use of the words 'man' and 'dude' in the conversations, not 'disgusting'.

ah yes, my mistake:p, but i still don't see the relevance!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭brianh576

http://youtu.be/rkyDUhUFEfs

we dont wanna be in the running for " best cover band in the country " but its nice when people appreciate us at the end of a gig... a simple " fair play lads " will do us.... check the link out.... we love it for the entertainment values... its great to see people having the craic...

happy days guys.... Shaken Edge.......:cool:

brianh576 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/rkyDUhUFEfs

we dont wanna be in the running for " best cover band in the country " but its nice when people appreciate us at the end of a gig... a simple " fair play lads " will do us.... check the link out.... we love it for the entertainment values... its great to see people having the craic...

happy days guys.... Shaken Edge.......:cool:
    brilliant cover of dakota on youtube...cant wait to catch shaken edge live

mufc2010 wrote: »
    nookie are class man lead guitarist is unreal..amazing cover of purple rain they do

Do you mind me asking MUFC if you play music yourself or are in a band, I wouldn't recommend you put up a link to your band in case of spamming, just and answer will suffice.

Do you mind me asking MUFC if you play music yourself or are in a band, I wouldn't recommend you put up a link to your band in case of spamming, just and answer will suffice.

no i dont..i like going to see good cover bands from all over the country.

• Advertisement

Cover bands are like the difference between prostitutes and real lovers.... ....Essentially the act is the same but you can buy favours cheaply from one and the other you have engage with fully for favours. :)

I know of venues for new music that have had to close because they can't compete with venues who only promote the cover and the tribute band embarrassment. Therefore, killing new music.
    What is annoying is that there are those who attempt to elevate it to artistic status. It is craft not art.......full stop.

p.s. There are more 'man's' and 'dudes' on this thread than at a Cheech and Chong Appreciation Convention. Which is a bit disquieting as well! :D
    And why do you think they can't compete? Nobody pretends a cover band is some sort of hugely creative or artistic force. They have 2 purposes: to entertain the crowd and to make money for the members. As I said in my other post they get paid to give the customers what they want. You can't compare the two. People won't suddenly decide to go see new, original bands just because cover bands aren't playing. It's two completely different markets. Where I work we have a cover band 7 nights of the week and they usually get a good crowd. I'd say 90% of our customers would leave if we started having original bands. It is unfortunate that original music is under-appreciated in this country (I play in an originals band myself!) but to blame it on cover bands is ridiculous especially since there's been cover bands around since the 50's or 60's. In my experience too a lot of cover bands use the money they make to fund their own original bands as well. Eric Clapton, mambers of the Beatles and Stones all started out doing covers in pubs. It's a great way of learning your trade and progressing professionally.
    Hey, i said i wasn't a tecki, i never said i was thick! I am well aware that soundtracks and chart music are made with computers and real music. But a computer is not a musical instrument! It is a computer! And that is mass produced T.V. music. Thats what peeps pay big money for Cd's for. I have seen many great bands preform who don't use laptops or tracks or loops or any magic tricks, they re-lie on there own talent (and again i am not knocking bands who use PC), i am only saying that it is not live music, no mater what way you look at it or what fancy way you spin it it is not a real person playing an instrument. I could train a monkey to press a few buttons on a laptop (again no offense)
    Take for instance, seen one of the above mentioned bands last year, yes it been a while, and they played, MY FIRST KISS, 3oh 3 & Kesha. Unless the band had amazing effects and could make the lead singer or the backing singer sound identical to Kesha then there was "Jiggery Pokery" involved because Kesha was singing Kesahs bit! WHY BOTHER! Why not just have a person sing it! This may sound irrelevant but i am just reinforcing the fact that it is not real!
    Besides all that i really don't think that most ordinary punters who are going out to get wasted and have a sing and a dance really care whether its all a big show or not, they only want to hear the stuff they know whether its magically mixed on a laptop or not! Only people who go just to listen to the band would know or even care.

Oh and as for your man over there insulting covers bands, you are in the wrong forum, go start you own haters club elsewhere, we are here because we like our country's talented covers bands, and yes regardless of you opinion they are talented and a huge amount of work and effort go into their performances & unfortunately for original bands Irish culture wants and demands to hear those covers band & don't really appreciate original stuff as much. So we love em, no mater what way they decide to do it!:D
    A computer is a tool just like an instrument. I didn't mean a computer keyboard in my post I meant a midi keyboard like this which produce no sound of their own and are connected to a computer. You still have to know how to play it just as you would a piano or synth. It's not just pressing a few buttons on a laptop. It's as real as someone using a synth with no computer or an electric piano. The only difference is a computer can produce an unlimited number of sounds. It's the same as using an effects pedal on a guitar imo.

Also even they're not using a laptop, many bands use digital mixing desks these days because it's convenient, efficient and allows them to worry about the important stuff like actually making music.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

Nursery Crimes! there a band of 3 kids and their dad, they do a mean cover of 'Killing in the name', saw them again at sweeneys the other day. savage

One thing I would like to add from my years and years, did i mention years of experience is...... (20 years on road next year)

Cover acts used to be about entertaining and getting paid etc.. but now since this recession thing hit, its alot more about your poster going up and you pulling the crowd into the venue in order to command the "real" money. This is a problem to all of us in 2 ways, it makes it hard if not impossible for a new act to break into half these venues and it also means that the 3-4 bands "doin the biz" have to try and keep the circuit alive on their own which is hard going as due to the volume of gigs those certain venues have to stay afloat on just one to two good nights a month.

Remember the rule: what you charge, the venue has to triple it for it to be worthwhile for them.

One last thing, the reference to Kesha 3oh3 song was J90 and I did trigger the sample by kesha as it makes it more authentic and also makes peoples ears perk up and think how do they do that, if you have seen us you will know that autheticity to the original track is paramount for us to maintain what we do. I could of easily sang it but thats what the rest of the bands will do, so why not stand out?

Its a business and an industry after all and if taken seriously you can make a great living.

I also produce original music for other people, for ourselves, do session work and write and score music for radio and tv so playing in a cover band is only part of it and its not a bad thing to do, after all it still involves music and music was installed in me from birth, and it allows you to learn different production techniques to if your mind is open to it.

I would much rather do what I do that have to clock in somewhere I hated, I much prefer a full venue and a load of people forgetting their problems and bills and leaving with a smile, im happy to be a part of that.

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Weird thing is the crowds who want to hear cover bands, are really looking for songs written by "original" bands. So those original bands have to play in original venues. So, when there are no venues putting on original music, in a roundabout way, the crowd could be doing themselves out of another song that in a few years could be a hit, and bands start to cover it, all because they did the rounds in original music venues making a name for themselves.
    The problem now is original music venues putting on covers bands to bring in punters. Nothing wrong with it from a business point of view, but it sends out a message that original bands are not worth a slot. Not good for an original music scene in a particular place..
    A cover band is like a jukebox. Nobody cares who is actually in the band, as long as they deliver the songs well, everyone is happy. (I play in ones every week). I also play original music, and keep them both very separate, and the approach is different to both. I have no interest in becoming a "great" cover band and playing in the likes of Smyths in Limerick every week. I do have an interest in pushing the original music and trying to eventually make a living out of it, but the covers is great to hone your craft, deal with difficult crowds, work on timing, and it pays. I do agree that very good money can be made from it, but it's also a tough job too.

Totally agree, if an original venue is doing this after only being open a small while that's a bad move, but if it's been open for years what does that tell you about the bands going in? Its their job too, to create a fan base and for people to come in..... I do find that a lot of people who own instruments think just cause they write a song that everyone should have to listen to it. I've seen alot of original acts and I think they are great, von shakes and a few others spring to mind, from our trips to Dublin etc... But it's ultra hard for those acts to get what they deserve which is a pity.

We are lucky in the fact that the covers side opens the door for the original side of things such as venues, support slots, radio stations, etc... And we play 2 or 3 originals a night in the cover set anyway but they slot in as people are used to hearing them on the radio which is a huge help.

Keeping them separate is the best way to go though we just don't have that option anymore...

Definitely positives and negatives to both.... :)

Finally managed to catch another SHOW last night!
    Love the new backdrop, deadly!
    Ger is an amazing front man even better than i remember. Didn't manage to change my original opinion doe!:p Still all too processed for my taste. (poor crowd too)

Hey thanks, judging by the post date you saw us in Tullamore, it was our 1st time there so we wouldn't expect the earth crowd wise usually by visit 2/3 a band starts to see the difference.

Each to their own about being processed I understand completely though where your coming from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

My gripe with cover bands is that all the majority of people want to see nowadays are cover bands, it is so hard for an original group to break through unless they have the right connections. Ireland is completely oversaturated with cover bands and they always play the same predictable songs, every time.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    My gripe with cover bands is that all the majority of people want to see nowadays are cover bands, it is so hard for an original group to break through unless they have the right connections. Ireland is completely oversaturated with cover bands and they always play the same predictable songs, every time.
    If all people are interested in seeing are cover bands, then they are not going to bother going to see an original band. People who are interested in seeing original bands will make the effort. I've said it before but the whole point of cover bands is to give the people paying what they want. In quite a few case (such as PMI's band and Royal Flush etc) playing covers is a means of paying the bills for doing their original stuff and also getting their music out there by throwing in the odd original song during their covers set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pianoteacher88

Zero1986 wrote: »
    No way would cover bands reach that level of popularity in the UK.

oh Wow your so very very wrong, ever hear of boogie knights or the bogus brothers, they are massive

Advertisement